1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Discussion on the spell "Magic Resistance"

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, May 4, 2001.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I read a topic in which the spell Magic Resistance turned up (http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001621.html), but it's important enough to have it's own thread so here it is.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Magic Resistance (Priest - level 5)
    Sphere: Protection
    Range: Touch
    Area of effect: Target Creature
    Saving Throw: None
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Duration: 3 rounds + 1 round/level

Upon casting this spell, the recipient receives a resistance to all magic. The resistance conferred is 2% per level of the priest up to a maximum of 40% at 20th level. This resistance is set so if the target has a more magic resistance than the priest would confer, it will actually lower the set value. This effect will last for the duration of the spell or until dispelled.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This spell is constructed similar to the 2nd level mage spell "Strength" and a few others.

* My opinion *
    There should either be a save against it or it should only be possible to cast it on members of your own party.

Reasons for this:
    - It is designed to protect/improve friendly characters, not to weaken enemies.
    - A spell should not be less effective the more the caster improves.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited May 04, 2001).]

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I get your point, when you cast it on a mindflayer with 90% magic resistant, his magic resistance lowers by at least 50%... but maybe they just meant to give the spell two things, to protect your own and a second option, to weaken an enemy. Can be logical that there is one value of Magic resistance (2%*lvl) where the resistant of TARGET CREATURE will be set to.

3. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If I was DM dealing with this, I would let them try and cast it, but it would have to get through the targets MR and a save in order to take affect. This is pretty standard for using a defensive spell in an offensive way. I'm sure the reason it isn't implemented like this is that the game divides spells into helpful and harmful, and has no save on helpful spells.

So, my opinion is that using the spell in this manner is an exploit of programming limitations, and I won't use it like this. If you feel that this is a proper spell use, go ahead and use it in your game. Maybe you think that a dragon is dumb enough that it would let you just go and cast a spell on it. Your game to play, your call.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.