1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does anyone understand the storyline?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Mystra's Chosen, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I only played IWD once because I'm a huge BG (1&2) fan but I didn't think IWD made the cut (as far as a storyline goes). Does anyone know WHY you're in the Spine of the World? You just show up there and the intro doesn't make too much sense (I don't know because the game kept crashing near the end, just before the Cyclop's, so I never found out).

[ March 24, 2003, 22:41: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

As far as "understanding" the storyline, you have GOT to be kidding me.

Seriously. You have to be kidding. You're kidding, right?

As far as the very beginning, yeah; your party just happens to be in Easthaven. Passing through or whatever. Huddled around a table, swapping tales, and making grand plans for the future. Remember?

"Roll up six random yahoos and crawl through dungeons" was the most accurate description I've seen of the game. You roll up a load of yahoos; that is for certain. And it's not often that you see daylight. I've never played Pen and Paper D&D, even back in the early 80's, but from everything I've ever read about it, it was basically the exact same as IwD1. Unless someone imported a character, you rolled for stats, and played a module.

There are some people who live for the combat. IwD has a lot of it. But there is a story in there too, and as far as Drizzt and the little bit of the Trilogy I've read, it's not at all a bad story.

To tie in the whole game, you really do need to watch the absolute last movie in the game. That last movie ties in the the very beginning movie, and cleans up what would have been a plot hole. It's possible to extract it, and watch it manually. I have all the movies saved back to disk, somewhere.

And I thought the opening movie was outstanding. By the Gods, it's nearly a book made into a movie. Granted, the narrator "commiting each line to memory" doesn't really explain all that much, but I guess if you're really, really pissed for 100 years, you might memorize a book you had written, too. You really need to watch the end movie.

I could understand if you were asking about Yuxonomi's rant. She's just kind of thrown in there, but there's a story to that too. At some point, you have to suspend a little belief, and just accept the fact that there are a bunch of coincidences that occur in games.

3. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

yeah, I suppose. But, in your opinion, is IWDs' plot as good as either BG. I mean, a REALLY good storyline draws the player into the setting and makes him feel as if there's something happening to him. In IWD, it'd be hard to play as an evil party because they would just stop in Easthaven. Anyone who promised them treasure is dead, so what's the point of going on. It's pretty much a heroes game (although there's nothing wrong with heroes:) )

4. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

SPOILERS

You are in Easthaven, but there are some disturbances in the nearabouts area the city in the tree Kuldahar... Kuldaharians complain that there are many bads things - bad sceletons, bad necromancers, bad sexual potential there in Kuldahar... :thumb: Whatever, you agreed to participate in a big expedition, and after few avalanches from your expedition survive only you (strange isn't it - there is a big deficit for men in anywhere in Forgotten Realms)... Well, the nice druid Arundel tells you that there are some disturbances in Kuldahar and prays to go and look around in the Crypts of the God Myrkil... After research you find a Ghost Warrior Kresselack (or something)... After some errand he tells you that he doesn't know who is the bad guy... Anyway Arundel sends you to Dragon Eye to find the Heartstone Gem, mighty artefact that could help him find the evil... After you find it and kill a Yuan Ti's Leader the mighty Yxunomei, you return, just to find that Arundel is killed and a strange figure is being holding his place... Before he dies, he tells you to go the Elven Castle Seldarine Hand and find the Druid (errr, what druid, I forgot his name)... Whatever you find him after much battles and he tells you that the problem is in the dwarven caves... You go there just to find that you have to make your way to Belhifet the demon, who is responsible... You have to crawl through dungeons of Fire and Frost Giants and find all seals to enter in Belhifet... After you do that before you show him how the devil may cry, you get transported back in Easthaven... Now is the last battle with Belhifet, who plans to open the Gate to Hell... But immediately a Tempusian Priest throughs himsellf to close the Gate... Belhifet grows rabid and transforms himself into a demon, who attacks you.. After you kill him, everything goes back to normal in Icewind Dale, but Belhifet is not dead... He is just sent back in Hell...

SPOILERS

Sweet ain't it? I like it myself also... Although I want to see Belhifet returns... :)

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Yeah. I only wish that there were more open spaces in IWD. I hate dungoens. Too scary :aaa:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.