1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does the Flavor Change from the Beginning?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by nataben1314, Jul 9, 2007.

1. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] *very small spoilers*

I've finally decided to install my old copy of PS:T and give it a go. The problem is, I just can't get excited about the game. I get out of mortuary and start wandering around, talking to everyone as per the advice here, and I just get bored. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not adverse to reading and I do not expect this to be a hack n' slash or anything like that, but I just have no real idea what is going on (other than "find pharod") and can't get motivated to play.

So my question is, if I just tough it out for awhile, will things change? Does the whole game consist of walking around talking to people in town like that or does it grow in complexity and linearity?

Of course, no spoilers please. I'm just looking to know whether this is a big difference in the flavor of the game from the "fresh out of mortuary" stage.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is a very old game by now. I have found inthe past that I havent been able to play very old games no matter how good they are supposed to be. PS:T though, start roleplaying or something, it is truly awesome.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Quite. Toward the end you may feel as though you're being pulled around by your nose. Of course, I didn't mind that too much since I desperately wanted to see what was next. ;)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The beginning in Torment is slow, this is common knowledge. But keep playing for a while longer and you should get sucked in.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Although the game has been touted as "non-linear" in several reviews, that's not really true. While you can walk around the Hive, then later on most of Sigil, as much as you want, the points that progress the plot are laid out quite linearly. After Sigil the game literally forces you to "follow the yellow line". I have to admit that, while I usually dislike linear games, I didn't mind it that much in PST because the story is so good.

I agree that the beginning is slow, but every time I played the game (whether it was the first time or subsequent replays) I got drawn into it very quickly, almost from the first minute. I'm not sure what's preventing you from being drawn in. If it's not knowing what's going on, that slowly unfolds as the game progresses - though the pace really picks up after you find Pharod. I personally thought that not knowing what was going on was the major drive to keep playing, rather than something that put me off.

I do think the flavor of the game changes significantly between the different sections. The Hive has a particular mood to it, both in terms of the background story, the characters you meet and the quests. The next section of the game is very different, especially the Dead Nation (one of my favourite areas). I think it fair to say that if you still don't like the game when you get there, you probably won't have the patience to go all the way through.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It's basically impossible to create such a complex storyline as Planescape Torment in a non-linear manner. Usually what you get in freedom you sacrifice in plot and depth. There are some exceptions but this seems to be a very common rule with RPG's.

Planescape Torment starts very slow yes, I had some trouble with it myself to begin with. But the quality of dialogue and the depth of the story and characters is something I think is quite unequaled in gaming history. You should be prepared for quite a lot of reading, the game is very dialogue based, but once the plot gets going there is no turning back, atleast there wasn't for me. ;)

EDIT: Also the beginning has a charm to it too, it's strange world you're in and you don't know who you are so the obvious beginning would be to establish yourself where you are and what you should be doing, and that is what the beginning after the mortuary is all about.

7. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

PS:T is kind of like a good novel. You have to put more in at the beginning, but once you get invested you get an incredible experience in return. I started PS:T 3 times, got bored, and uninstalled. However, I kept hearing such glowing praise, so the fourth time I refused to let myself quit. As the story started to unravel, I eventually got hooked, and before the end I was in awe of the game. Best story in a video/computer game. Period.

If you appreciate a good book, or even the story and dialog of a typical black isle game, you owe it to yourself to finish this game!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.