1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does "the perfect role" add to the attraction?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Enagonios, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I realize this is kind of odd (and probably a little bit sad :rolleyes: ) but recently I've found myself developing short-term crushes on actresses.. but only for certain movies.

When I saw The Girl Next Door I was smitten by Elisha Cuthbert (as everyone could probably see from many of my posts that week :rolleyes: ). But I'd seen her in a number of movies already and although I always thought she was really hot, didn't have a crush on her then.

Then yesterday I saw The American President with Annette Bening and now I can't get her out of my head :rolleyes: . Again, I've seen her in a lot of movies such as Mars Attacks, American Beauty,etc and always found her hot but it was only when I saw her in the American President that I envied Warren Beatty, and even Michael Douglas for merely playing her partner on screen (and for being married to Catherine Zeta Jones :rolleyes: )

I was thinking about it earlier and I think that the reason why they stay in my mind for a while is because their roles in those movies (Elisha Cuthbert's bad girl but trying to be good character and Annette Bening's sophisticated, witty and career-driven character)match the kind of "attractiveness" that I percieve them best suited for? I'm just rambling, so I don't know if I'm able to get my point across to you guys properly.

But if I am, does anybody have similar experiences, where it's a certain role that really makes a certain actress seem particularly attractive?

Man, Annette Bening is hot :love:

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Man... who haven't had short-term crushes on movie stars? No worries there :p (as long as you doesn't turn into a stalker or any somesuch :shake: ).

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Oli

Everyone does, I know :) But I thought that I stopped having them when I actually started going out with girls already :rolleyes:

But the point I was trying to make (I knew I didn't explain it well :rolleyes: ) was that I only developed the "crush" on them in these partuicular roles.

Okay, take Annette Bening, I've found her hot on all the movies I've seen her in but when she played a new age UFO hippie in Mars Attacks and an insecure neorotic in that alien comedy (how the hell could GARY SHANDLING be her lover!! :mad: ) and all those other roles, it was just a "yeah, she's hot" thought going through my head. But while I was watching The American President yesterday (and until now :rolleyes: ), I couldn't stop thinking about how good she looked, and I'd just zone out and start daydreaming about her and stuff :/ It's as if the role she was playing (which fitted my perception of her as an intelligent, sophisticated, charming and driven individual) made her seem so much more attractive than I usually found her to be which is why she's still floating around in my head :/

I'm just saying that it's new to me because back when I was younger and developing crushes on actresses regularly ( :rolleyes: ) it was purely looks-based and it didn't matter what role they were playing.

Err, am I a bit clearer now? :) And, as the topic asks, does the perfect role add to the attraction for you?

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The role does make a huge difference. Take Angalina Jolie(sp) in Girl Interupted, not very hot in my opinion. Now take her in Toomb Raider, way hot. The role has connections to what each and every person's memories and experiences are. People react to their characters and not just the actor/actress.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Ah, finally made myself clear enough! :)

Thanks Brallrock, the way you put it makes it sound so obvious, which is weird considering that I never considered the role when considering the actress...

perhaps I'm less shallow now than I used to be :D

I have a more minor question though, and it's kind of weird :/

While your point about the difference between a woman playing a chicken-killing nutcase and a treasure hunter is well taken, what I meant is do you guys have an.. irrational preconcieved notion about certain actresses? I say irrational because, take my case for example, I don't know Annette Bening ( :sosad: ) nor have I read her biography or anything like that, but when I see her on screen, I get the impression that she's, as I mentioned earlier, an intelligent, sophisticated, charming and driven individual. So that when I see her in a different, yet not neccessarily unattractive, role she seems normal but when I see her in a role that fits this irrational idea of mine, she stands out.

Err, so there :) Do you guys also have these little ideas about actresses that really have no basis whatsoever but make the axtress so much more attractive to you if they happen to play a role that exactly fits your idea?

I could just be weird though :/

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

You're a looney! :lol:

Sounds like you're confusing the actress with her role. You weren't all fantasizing about Elisha or Annette before, so I would say you are after whomever they protrayed on screen. Compare these 2 with other actresses you find attractive in similar roles.

I love Eliza Dushku and Drew Barrymore. I like them in all their movies. I think Drew was quite hot in Charlie's Angels, but she's still a hottie in Ever After, The Wedding Singer and Riding with Boys in Cars.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

That goes without saying I think :rolleyes:

I get what you mean kuemps, but I've seen numerous moies with people playing practically the exact same roles as them and it didn't produce a similar effect..

so I guess it's my "irrational preconcieved notion" theory, and that err it's not "normal" and only I have it? :/

8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Enagonis, I got what you meant, I just wasn't in a very helpful mood :p .

It's perfectly understandable... I mean, there's a major diference betwen thinking that a given actress is hot, and then being atracted to that actress (this is where the character plays in). Of course you will identify them with the role, and base your view of the actress on the role... both looks (of the actress) and personality (of the character) counts in when you "create" your overall expression of the person they're pretending to be.

So don't worry, there's nothing wrong with you. It makes a whole lot of sense ;) (though maybe I didn't :rolleyes: ).

9. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I think that there are many factors that can make a woman more attractive one time than another. It starts with the director and camera styles. Then I think that if there is chemistry between the actor/actress it shows on the screen. I think Angolina Jolie's role in Mr/Mrs Smith was one of her sexiest, and I feel it was largly due to the chemistry she had with Brad Pitt. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I think that I think that there was anything going on, they just had chemistry, and it showed on screen.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    well, my obsession with Antonio started with Shrek 2.... :p

Imo, yeah, a role that suits the actor/actress can bring out their strengths or weaknesses and thus create a greater or lesser appreciation of their looks and/or talents, or something along those lines

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I haven't. Go me.

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Keira Knightley was hot in Pirates of the Carribbean, yes, and she did a wonderful job acting, but I absolutely love her because of her role in Domino. :love:

I also love Scarlett Johansson, but only because I saw her in The Island. I've seen her in some other stuff, but I didn't like it... maybe because she had short hair in those roles...

Keira :love: Knightley :love: Scarlett :love: Johansson :love:

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Thanks for the replies guys, my daydreams were being interrupted by the occassional "you frickin' weirdo!" thought :D

<Sigh> I saw The Great Outdoors last night and while Annette Bening there doesn't hold a candle to herself in The American President, it's prolonging my fixation :love:

err, on a side note, I have a 2nd long exam tomorrow in Operations in Research. I took the 1st long exam during the time when I was fixated on Elisha Cuthbert and got a 50/100 :bang:

Hope that doesn't happen again this time with Annete Bening :eek:

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Maybe it's more a guy thing to obsess over a star(lette) in a single movie. Look at Arabwel. She loves Antonio in all his movies. I'm sure she prefers some roles to others (if he's sans clothes or his hair is better ;) ). When I see an actor in a movie and I think he's hot, cute, etc., I'll see his other movies if he made any.

I have movie weeks dedicated to certain actors: Keanu week, Antonio week, Sean week, Hugh week, etc. It's more difficult for an actor when he's only been on television or has bit parts. I'm still on a James Marsters kick. Love him as Spike and want to see more. The few movies he's been in I've seen and he's only had bit parts; he was the cameraman in House on Haunted Hill. Ooo, a whole minute of screen time! It's not enough to rock my boat, sorry James. :p

IMO, if you only think an actor/ress is hot in one movie and not in anything else they've done, it's probably the role they're playing or the wardrobe.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Yeah, I guess you're right kuemps :)

I find Annette Bening hot in all her roles but it's only in the American President where I lost it :rolleyes:

I wish I was Michael Douglas...

no. really.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.