1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dolores Claiborne

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Barmy Army, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    How many have seen this?

I saw it last night properly (saw a little bit when I was a young en) and I think it's a fantastic film. Not many films affect me and have me nearly reduced to tears, but that one did it. Most films today are instantly forgettable. You might finish watching a film and think 'yeah that was OK I guess' but a good film is one you're still thinking about a day or two later.

If you haven't see it, I'd highly recommend it. Fantastic film. Kathy Bates is brilliant as the main part.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, interesting that the very best film adaptations of Stephen King books are the non-horror ones (e.g. this, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me, Misery etc)

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    The scene where her husband hits her with the piece of wood, and her following revenge is a very powerful scene IMO. Great film.

I actually have the book of this and started it a few weeks ago, but only read a few pages before i got distracted and put it to one side. I'll have to have another go at it soon.

Getting the film of Misery as well, I've heard that's meant to be good. Kathy Bates again, right? As the nutter woman? Should be good.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Whoa... Misery. I'll never see that again....

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    How come?

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Never saw the film. The book rocks with no chapters, breaks or pauses.

7. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've watched Dolores Claiborne(and read the book) and it is one of my all time favorites!

Misery is probably the best book I've ever read. The movie is great too, but I find myself saying that shes not as crazy as in the book....Still it is a great movie though.

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

DC is a much better book than movie IMO.

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I agree but the movie is still pretty good. They did censor a lot of the language which is strange. Whats wrong with saying 'clinkers'?

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Misery... two reasons:

The first involves my ex and is not appropriate for this audience.

The second reason is just one word ... hobbling. You will understand that reference when you see the movie.

11. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Heh, hobbling wasn't as bad in the movie as in the book.... She burns him in the book.

I won't say anymore for people who have'nt read it :evil:

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Slightly off-topic but you should watch a French movie called 'The Ordeal' (Calvaire). Its very similar to Misery and has a very creepy 'piano scene'.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah, the 'hobbling' was pretty minging! Bet that comes keen...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.