1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"'Don't discuss polar bears": Bush Admin.'s Memo to Scientists

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Taluntain, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Because not talking about a problem will effectively make it go away, right? Source.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Reading the article it was basically a memo asking government employees not to comment on issues without making sure that they are presenting the government's official position. That seems pretty reasonable to me - if you represent an organization it is expected that you present the organizations position on an issue.

I work for a Canadian bank - there have been a lot of news articles lately complaining about the ABM fees that the Canadian banks charge. I may personally agree that the ABM fees are too high but if I were to go and give an interview with the news media and publically critisize my company's policies then I would fully expect to be fired.

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    The president has no place quieting scientists, whether they are in his employ or not. In the government, dissenting opinions should always be heard.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    JSBB, I understand your point of view, but the problem here is that scientists are rarely seen as employees of a corporation. Because if they were, and the same business standards applied to them, we wouldn't call them scientists, but propagandists, because all of their research would be worthless and easily dismissed as biased and tailored to the wishes of their employers. You expect devout company's employees to lie, cheat and steal if it's in the (perceived) best interests of the company. But we know from recent examples that even dishonesty on such a relatively small scale, accumulated over the years, can explode in a fireball that will end up doing incredible damage to thousands of people at once.

How do you think gagging scientists of one the world's largest polluter countries on the subject of global warming, climate change and resulting inevitable extinction of dozens of species is going to go down with the rest of the world? For one, it won't work, because unlike in a company, where even big dirty secrets can be kept relatively well, every other country has its own scientists who will report the same findings as the US ones would have. So the silencing serves no practical purpose whatsoever, except to confirm the suspicions of many that the Bush administration knows very well how much the US is contributing to the aforementioned problems, and is feeling guilty about it.

But not guilty in the sense of, damn, it might be time to start doing something about these issues. It's more like, damn, we'd better gag every scientist here who might discuss the obvious with all the other scientists in the world and maybe they'll go away.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil monkeys at their finest.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Wow, you certainly have a different view about scientists than I do. It would never even occur to me to think that a scientist would be neutral. I would always expect a scientist to present whatever finding he/she could that were to the benefit of his/her employer or patrons.

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The government is, theoretically at least, employed by the people. Therefore I would expect scientists to give me their findings, not what another government employee (President, bureaucrat, general, or whatever) tells them to tell me.

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Good point: government members are de jure civil servants. In fact, the public should expect that it be told the truth. This is one of the fundamental building blocks of a democratic system.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Scientists should be scientists first and employees second. All government employees from the President on down work for the people and are accountable to the people.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Tal,
    they believe global warming is a hoax. That's a right wing article of faith. That is a result of intense and highly successful lobbying by energy companies. Very much in line with the Bush administration's approach on such things in general, the memo is an approach to enforce 'message consistency'. Usually they also hand out talking points which have to be adopted in verbatim.

Here's one example of such talking points, from a conservative 'free market think tank', The National Center for Public Policy Research
    Such institutions are there to provide a business friendly 'other side of the story', which is if course nonsense. They talk, but do not research. They are merely playing devils advocate. Practically the highly politicised environment in the US means that a scientist, even if he has ample scientific indications of global warming and is researching in this field and an expert, must not contradict the administration, or else, he is implicitly threatened with disciplinary action if he doesn't fall in line with their view. If he contradicts the adminstration line 'no global warning', it will be seen as a subversion of presidential policy and a political attack. That means clearly, that at a certain point there will be sanctions.

For a scientist it must be nightmarish to have this pagan loonies in the administration simply denying the global scientific consensus that's based on data gathered by thousands of scientists over a couple of decades, forcing him to shut up.

Just exchange global warming, which to deny I think is utter lunacy, with earthquakes or volcanoes, and you see how insane the situation is. A scientists warns of an imminent earthquake or erupting volcano and is told by the mayor that he doesn't believe in earthquakes, or volcanoes. You know the scene from countless cheap disaster movies. Bush is the mayor in 'The White Shark' who sais: 'Sharks? What sharks?'

Message consistency in a bank is something else, it's for the benefit of the bank and the shareholders. Research of global and national natural risks is for the greater good, and it concerns everyone. That's what government paid for research is there for. You cannot apply the standards of a public corporation on civil service. However, in the Bush administration that's IMO very much the case. That is what Gonzales does all the time. He does not offer what he should do - a candid and impartial analysis, even where that candid and impartial analysis would constrain the administration's pursuit of policy goals. Instead, he is making a case according to the wishes of his clients, the president and vice president. It's like they own the place.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    There's another thing to consider - the US will not be exempt from the consequences caused by the global change of climate due to pollution. Denying this is possible until physical evidence is not yet overwhelmingly at your doorstep, but when US coastal cities start getting flooded, I imagine it'll suddenly be a big problem (even if no one in the US cares that polar bears, penguins and Eskimos become extinct). Such disasters can result as a direct consequence of scientists reporting only what's in the best current interests of the Republicans and their supporters. By the time they'll stop their denial it'll already be too late. I wonder who'll take the blame then?

If scientists were not also looking ahead and warning us about where we're going, who would?

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    JSBB is right.

There seem to be some confusion between a government scientist, industrial scientist and academic scientist. Nearly every discription above is focused on the academic scientist. However, there are far more scientists working for the government or in industry than in academics.

I am a industrial scientist -- I can only support our products and spout the company line. Of course, I can offer unpartial opinions at the expence of not being employed anymore.

I was also a scientist with the Naval Research Labs while still in the Navy. Any public disagreement with government policy would have been punishable under the uniform code of military justice.

As a government or industrial scientist, you are expected to remain neutral in your research -- exploring all possibilities without bias. I have never been expected to have the exact same opinions as my co-workers and employers. But every scientist is expected to keep his or her mouth shut when personal opinions are in conflict with an employer's position.

Those scientists are being paid by the US government. It is perfectly reasonable for those individuals to keep their comments within the policies of the administration. The scientist can protest and vacate his or her position if the issue is that important to them.

Academic scientists have far more leeway to discuss whatever they wish in any way they want to. There are some restrictions. Most academia requires grants -- the old saying of biting the hand the feeds you applies. Speaking out against any organization that is funding research will generally result in having that grant vacated.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    And the truth and public trust be damned!

That's a load. They work for the American people, their real employers and the people who pay their salaries.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I feel the need to chime in. Ragusa mentioned that conservatives do not believe in global warming. That isn't necessarily true. What we don't believe is that it is a man made problem. Most of us believe that the temperature of the planet is dependent on that big ball of fire in the sky. It is the simpleist and most obvious answer. Recently, I've even seen articles that imply that Mars is warming up. I know somehow Bush and the United States will be blamed for that also, but I swear it isn't our fault.

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Denying that global warming is affected by man is folly and is slowly and surely falling to the same bucket as denying the holocaust and denying evolution. In all these cases there are those who just refuse to believe the mountain of evidence gathered against them and instead choose the comfortable way of ignorance.

In any case I think this largely depends on what kind of scientists we are talking about. If these are working under universities and using government money through these then the adminstration dictating what they can and can't say is simply crushing the freedom of speech. The universities should be free to do research and allocate their money with minimum involvement from the political leadership. If we are talking about different research groups assigned directly by the adminstration then I think it's obvious for the adminstration to involve their political agenda, which is unfortunate but unavoidable. If the research results turn inaccurate or forged then I'm sure the university studies in the same subject will be more than eager to point it out.

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Interesting, I always learn something on this board. I'm not at all happy about what I just learned. You cannot trust scientist. They are not impartial but subject to the whims of the government, the grant givers or where ever the money comes from. Gee, I'm surprised we ever got told that smoking is bad for us. Hey, maybe it isn't. Well, this takes care of all the scientific arguments about things.

:bs:

I hope you realize there is a lot of sarcasm in this post.

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

*blinks* No wonder New Zealand keeps producing all these wonderful little gizmos and gadgets, there appears to be no such government legislation telling scientists they must conform or lose their job.

I can't believe a country would hamstring itself so. You might as well just give scientists flint and tinder now and tell them to invent fire just so we're ready when we fall back to the stone age.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    By all means Chandos -- speak out against the school board you work for. Surely there are policies that do not put the children first -- point it out!!! What? You'd lose your job? What about the truth? What about the parents that trust you to ensure their children have every opportunity? It is no different for a scientist.

I am required to sign a confidentiality agreement and a non-disclosure agreement every year. It is a part of the terms my employment. I cannot disclose information the company does not want disclosed -- to do so invites both termination and grounds for the company to sue me. That is just a fact of life for scientists.

And Nakia... Jeffery Wigand was turned into an pariah. He was harassed by the tobacco industry and local police. He was unable to find employment as a researcher (a direct result of breaking confidentiality agreements in the science industry).

Intregrity is an important part of being a scientist -- but that also includes keeping your word to your employer. As I said before, if you disagree with something you can speak out -- but there is a price. A price that men like Jeffery Wigand know (and, by the way, I have a great deal of respect for Dr Wigand).

It would be interesting to see Aldeth's opinion on this.

18. Nakia

Media:
    T2Bruno, I feel sorry for the scientists in this country. I don't blame someone for wanting to get and keep a good paying job. The thing is scientists are looked up to come up with things that we can trust. They are assumed to be, on the whole, impartial researchers seeking the truth. It is very disillusioning to me to find that I can trust what is put forward as science in this country. The government puts guidelines on Corporations. They are required to live up to certain standards. Sure there are cracks and I stopped trusting the FDA when it permitted a medicine that caused me serious problems to become and over-the-counter medication but it does maintain some minimal purpose.

I also have a great deal of respect for Dr. Wigand.

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @T2Bruno: The government is not a corporation. The government is supposed to work for you, that's what you pay it, what?, 40 or 50 percent of your income for!

If a corporation lies to me and I find out, I can punish that by refusing to deal with them, depriving them of business and income. Also, I can pass that knowledge on to others, further damaging the corporation. If they harm me directly or indirectly, I can sue for damages.

But how do I punish government for feeding me lies and giving me bad services? By refusing to pay my income tax? That will land me in jail. By refusing to use the government "services" which it is illegal to compete with? I will, in any case, be financing them through the nose!

If government is supposed to work in your interest, it cannot do so by lying to you or withholding relevant information.

Otherwise, government doesn't work for you. Which leaves the question, who does government really work for, and to which ends?

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

We're not talking about opinions here though - we're talking about objective reality as reached through scientific consensus. Stopping people from talking about the problem isn't going to make it any less real.

Frankly I think that this has reached the point of being the equivalent of denying evolution. That's pretty sad...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.