1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Doom III

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Turambar, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Am I the only one really really excited about this game. I mean look at the screens, I seriously think I will be scared by this.game :mommy:

For those of you interested, there is a leaked fully playable Beta out there....

[ November 03, 2002, 10:31: Message edited by: Turambar ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The only screens I've seen all had fat dead guys walking around, exact copies of each other. That's supposed to be innovate, is it? Geez, at least make some different monster models... :rolleyes:

3. Turambar Gems: 13/31

It's not the monsters that are innovative, it's the relationship between lights, models and music.... It's scary

4. trillex Gems: 13/31

I think it will take a puter that hasn't even been build yet to play.

5. Turambar Gems: 13/31

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

http://www.auby.no/doom3.jpg

Behold the frames per second :p . John Carmack's goal is 30 fps with a GeForce 4. We can look, but we can not play this game.

[ November 03, 2002, 17:02: Message edited by: Mollusken ]

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    All the shots are down. :rolleyes:

ATI shot themselves in the foot by leaking the beta. Really stupid.

8. Turambar Gems: 13/31

It's not confirmed that it is ATI it came from. All they had last I checked was a chat log that was as trustworthy as my right pinky toe...

But if it was them, they messed up royally.

9. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Doom III? it'll be a cool game to see, but playing it will be something else entirely (I'd hate to see the system requirements for the bloody thing.)

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My friend took that screenshot above, and the game is running so slow on his computer he can't kill anything :p . He's got a AMD Athlon XP 1800+, GeForce 3 and 1 GB (!) of DDR ram.

11. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

No way. When i got my AMD Athlon xp 2000, 512mb DDR and Geforce3 i thought i would be set for all the games currently on the market AND all games to be released during the next year or so.Dammit that sucks.

I did read that it won't be playable on less than Geforce4. I didn't believe it but now i do. I was gonna get Geforce4 but the guy in the pc shop said, "you don't need that, Geforce3 is exactly the same and you won't notice the difference." Beyotch.

12. Turambar Gems: 13/31

You must remember that this is a Beta and that it has severe memory leaks all over...

The finished product will be playable with GeForce 3 and pretty good too I think.

But you still should have gotten GeForce 4, GeForce 3 is starting to get old

And Mollusken I can't see how it runs slow on his machine when it runs fine on my AMD 1600+, GeForce3 and 256mb RAM. Ofcourse I don't get the best graphics, but it runs perfectly fine and looks good.... :D :D :D

[ November 05, 2002, 10:27: Message edited by: Turambar ]

13. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Personally, I wait for releases, or at least official demos. I've seen major changes from Beta to whatever the hell they refer to the final release as in other games. Also, In my opinion, they screwed up with the zombies. In the original Doom (and it's not spelled DooM, by the way. I hate it when people spell it that way. Doom is right, DooM is wrong, and DOOM is acceptable.) Where was I? Sort of lost myself in the brackets. Oh yeah. The zombies. In the original Doom, they were regular looking, if somewhat bloody and pissed off, guys with guns. Didn't even know they were zombies until I read it somewhere. They had guns, rotted brains, bad aim, and were always pissed. They had weapons. They were a challenge on level one, and cannon fodder later. These zombies? Doom III is home to the boring, generic, stupid-as-a-post, eat-your-brain zombies that look like dead bodies walking around. You know, they're so far gone, they don't even know what you are, except you have a brain and are therefore food. In doom at least they would shoot anything that shot them. Of course, calling them zombies in the original was just an attempt to make humans somehow fit into the whole demon-from-hell theme, but this...

14. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I think if they keep the simplicity of the first Doom games I'd have fun just sitting blasting the living bejesus out of everything that comes my way for a few mindless hours, but then, that was the idea for the first games so I'm undecided. BTW did anyone find the first Doom's difficult, because I found them darn near impossible, even with the invincibilty cheat on!

15. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I can't play doom2 now without ZDoom / ZDoomGL (the 3DFX version) where you can jump and look up and down.

Anyone know if the WAD file for Doom1 is downloadable from anywhere coz i would like to play it but have never seen it in the shops.

As for dificulty, Hurt me plenty is pretty easy, Ultra Violence is just about right, and Nightmare - i've never got through the first couple of levels coz of the respawn and extremely limited number of weapon and ammo pickups.

[ November 14, 2002, 10:16: Message edited by: Intentioner of the Damned ]

16. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

LOL!!

Guys, the version that's out right now is actually an "alpha". It's playable for QA purposes concerning the level designs.

And I'd put money that ID released the alpha version because they know it's not exceedingly playable, they were having problems with funding, so they wanted to get the public to show marketing execs just how psyched up about the game everyone is.

There's a good chance this is marketing. And make note:

It is successful marketing.

There are threads all over the net on making the game more stable, and pulling better performance.

17. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Anyone want to guess when Doom III will be released? They (Id) are shooting for first half of 2003 but I don't believe this for a moment.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    ejsmith, think for a moment; This is ID you're talking about. They are a company of about 16 people. Marketing? that's what the publisher is for. And let's be honest, if a publisher is stupid enough to dump Doom 3, it'll be snapped up by the competition immediately.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.