1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Doom Shot In First Person View

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Eldular, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I found a pretty interesting article at Sci-Fi's website about the upcoming movie Doom:
    I've seen several Doom commercials where they show a first-person view of Dwayne Johnson's character holding a chainsaw and about to attack a Doom creature. I think that's a great idea, making the movie more like the game and giving a better view of the fighting scenes. I've always hated movies where the fighting scenes are full of hundreds of different shaky camera views in a matter of seconds, making it hard to see how the fighting is going.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Pretty much every game to movie adaptation thus far has turned out to be total dreck, so I'm not getting my hopes up. For as long as they let morons like Uwe Boll direct most of them, there's little chance of improvement in the genre in general.

However, that said, Doom might be an exception. But thus far I haven't wasted my time seeing any of the gazillion game-movies that they've already churned out (ok, with one or two exceptions, by accident). But the number of such upcoming titles is staggering... I've just read an article about it in the gaming magazine I subscribe to. It seems that gaming is so mainstream now that this is paying off for them. We'll see if it actually brings along with it some improvement.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

They'll probably just end up supersaturating the genre like they did with superheroes and epic war movies...

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

And for the record - from another preview I'd read, that FPS sequence near the end of Doom - the Movie is going to be four minutes long - not exactly the majority of the film's playing time, but enough to make an impression on the audience.

empath, wondering if iD is planning on re-releasing Doom and Doom II in some kinda 'collector's edition' to tie-in with the film's release...[/inner-cynic]

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I saw the preview of the movie a couple of days ago, and frankly I wasn't very impressed. The 1st person sequence really doesn't look good, and frankly, I can't see how you can make a movie from Doom... Great game, sure, but a movie???

I still remember being shocked at how bad the Street Fighter movie was. Somehow I can't imagine this being any better (though it will be a hell of a funny movie if it ends up being even worse :lol: )

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I suspect it won't be great. Not dire, but not worth watching. But if it *is* good, it might just be my kind of film.

@AE
    There already is a Doom collector's edition, with not only Doom and Doom2, but Final Doom as well!

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@Alavin - Don't forget the DOOM keyboard cover.

I'll see this movie, but only after it's out on video. Call me cheap. Does Dwayne end up alone (per the game) or does he have a couple sidekicks schlepping along?

8. Eldular Gems: 10/31

@kuemper: At the start he has several companions with him. He will most likely end up alone or with some female partner though, as usual.

I expect this movie to be like Resident Evil. Good action and graphics, but pretty far from the game's story. I sure won't miss it though, big fan of old Doom games, perhaps I'll even buy some Doom books.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

My observations

(1) The trailer makes the film look really really bad - if it did not already have the game to film warnings going off the trailer would have done it for sure.

(2) The first person shooter view point looks really stupid. It greatly limits the movement range in the action not to mention that without seeing one of the two combatants it lacks greatly in intensity. In an interactive game where you are supposed to be the character whose eyes you are looking through it works, in a movie it just plain does not.

(2b) Speaking of Uwe Boll - he did the first person action shot thing in House of the Dead. As I mentioned back when I had the misfortune of seeing it, that film was the most terrible piece of dreck that I have ever seen. The first person action shots were terrible and only got worse when they shifted over to footage taken directly from the game. Thankfully Doom does not appear to be going that far but what I have seen is bad enough.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I also will wait for DVD. About the only "game movie" I ever liked was resident evil, and many people claim the movie had nothing to do with the game's plot.

11. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Soon as iheard the line... "were goin in HOT!" I thought this film would be cack. Then I saw the first person viewing and I thougt this movie is going to be cack. Then I it said "DOOM" on the screen and i thought.... I bet my friends drag me to the cinema to see this. Guess what... 2 seconds later someone chirps.... "that'll be good" :angry: so i'll have to see it against my will :(

12. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Okay - after pouring over the magazine preview:

New Zealander Karl Urban (aka Eomer from LotR) is John Grimm ('the space marine') and already booked for the sequel movie.

Mr. Johnson actually plays 'Sarge' - the grizzled leader of this response team; I'm willing to wager that everyone on the team except Grimm will be whittled away by the nasties, the Rock only expiring after he gets a chance to fire off the "Bio-Force Gun".

The female 'team member' apparently comes into things via Samantha Grimm (our hero's sister) who is the invaded station's medical doctor - and likely only survivor that the team finds. :rolleyes:

Oh, and just to throw some more cliches out there - the Grimm's parents were scientists at the very same station...until they died in an accident... :rolleyes:

I'm pleased that the Union Aerospace Corporation facility apparently IS going to be on Mars (like the original game), and somewhat amused that its name is Olduvai Station. :heh:

Well, I'll rent it once it's on home video, and probably enjoy it (just about NOTHING is worth cinema ticket prices anymore) though I'm gonna play it safe and say it won't live up to all its hype.

--

EDIT: finally rid of that 'dirty mustard toblerone' of a tzcharr gem - YAY. :banana:

13. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'll be watching it; I can't wait to see The Rock layin' the smacketh down on a whole bunch of demonic jabronies! Well, maybe not - in fact, it may be the worst thing Greedo shooting first - but it should be an interesting way to kill 2 hours. It reeks of "gimmicky camera work" rather than "awesomeness". If it sucks that badly, maybe Dwayne will come back to wrestling again...

DOOM has a good enough back-story to be translated into a decent film; experiment gone wrong, lost contact, last communications sounding like hell had broken loose, send in the marines. They get there and find the research team and staff dead - or worse - and that's only the start of it. It should ideally be an action/horror flick, without any pretentiousness or moralising - in the vein of Aliens. No idea what's out there or what the hell is going on, no time to figure out why or how it happened or what these things want - just focus on staying alive.

But if they keep the blood flowing and the frag count climbing, I'll be happy.

14. Eldular Gems: 10/31

Perhaps I'll write a cheap review of it when I see it.

15. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Halo is also being made into a movie. What a boring movie it will be - Man shoots creature, man shoots another creature, repeat until all creatures are killed.

At least that talented actor 'The Rock' is not playing the main part.

16. Eldular Gems: 10/31

Just because the movie is being based on Halo doesn't mean it will have to be all 'shoot, kill, reload, shoot, kill, reload' it might end up being a complex story without that much action for all we know.

PS: BloodRayne is also being made into a movie, now that one I have little hope for.

17. Newfie Banned

18. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

/me checks out link.

:eek:

Oh, MAN - so many decent careers are gonna get ruined by this film!!! :aww:

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yep, the great enigma rears its ugly head once again - how does Uwe Boll get these big name actors and actresses to agree to appear in his grade-z garbage movies?

20. Eldular Gems: 10/31

Here's a bit more news taken from Sci-Fi Wire on other projects id Software has planned for those interested:

Quake Movie: Bad idea.
    New Wolfenstein on Xbox 360: Good idea.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.