1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drakensang

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Merlanni, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    From Vault Dweller's RPG Codex interview:
    "something like Baldur's Gate in 3D"
    "upgrade and modernize the Baldur's Gate combat system"
    "What we absolutely wanted to keep was the pause function. The player will be able to pause combat at any time, so he is able to analyze the situation and make a decision."

I don't know what to think, they repeat BG many times, but aren't still making this a fully 'hardcore' RPG.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It is so silly to know so little about a game that is due in q2 2008

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    It's a shame I don't have any Deutsch skills, the German sites might have some more information.

5. Merlanni

Media:
    Not much news on the deutsch/german pages that gives it a good overview. Fact is that many gamesites have not responded yet to its existance

6. Merlanni

Media:
  7. Merlanni

Media:
    The demo of this game is out, so it the game itself. Both however are in German. The translation is under construction. the demo is located on the german site.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Drakensang is based on DSA, or 'Das Schwarze Auge', Germany's most popular RPG. I started my venture into PnP role playing after reading Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by playing DSA with friends when I was 16 or so. It was fun, for me, but probably not so much for my co-players because at that time I was a, errr, poor player, somewhat overprotective towards my precious characters. Well, nothing wrong with a thief who's a coward, no? Well, I have now learned to let go - characters sometimes die.

Anyway, I digress, Drakensang is a German game, and so for once, I can play it in German without having to fear piss poor translations. Nice for a change. Verdict from a friend of mine: Sweet landscape graphics, nice story, but silly character paper doll (which is not customisable).

So I will buy Drakensang when I have my new comp, for old times sake :)

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The only experience I have of DSA is from the old Realms of Arkania games. I hated the first one but the second was much improved and had some very interesting features. I think I'm going to keep an eye on this game and see how the translated version fares when it comes out.

10. Merlanni

Media:
    I played it for two hours today and must say not bad. Not bad at all. It has a button to control our whole party like BG2. Can it be?
    The amazonian fighter wore a breast plate and a leather skirt. No chainmail bikini whit high heels and large... Can it be?

Still have to decide, the German version or the English.

Does anyone have a scrap of information about release date for English

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  11. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

As far as I know, Radon Labs is still working on the ported versions.

It's a nice game, very pretty, with great content.

12. Merlanni

Media:
    A games magazine I read always prints a the most recent list of lies aka the release dates of games. On it Drakensang English is for q1 2009. Well at least it will be patched.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    If you've got a good grasp of the language then definitely go for German IMO. Something always gets lost in translation, so I would always try to go for the original if it's in a language I can understand. I wish I was fluent in more languages...

14. Merlanni

Media:
    Impossible to get here in Holland, while germany is just a few hours drive away.

15. Ragusa

Media:
    I have decided that, no, when I am going to buy Dreakensang :rolling:

16. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I hope this game will be decent!
    It's been ages and ages since a solid and decent DSA game! The waiting for another DSA title was almost hopeless!

17. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I didn't play the oldschool dsa games, so I know only this one.

I just finished the intro chapter and am currently in the main city of Ferdok with a few quests done already, so I haven't seen much so far.

But as of now I'm impressed.
    Gameplay is nice for me, better than NWN2 and as good as NWN2-MotB (with its tactical view option).
    It looks good and it feels good but storywise I'm not that hooked right now,
    though I'm just in the beginning so it might change.

Another issue: You choose your PC from a pool of predefined characters.You can change skills and feats of course, but e.g. if choosing elf, only 3 classes are available iirc, different from the ones you choose as a dwarf.
    You cannot change the look of your avatar, too.
    Besides that it seems to me a promising game, without some major bugs as in other German titles as of late ^^.

18. Ragusa

Media:
    :bigeyes: I just ordered it :bigeyes: Which is stragically very cunning of me :holy: While I will have to install it twice, I can justify the purchase oy my new computer with the vastly improved graphics after my upgrade ;)

19. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I always liked Ferdok.
    It has those nice Lanzerinnen! ;)
    I really hope it has the DSA feel! With all the classes, herbs and latin spells! And whatnot!

20. Ragusa

Media:
    Darion,
    it's a back-to-the-roots thing for me (too?). I (also?) hope the game doesn't disappoint. But I'm optimistic :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.