1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual class FROM a barbarian?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I can dual a barbarian TO another class but not FROM any of those classes. Or any other class either of course. How is this possible? Is it a bug? I have the tweaks mod going so maybe that has something to do with it? I chose the option to allow any race to dual or multi but I still don't see why I can do that???

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It was not possible to dual a barbarian in the vanilla game, and I'm pretty sure the tweakpack didn't add that either. It might be that EE or the EE version of the tweakpack does allow such a thing. You could start as a barbarian, change in SK to fighter for a little bit, dual, then change back to barbarian (as a kit). That way you should still have all the special abilities and higher hitpoints.

Disclaimer: I've never tested this.

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think barbarian is treated as a fighter kit by the game, much like sorcerer is treated like a mage in some regards, which means you're technically able to dual-class like you would a fighter.

That said, it should still be impossible to do it inside the game unless you're using a mod to change that.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm using the tweaks mod so that's probably it. I chose the option to allow any race to dual or multi class any class that's from the normal selection of mage, cleric, fighter, druid, or ranger. It doesn't have an option to change to a barbarian though. Silly game. What a silly game :tobattle:

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Yeah, of course you can't dual-class TO a barbarian. You can never dual-class into a kit or any class besides those 5.

There's nothing silly about that.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Frankly, I find the entire manner that 2nd Edition approaches multi-classing and dual classing to be completely silly. It's over complicated for humans, and the class/race limitations are oh so arbitrary. Why couldn't a barbarian invest time in the healing arts? And since BG is modeled after 2nd Edition, there's plenty of silly limitations carried over. It's also a bit whacky that the barbarian is implemented as a fighter kit, when the game presents it as a base class. But, meh.

3rd Edition did multi-classing so much better.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Sorcerer, Monk, and Barbarian are all carry-overs from 3rd edition, so there's no reason to expect any kind of in-system or in-setting sense to it. If you want to make a barbarian/cleric or some other colorful combo, just roll a berserker instead and dual-class him or use Keeper.

Also, D&D is full of arbitrary limitations and ludicrous subsystems and 3rd ed. is no better in that regard. As someone who's spent over 10 years patching up 3rd edition stupidity, I can attest to the fact that as retarded as some systems in 2nd edition AD&D were, it wasn't nearly that much worse as people say.

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm not trying to make a sweeping generalization that 3rd Edition is better than 2nd Edition (though I happen to think that it is - though it is still far from perfect, and I find Pathfinder to be superior to both). My comment is specifically related to the multi-classing mechanics of 3rd Edition vs. 2nd Edition, and yes, in this regard 3rd Edition comes out the clear winner in my opinion.

9. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm liking 5th ed a lot so far too (we don't talk about 4th ed, that never happened..)
    No matter what edition rules you take though, inevitably some things are going to be lost or will have to be "dumbed down" when converting PnP rules and mechanics to a video game.

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Pathfinder still falls under 3rd edition, at least until they release Pathfinder 2.0.

Between XP penalties, Level Adjustments, and not all that fewer arbitrary restrictions, the 3rd edition multiclassing system is only superficially better than the 2nd edition one, although Pathfinder does do away with most of what was originally pestering the 3rd ed. in that regard (but it also heavily discourages multiclassing in the first place). That said, Pathfinder has layered so much crap onto itself over the years, that's it's hardly any less confusing for most players at this point. It's now squarely in splatbook hell, just like vanilla was before it.

We don't talk about 5th edition either, mainly because they f*cked up with 4th ed. and now there's a plethora of better systems around. :shake:

11. Marceror

Media:
    XP Penalties? A little more math, sure, but that never bothered me. Level Adjustments? I never particularly found anything about those not to like.

The key difference for me is that 3rd Ed allows for an array of choices that 2nd Ed does not. 2nd Ed was the "no you can't edition", while 3rd Ed was the "yes you can edition", again, with respect to multiclassing.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    XP penalties and level adjustments were both absolutely horrible ideas that should never have seen the light of day.

3E was certainly more open with what you can do, but it also turned into a part time accounting job and wasn't any less confusing when you really got down to it.

13. Marceror

Media:
    Everyone's welcome to their opinions, of course.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.