1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dude, what is wrong with my DVD burner drive thingy?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Giles Barskins, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] My wife has had a successful history of creating DVDs on our computer up until now. Her latest attempt ended in frustration because our DVD rom/burner/frustrator whatever it's called does not recognize that there is a blank DVD in the drive. So no burnination. It used to work and now it doesn't. I can't figure out why because nothing about the computer has really changed since the last time she successfuly burned a DVD.

Any good jumping off points for troubleshooting? I'm not at home right now so I can't provide the specs and all that stuff right now. I can get them if it'd help (which it probably will, huh?).

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, for starters you could check if it still reads burned DVDs and other media. And when you say the drive doesn't recognize blank discs, do you mean literally, or just that Windows doesn't pop up a blank media notice? What program do you use to burn DVDs? Are the blank DVDs the same as you've used before?

3. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

This is not too much helpful, But I just had a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. I inserted a burned DVD into my DVD burner and it just did not read it. So I tried other burned DVD's, both DVD-r and DVD+r and still nothing. Then I tried real retail DVD's and CD's and still nothing. My clever conclusion is that the drive is dead. R.I.P. The annoying part is that the drive is not that old and was not used so much that it should be dead.

So anyway, like Tal said, as a start try reading other disks and see if it will read anything. And do not just wait to see if the auto-load for the disk plays: i.e. the CD player opens up after inserting a music CD. If it does not then Use Windows Explorer to see if you can read the disk contents.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you look at a disk, you can see from if it has been burned. if you see a little colorchange from the center, it was used and can be faulty. Some disks can have a bad track denying acces.

5. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In response to your questions, Tal:

I just put a DVD in that I know is blank. The autorun thing came up saying it was a blank disc and I selected to open it as a folder. It says on the left that there are 0 bytes free out of 0 total.

The burner is a Plextor DVDR PX 708A. The program that we use to make the movies also does the burning at it is the Ulead DVD Moviefactory 5. The brand of DVD+R that I'm using is Sony and we have burned that brand successfully before. One part of the problem is that the burning program doesn't recognize that there is a disk in there.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd try another burning program first to see if it works there.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have exactly the same problem. My DVD drive reads things fine, but if you try and put something blank in in order to burn something to it, then it says that there are no valid burnable disks. We've tried every type of blank disc we can find but no go.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My brother had this problem with his computer that I built him. I literally tried *everything* to fix it. I ended up reformatting his hard drive and reinstalled XP with SP2, but turned off automatic updates. At that same time, he also switched from Nero to Ashampoo since that's what I use to burn CDs/DVDs.

Last I heard, everything's been working fine. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.