1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dungeon Siege AKA "goodbye NWN"

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Extremist, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] The site of goodies and many, many awsome screenshots: http://www.dungeonsiege.com/index.shtml

FAQ

Is it d&d?
    No.

Max party members?

Is it MMORPG?
    No.

Can you play solo?
    Yes.

What trashcan PC you must have to run it?
    Not specified yet.

Will there be an official editor for mods included?
    Yes.

Who is involved in it?
    Gas Powered Games/Microsoft

When is it coming already!!!??? *glower*
    In April 2002. Yes, in April 2002. Yes, before NWN.

/me gloats and drooooools :evil::evil::evil::evil:

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hmmmmm, not convinced my old friend. I'm especially surprised to see you excited by this game. From what I've seen I fear it will be a no-brains Diablo clone in 3D. The emphasis in all the interviews I have seen has been to streamline the game as much as possible to just leave the dungeon crawling and combat. The stats have all been hidden away, there seem to be little interaction with the world and none of the developers seem to talk about storyline.

Compared to NWN the biggest difference is you won't be able to use a live DM. That is the feature that sets NWN apart in my eyes. Hopefully it'll be playable on a 56k modem or I will have to carefully consider not buying it as the single player game could well be a dissapointment.

Back to Dungeon Siege, there is some positive stuff I suppose as you can see from what I wrote back here:
    http://www.maturegamer.net/News/NewsPages/DungeonSiege.html

For more info and a preview, also look here:
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,913965,00.html

I think those who like depth to their RPGs are going to have to rely more on Divine Divinity:
    http://www.maturegamer.net/News/NewsPages/DivineDivinity.html
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,371215,00.html

Or Morrowind:
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2838770,00.html

PS did I show you my preview of a few of the noteable RPG releases for 2002? Oh well here it is again:
    http://www.maturegamer.net/News/NewsPages/RPG&Adventure2002.html

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Slappy, Tal alredy knows for Divine Divinity (and you must remember how thrilled I was when I saw it).
    Morrowind? Of course! I'm buying that too!
    But we already talked about them.

Lack of DM? Oh, come on! Who needs that sh*t? I'm not that type of person. ;)

The only question that remains is:
    Which one of these three will kill NWN?

My answer:
    Any of them.

4. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] A good DM can make any RPG experience exceptional. Hardly the trademark of something shitty. How a DM can be any good in NWN really leaves me curious though.

I have an allergy towards Microsoft but I do agree that the screenshots looks very attractive.

5. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Dungeon Siege graphics looks worse than NWN :p.

6. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Ahhh, I see, you were mainly commenting on the effect it would have on NWN rather than meaning you persoanlly want to buy Dungeon Seige. Well I agree that Dungeon Seige is likely to have a very negative impact on NWN sales especially as NWN seems to be delayed more and more. Dungeon Seige is likely to have a much broader appeal to casual gamers than NWN, which should be a good thing. More people playing RPGs equals more games in future for us.

I still think NWN will be more fun to play. I hope the DM aspect will be well implemented and, if it is, I think will add greatly to the game. Of course I understand that some people don;t like playing online so it won;t affect them. There is another linked element though. The editor has been developed to allow new stories to be developed to be played with or without a live DM. That means there should be new quests released by enthusiasts to kepp playing long after you complete the main game. Of course many of these will be rubbish but you only have to look at the FPS ametuer levels to see what quality is available.

Being positive again, choice and competition is often a good thing so lets keep everything crossed.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  8. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ok after a considering look at both NWN and DS graphics here is what I have come to conglude:

DS:While most every think looks good their is little detail. Where their is detail it's to much. Looking at the flying skeletions you can really tell that they were rushed. But the people had some time put in to them.

NWN:The graphices are much more blanced out. You the ground doesnt look as fake as it does in DS. While the people look better in DS they are more detailed them the suroundings.

Another thing that makes me wounder is size. You have all read about how long BioWear has worked to make all the monsters sizes look as acurate as it gets. I look at DS and see this snake thing coming out of the water and only a few feet away are two fighters standing knee deep in water. So wheres the rest of the snakes body? It should be sticking out of the water of at least seen a little.

What about the DMing tool? Only NWN will carry that unless I missed something in DS. The DM tool is whats going to make NWN popular in the wide wourld of games.

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Just read the first mainstream review of the finished Dugeon Siege. It scores 89% which is very good. They love the graphics, the simplicity of the interface and the way everything has been looked at to make the game flow for the player. Flexible charcater development is also approved of. However, they also mention that the story is very weak and that you'll probably forget it until you get another prompt at the end of a chapter. The NPC interaction is very limited and the action can get repetitive.

The final point is either good or bad depending or your RPG preferences: the action is relentless. In summary the game is much more Diablo rather than BG2. No surprises really then.

For those of you in the UK, the review is in April's PC Zone, which has just come out.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A friend of mine just picked up Dungeon Siege and he is lyrical, he is almost claiming that he finds it better than the BG games. I am more skeptical because he has a tendency to fall in love with every game the firs week he has it and not see the flaws which he then relentlessly complains about the following time he plays the game.
    What I want to know is if anyone else has played this game? And if you have the puter spefs yet?
    If its a relentless hacknslash with less rpging than IWD I think I may be counted out. Gimme your opinions now that it is out!!

11. total Guest

Dungeon siege is worse than Diablo!!!

I have tried it:

***Possible little spoilers ***
    (i have played it for 3 hours)

You have tried it: you cant chose class, you are some sort of warrior, rouge mage all in one (diablo 1) You have 3 main stats: STR, INT, DEX. STR - affects, hm, dont know exactly, health and maybe dmg (why i dont know, wel because i played for 3 hours and it got me from STR 10 to 12!!!), DEX gives AC and precision (Diablo like, aka "D"), INT - mana points. For some better (any but very first) you need number of points in some stat (D). You dont advance in level for some exact point of exp., you gaimn "levels" during the fight like in Wizardry or Daggerfall (you use sword, you gain STR...). I thought: "Wow, nice, i like it that way!" but noooo, it is so slow! Game is rather easy, even on normal difficult, didnt try it hard.

And to make long story short:

This game is for players that LOVED Diablo and similar games (Throne of Darkness - which is in my opinion better than D and DS) and they need new weapons, levels, monsters to HACK & SLASH

Thank you for reading!

12. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Hehehe. Less Hack and Slash than IWD?

The shopkeeper greets you.... That is all you need *g*

In return you have aerial view around your characters in combat. Move around them, zoom in and out.

The Best thing is that you improve in what you use so you don't have to know anything to play it. You load up the healing potions and Whack those million monsters.

Once in a while someone gives you a vague purpose to whack the monsters. He talks a little and calls it a mission.

But Graphics are good. Works fine on a 850 Duron processor. and 32 MB- MX graphic card and 256 MB ram.

EDIT; Don't play it if you loved the "roleplaying" aspect of BG-games.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited April 19, 2002).]

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31

total:

1. I'll still buy it no matter your rambling just for one thing - you haven't *finished* the game.

2. You don't expect me to play "the game where I can't have a party" aka NWN? If that is not Diablo-like then Dungeon Siege is definetly not Diablo-like.

3. Noone ever said DS carries ultimate roleplaying experience. But also everywhere was clearly written it is a linear action RPG. I don't know what have you expected.

4. Stats, levels, experience... DS is not d&d mister. One more reason for me to buy it.

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] NWN has nothing to fear from Dungeon Siege. DS is a good game but it's almost a RTS. It takes the Diablo concept to a party level with great graphics. But it's not really a RPG. The character development system is serverely limited. You only have 3 stats and 4 skills. Not much for role-playing.

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What about Arcanum Extremist? Or Ultima 8? You couldn't control a party in either of them, yet I've heard nothing but rave reviews from you. :)

16. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Yeah, DS looks good, but I was disappointed after reading the review on gamespot where it was compared so much with Diablo, the game does look great, but there doesn't sem to be much else going on. I'm sure I'll buy it though when the price eventually goes down anyway. A seamless world and pack animals is kind of cool.

17. total Guest

Say what you want, I wont play it!

Extremist: Yes i didnt play it to the end, maybe game turns out to be one "super duper" game. Try it! I have a sin to confess: i thaught that Fallout 1 sucks, because i was playing Diablo at that time! So sue me! :D

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Arcanum doesn't have party control? BTA are you sure you played this game?

Ultima 8 didn't have any party. What do you expect to control there? Ultima 8 drove me near because there was no such game in that time. How old that game is anyway, 10, 15 years? Don't now start that NWN has better graphics than Ultima 8... of course it does!

The reason I'm mentioning Diablo is because total mentioned it just like gamespot and such ingnorant online gaming sites.

What I still don't get is Voltric's equatation:
    good cRPG = unlimited number of skills

Voltric, my equatations are:
    d&d rule system = confusing unlimited number of skills
    good cRPG = cRPG where you discover more things (aka subquests) each time you play it again no matter the rule system it uses
    bad d&d cRPG = pretencious cRPG that has 3rd d&d sign on the box but won't let you to play as F/M/T/C because such class is not possible in d&d

Ok, I admit, I'm generalizing things too much here, but I'm in any game for the story, not for your beloved d&d rules. If I wasn't searching for the stories, I would rather play Tetris.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 20, 2002).]

19. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I've seen and played Dungeon Siege now, and all I can say about it is hack'n'slash and nice graphics. It's fun though :).

20. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I've played about 5 hours of Dungeon Siege. It's basically hack'n'slash in a huge world with no loading screens. (e.i. imagine BG as one map and not several broken up areas)

DS can be fun and the dungeons are HUGE! There's this one room thats so big it remains me of something out of LotR when the fellowship were in the mines of Moria. This aspect of the game is very cool.

The story is lacking but hopefully people that will use the editor comming out will fix that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.