1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dungeon Siege is a hip new bore...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Xaelifer, May 6, 2002.

1. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] So far, Dungeon Siege has really bit the big one.

Sure, the creative character models and pretty environment provide a kick, but it lacks depth in every aspect and is purely boresome hack-and-slash entwined within a bad mix of Gothic, Darkstone, and Diablo 2.

Was it supposed to provide a nice brainless padding for breaks between Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights during LAN parties, or what?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Let's just hope somebody makes kick ass modules for the game when the tools come out ;).

3. Appparently, later on in the game, you can get grenade launchers.

:aaa:

What the HELL are they for??!!

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] DS is basically a party based Diablo 2. Nice graphics and game environment but poor in all other catagories. Third party Modules might be nice but it would take a lot of storyline to bring this gmae into the same league as BG2 or NWN. It's more of a RTS than RPG. Rather mindless. Have fun clicking!

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The graphics are amazing, the story and gameplay sucks..... I don't like it... Wait for NWN!!!!

6. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, and according to the various screenshots I've seen, you fight tanks. :confused: :nono: Very odd.

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

My friend has played the game for a while, and he just got himself a flamethrower. He has also been in a room where he had to fight a large number of the robots you see in the Gas Powered Games intro.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] DS sounds less and less like the game that is going to supplant NWN as the apex of the RPG experience. As stated above most, but not all, non-D&D fantasy system are inferior. The addition of non-fantasy elements like grenade launcher, tank, robots and flame-throwers is just a helpless attempt to make up for the inadequacies of the gaming system. I think the only game that handle this max of magic and technology well was Arcaneum.

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

What about the Wizardry series? They had high tech long before there was an Arcanum and used it pretty well. To go back even further, Ultima 1 contained high tech.

10. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've played the game a little and it's obvious that they are just stealing the good bits from old and not yet released games and try to piece it together into a success of their own.

And on some level they have suceeded, cause on other boards this game is getting really good reviews. But for me this is not what I've been lookng for

11. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

For everyone who is advanced beyond the point of click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab-click-jab, this game is "not what I've been looking for."

It actually gets better, though, or should I say not quite as good as Diablo 1 Beta (before there were graphics or sound in the game) as you progress further. I love, however, games where the armor and weapons all look different upon a character (why am I not playing Morrowind, why why why why?) - but I hate hate hate games where the character is a boring stereotype with three stats, four spells, and a hell of a lot of clicking to do before he advances.

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Jack Funk, in reference to your comments on technology in fantasy game true Ultima 1 did have high tech blasters and the like but was really a game n progress. The Ultima world was unshaped and unclear at that point and the first Ultima was clearly not the bast. For contrast look at Ultima IV or V. These Ultima games had a much richer world lacking the presence of high technology. I never really played Wizardry so I don't think I can fairly comment of it's use of technology. I suspect other have and could give their opinions on if it works or not in the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.