1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DVD to CD?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by kuemper, Apr 19, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Hubby bought me the Diamond edition of NWN and I found out (to my digust) that it is a DVD rom. Is there any way to burn the DVD rom onto a CD so I can play it? I could play it on his computer, which has a DVD drive, but he uses a trackball mouse that I cannot use. :bad:

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Typically if software comes on a DVD, it is too large to fit on a CD.

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

You could share the DVD drive if you have a network and run it from that on the CD computer.

Alternatively, you could convert the DVD's content to an image file and transfer it to the CD computer either via a portable HDD or by splitting it using Winrar and burning it to multiple CDs, and once it's on there use CD emulation software (such as Daemontools) to make the computer think you have a DVD drive with NWN in it.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Or you could unplug the mouse you can't use and replace it with the one you can on the other computer for the time when you're playing.

Or exchange the NWN Diamond DVD edition for the CD edition. But that'd be a really bad idea, because you want everything on one DVD, not scattered over 5 CDs. Rather buy a DVD drive.

5. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Alavin's advice is really, really good.

Be sure to grab NWN Critical Rebuild 1.66 too (from bioware website, under downloads -> patches).

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    If you have a large hard drive, Alvins advice is ideal. Running an 'image drive' for games is the only way to go...especially if you have a laptop! :thumb:

Back when my HDD was in good health, I had a full installation of BG2, and the ToB disk copied as an image file, so when I wanted to play, I made about 3 clicks to 'mount' the ToB image file, and I was good to go. :)

But Tal's advice is sound too. Just switch the mouse. :thumb: :rolling:

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I could change mice, but - his games aren't on my computer so what will he do for fun? This was the only copy of Diamond in the city. The stores had NWN and the 3 separate add-ons in CD form, but the Diamond edition was $30 while the others add up to over $100.

The problem is memory. He has 4mb free (after doing a clean up) while I have 17gb. I don't think he has enough space to make a disc image.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

You have 17 GB of RAM? How the???

9. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

I think Kuemper meant space on her HDD, and the space on the other computer HDD!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    kuemper, combine both of Alavin's ideas then.
    Make your 17GB HDD shareable over the network, and then make the image on his computer while storing the file on your computer.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Memory, space, whatever! :p Still unable to play, this time because of laziness. :grr: I have the suggestions ready to use for when hubby gets off his butt. :rolleyes:

Oh, I forgot to mention this can't be returned to the store. Don't know if it's just Canada or what, but most gaming outlets won't allow returns.

I waiting to play...not patiently, but waiting.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, Diamond is DVD-only, my bad. I was thinking of NWN2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.