1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Eighth Dimension: #75 Tarot Decks

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by 8people, Nov 3, 2010.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was struggling to connect to my Egyptian themed Tarot deck for a while.

Too many places advocate that a reader chooses a card from the major arcana or a face card to connect through, citing that connecting to the minor arcana is an inferior method of attuning oneself to a deck.

What utter balls.

The notion stems from the preconception that Minor Arcana means that they are inferior, when in actual terms that represent smaller scopes and options whilst the Major Arcana represent spiritual, mental and emotional growth in a series of stages that reflect psychological phases that one generally advances through. They may not be in the correct order for some people and many get too hooked up on the imagery to reflect on what the symbolism and regard are for each card. However, I also think automatically expecting to relate implicitely to a card representing a life stage (The Major Arcana) is redundant as expecting to be encompassed within a face card of the Minor Arcana (Which represent spiritual aspects of each cardinal element, with a minor in a secondary cardinal element)

So of course I got my new deck and lay out each card from the Minor Arcana gently in order and look through them casually trying to pick out the ones that call to me and the ones I can put aside...

Then I was left very disappointed.

For a long time I was worried that I wouldn't be able to connect to the deck properly, that I would struggle using it to read if I struggled to find a sympathy within it. The deck is beautiful, the cards are well made and stable, the artwork is crisp and symbolism is rich and thematic.

So why couldn't I get a sodding card?!

It was easy with my previous deck after all *BAM* Eight of Swords, job done, let's get some spreads done, shall we?

It was only when I was spending time with my cards recently that I sat down and started thinking of sympathising again, and the results surprised me, for the card that called out to me the most was one of the Major Arcana, in particular Death. The card of Scorpio, transformation, metamorphosis and other worlds.

Now I have a means of sympathy with the cards I find it less daunting to think of working with them and feel a lot calmer spending time with them just getting used to the feel and presence of the deck (Yes, yes, sounds like new age bollocks, I know, but only real way to rescribe it, personally)

It's like having a textbook that you keep on the shelf and it catches your eye all the time, with an almost stern representation of what you really should be doing. You flick through it a bit and you feel that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach saying "I don't understand a bloody word of this and the exam is in two weeks." then finally that *click* when it suddenly all makes sense and you read the textbook in two hours and it ends up being a regular point of reference until the spine breaks from overuse!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.