1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Email problems

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Nakia, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] This is'nt exactly a tech question but I think it belongs here.

I have email through my local cable company. I and others had problems with it before but it got straighten out. Now I'm having problems again. I can receive mail but not send it.

My question is: What email provider would you recommend and why?

I have Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Gmail is currently the most modern of them and works quite nicely, even though I have a small gripe about the "2 week login ticket" -which should be permanent and auto-fill shouldn't had been disabled (nothing like having to type your login N times just to check your mail). Hate that. :nolike:

But otherwise it's okay and, IMO, better option than a separate client. Oh, and I have 6 invites, by-the-way and by-the-by. :D

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I guess alexandria.cc/gawab.com, pop3 right? I have a load of spare accounts on my website, if you want one you can have it. I have a few more if anyone needs one, only regular sp people though.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I have had Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN Mail, AOL Mail, and CompuServe Mail.
    MSN Mail is nice because it's an ISP mail account, so you can do certain things with it that you wouldn't be able to with Hotmail or Yahoo....checking your mail from your cell phone is one example. I still like Hotmail better though.

I only use Yahoo mail because they offer more space for free...so I use that account to recieve large files. I also use Yahoo when a website requires my email address only to sell it seconds later to some spam site.

AOL and CompServe are both evil...so don't bother with either.

So there you go. If you want a good ISP email account, MSN Mail is a great choice, otherwise, go with Hotmail. :thumb: :rolling:

5. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

How much space do you get with the free Yahoo account? Hotmail gives you 250 MB.

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

[​IMG] Hotmail gives me only 2MB of space and 1MB attachment limit. @Shalladeth, do you have a paid account?

Yahoo gives you 250MB of space for free. And the mail attachment limit for Yahoo is also bigger at 10 MB.

I don't have a problem with Gmails auto-fill being disabled. I dont want mom to find out what mails I get anyways. :p

Gmail does seem to have some problems with sending attachments though. Yahoo does it better.

7. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

There ya go. Sounds like Yahoo is definitely the way to go outside of the US.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

That isn't an issue on Firefox, as you can always set it off for specific sites, so hopefully they will soon fix this kind of annoyances from the webmasters and give an option to override such automatic settings.

9. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

My advice would be to go with Yahoo. I have both a Yahoo account and a Hotmail account, and ive grown to be perpetually fed up with Hotmail. For instance, nearly every time i send an email with it, it gets delayed for a day or so. This only happened rarely before, but now its constant. I've never had a problem with Yahoo, and i can easily recommend it.

10. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I am not totally familar with the two programs you have. But am I correct in assuming that THunderbird is like Outlook (ie a program to send and recieve emails?)
    I have internet access through my cable company. I had problems once sending and recieving using Outlook. As it turned out, I had a small spyware program that had changed my settings in Outlook.
    Try checking your settings.
    When I had called the tech support, they asked what email program I was using. THe tech guy told me that they had problems with "other" programs that were like outlook. Part of the M$ monopoly I guess.
    With my service, I can also send and recieve email though a website. Can you do that with your cable company? Try using that for awhile and see if your problems persist. If so, then its just your software, not your service.

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @Elios, No Mozilla Thunderbird is a browser that is much safer than Internet Explorer. Firefox is a email filter. Mozilla has gotten rave reviews and is free --they do ask for a donation but it is not required. I have also heard good things about Opera (I think that's what it is called).

My previous problems with the cable provided email program was a conflict with M$. My provider 'upgraded' their program and then blamed M$. I may keep using them for the junk mail.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I only use browser-based accounts. Saves me the trouble. My main one is 1 gig big, offers some nice customisation and features like auto-replay, anti-spam and a couple of others. Don't know if it has an anti-virus. Unfortunately, it has no option to collect confirmaton when a message is read.

So long as you avoid Outlook, you should be fine. Then again, I really have no idea what could be wrong if you can receive but can't send.

13. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

@Nakia
    Firefox is the browser (im using it right now), Thunderbird is the Email client. :)

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

A mix up like that really puts it up to a dubious light, doesn't it? :shake:

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Could it be a firewall problem? My last broadband provider would allow you to receive files through MSN Messenger, but not send them! If you tried, it came up with a message saying "this is disabled [for security] ... contact your System Administrator" or whatnot.

Otherwise, I'm very confused about why it will only let your mail go one way :confused:

16. Nakia

Media:
    @Celesiairaven, your right. I was posting when I should have been resting. Got this ear infection and am not thinking very clearly. It is great though I've cut out at least 90% of my problems since I got it. I love it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.