1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

emancipation

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by aegron, Oct 2, 2002.

1. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] The other day I had a big discussion with a girl about emancipation. In my opinion emancipation is dead. We should not look at someones gender (be it male female or something else) or for that matter at someones colour (be it white black yellow purple or green). Just look at someones abilities.

She thought me to be insane, but I am not that wrong am I?

[ October 02, 2002, 18:41: Message edited by: aegron ]

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Just by saying "be it male female or something else" and "be it white black yellow purple or green" proves you're insane. As far as I know the human race has only two genders and purple and green humans might be out there, but aren't discovered yet.

But I totally agree with you, although males and females are different (they both have their good qualities), I think they should not be judged on that. Discriminating because someones skin colour is also wrong.

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yes I totaly agree on the colour thing, everyone is the same inside.

As for gender, i'm not so sure about. For something like an office job, it shouldn't matter on Gender. But some other, more active jobs, like construction, the majority of women may be to weak for it. Women do make good soldiers however.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Call me a sexcist but I rather dive in a bed with a woman then a man. (No offence meant) :D

Anyways, at some point women are better then man and the other way around.
    So no sex "rules supreme" and should "rule supreme"

[ October 02, 2002, 21:12: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

5. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Think you all are missing the point.

Main Entry: eman·ci·pate
    Pronunciation: i-'man(t)-s&-"pAt
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): -pat·ed; -pat·ing
    1 : to free from restraint, control, or the power of another; especially : to free from bondage
    2 : to release from paternal care and responsibility and make sui juris
    3 : to free from any controlling influence (as traditional mores or beliefs)

Emancipation means freedom and equality.
    Do we, in fact have freedom and equality among the sexes and different races? I think there are many people in this world who would say no. There are thousands of people in the world who are not free to practice thier religious beliefs as they please, or to work where they wish, or to live thier lives without fear that thier beliefs could cause them to become shunned, persecuted, or even killed.

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    How do you say & and " ??

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I guess you would say "imantsampersandpat" :p .

I understand what it means, I just don't get what aegron's point is.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No we do not have gender equality, perhaps more or less in normal peoples minds but the entire system and all the hidden structures that exist in the western world is created by and for men. Sure we are alot more equal than people in many other parts of the world but we still have a long way to go.

9. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sure white men are a lot more equal than other people. ;)

10. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Why do white men get such a bad rap on the subject of gender equality? Last time I checked, predominantly white countries tend to be the ones in which women *are* treated as equal under the law. I wouldn't want to live in an Arabic, African or Asian culture as a woman. In Canada I have never encountered any systematic unfairness against me because I'm a woman, and I wouldn't trade my (white) American husband for anything. I can't imagine that wonderful Germany is that different, although I must admit I'm biased because the last time I was in Germany as a single girl, a gang of neo-Nazis in the laundromat washed and folded my clothes for me. I'll be the first to admit that worldwide, conditions for women are appalling and need to change, but it seems awfully unfair to blame white men as a group for that situation.

Geez, I seem to be turning into the Republican party representative on these boards. How did THAT happen?

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    There, there.... It'll pass...

I believe that men and women are equal, seeing as both have their strong points and weak points. The way women are treated in many places is indeed appalling. There are times when I am sorely temted to say that the drow society would be preferable to the current state of society in some places.

I probably would have a lot more to say but I am too lazy to do so.

Ara
    (WHatever....)

12. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What does emancipation mean?

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well my dear Sprite, the reson that white men gets the bad rap for everything that happens in the world. It is white men such as me, perhaps a few years older that rule this world. With great powers comes great responsibilities ;)

14. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Emancipation :confused: Nah i dont listen to hiphop :cool:

Seriously i dont think that white and black people are any different(both got a few bad people)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.