1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Embedded malware?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ragusa, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Today I eventually installed adaware on my new installation and wiped out the spyware that had spread on my comp. After that, my media player BSplayer didn't work, and I was asked to install an add on, iirc called When_U_save (or so).

As soon as I did my Avast sounded malware alarm and I aborted.

I have now settled for the VLC media player, which works like charm. But still, anyone else who had a similar experience?

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    In fact I had that in one of my my winblows firewalls! Kind of, at least. It was one of the freeware or shareware firewalls our uni's or our student housing's internet advisors recommend IIRC.

The only time the Avast on that computer alarmed about a spyware, I did as it recommended and quarantined the program. Then I started wondering why I couldn't access the net anymore. One of the first things that came into my mind why the net wouldn't work anymore was the firewall. Looking up where the quarantined file resided was of course a good clue. So I turned off the firewall and bingo. That was it. So out goes the stupid firewall and in with another one.

I guess the problem was that after the trial period, some programs might try to notify some instance what the downloader is doing with it, without going through the fuss of doing that under the permission or the knowledge of the computer's owner. I don't know about programming or anything, but it's a hypothesis...

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I remember that one. It came packed along with Daemon Tools, and when my bro Daemon Tools, When U Save tried to connect to the Internet everytime he would log on - fortunately he has the brillant habit of unplugging the cable modem, so the vile spyware wasn't able to "download" anything.

I was able to eradicate it after uninstalling and reinstalling Daemon Tools, but I wonder if the sucker still has registry keys and crap like that.

But yeah, embedded malware is nothing new. Sometimes the license will clearly tell you that XYZ program will be installed and is necessary for the application you want to install to function, or it installs without knowledge of the person that installs it. Kazaa comes to mind - came packed with Cydoor.

Kitrax's guide is a great source of information regarding malware... though being a Linux user, I'm immune.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    BSplayer has been running on ads (and probably adware) for a couple of years now. Adaware has probably removed it, causing your BSplayer not to work any more.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Which means: it's not worth the hassle to sort it out. Whatever the reason, adware is strictly no-no simply because it is the same as turning your personal computer into a corporate trash-can.

Personally, I prefer ZoomPlayer's free version with the necessary codexes.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you want to use BSplayer, find the last version before it's become adware supported. That's what I use. VLC's never worked properly for me.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My ISP is Qwest DSL with MSN Premium...and when you try to install MSN, Qwest takes the liberty of installing their lame program called 'Qwest Quick Care'...that's *supposed* to help prevent customer service calls...but McAfee and ZoneAlarm both threw up a red flag during the installation. :rolleyes:

I later found out you can install MSN without having the unwanted Qwest spyware program...but the typical PC user wouldn't know how. :bad: :rolling:

8. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

No, you are not.
    http://www.viruslist.com/en/analysis?pubid=184625030

The only reason UNIX-based systems do not get as much malware is simply because the majority of computers are running Windows, so malware programmers do not bother with other systems. It does not make business sense.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.