1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Emulators

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Oaz, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Okay, first of all, I have to ask (as dumb as it may sound), are playing emulators of old Nintendo games (around 7-8 years old) on a computer illegal? I suspect that this might be the case, since it seems odd that one would be able to play a game for free on one's computer, when there are still a few games and systems around.

If this happens to be illegal, admin, please close this thread.

(EDIT: Okay, it's illegal. Sorry about this post then.)

[ August 03, 2004, 04:21: Message edited by: Oaz ]

2. Register Gems: 29/31

For some very dumb reason, it is illegal. Sorry, can't help you out.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe it is legal if you already own a legal copy of the game in question.

Why you would use an emulator if you already have the original is an interesting question, but I'm sure there are reasons...

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It is illegal and is so for a very stupid reason. The publishers can not lose any money if you use emulators because they no longer produce the games or the consoles.

Frankly I think it should be illegal to SELL Roms since they are not your creation.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Emulators == Legal
    ROM's == Generally illegal, as far as I'm concerned. ;)

So talking about emulators is okay on boards like this, but for ROMs you have to go to less strict ones. Of course, games are a different matter again. :p

6. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Because emulators usually add nice new features, we pc users are used to, but which are very rare on console, nl. the ability to save whenever you want, and the ability to skip boring parts of games like movies you have seen tens of thousands of times (though it is through fast forward, instead of really skipping it by clicking). Another use is that most emulators have builtin cheatin devices, so no need to go buy an action replay or gameshark.

Besides, Roms are only illegal if you keep them longer than 24 hours in your possession without owning a copy of the original. Well, apparently that's the case, I'm no lawperson, so I couldn't confirm.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Everyone has a right to make a backup copy of the software they have, and ROM's are basically just backups. That is why they are, technically, legal, but several boards practise tight self-censoring to prevent speech about them.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's a load of nonsense made up by warez distributors to justify their actions. They are illegal, pure and simple. ROMs are not backups, since no one makes ROMs with the intention of keeping them stashed somewhere and never use them unless their original somehow becomes unusable.

Pretty much every moderated board has a rule against linking or discussing warez, if for no other reason than to safeguard against possible prosecution. Most people have common sense enough not to publicly state that they use illegal copies of their software, but every now and then you got someone who is convinced that if their discussions about illegally downloaded software are not allowed, they're being censored and oppressed. But this is usually the people who didn't bother to read the forum rules they agreed to follow upon registration, since it's quite clearly stated there that we don't condone this.

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Taluntain, surely you would never be prosecuted for taking about warez? That is absurd.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

@ Taluntain

Depends of the POV, I guess. Censoring warez-discussion seems reasonable, but I don't think ROMs are exactly "warez" no more than abandonware is (old games no company is using in any way). But like I said; there are boards specialized for discussions like that, and they do not suffer from bureocratic touch like that (and it IS bureocrazy -enforcing law to subject no one really even cares for).

Hey, do I smell material for AoDA? :D

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sarevok•, not for talking about it, but website owners are responsible for what is posted on their boards, so if people started posting links to download warez etc. all over the boards, they could get accused of helping to distribute it etc. In any event, in our case it's more than that - I don't want to see people discussing their illegally downloaded games here, simple as that. If you download and use warez, fine, there's nothing I can do about it anyway. But I don't have to let people brag about it here, or post topics about problems they have with their warez versions of the games. I'm sure you can understand that.

And Wirhe, no, as far as I'm concerned, abandonware is not the same as ROMs. ROMs are out there for pretty much every game, regardless of whether you can still buy it in stores or not, whereas proper abandonware is only old games which can't be bought in stores any more. I have no problems with abandonware discussions, but I don't hold the same opinion about ROMs. You're missing the main point here - I set the rules here, and you're required to follow them. If you have a problem with that, like you said, there are plenty of places on the net where you can discuss your warez and ROMs, and find people who share your viewpoint of their legality.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Actaully some Rom's are abandonware. For example: Bahamut Lagoon which is a SNES Rom (and quite a recent one) and Tactics Ogre a PSX Mod.

These links are to 'Home of the Underdogs' a site that directs people to where to download abandonware/freeware and/or where to buy games that didn't recieve the recognition they deserved.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.