1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Enviromental audio sound problem

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by donzz, Nov 27, 2006.

1. donzz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello everyone.
    After few years of not playing IWD I kinda felt nostalgic and wanted to feel the chilly wind biting my back at the spine of the world... Now the problem is that I have a new laptop now and some sound problems as you may have already know from the title of the thread. So what's the deal? Normally on my old PC I've had enviromental audio turned off by default, yet somehow now the game forces it, and I can't switch it off. That wouldn't be too bad if it doesn't act so weird. I.E when I enter the Everard's temple in Easthaven, the audio has a lot of echo, like in a cave. But when I go out from the temple, the echo doesn't "unload", it just stays with me all the time. It's quite annoying and even follows me when I quit the game :rolleyes:
    I suspect the problem is with my sound card drivers, I use realtek ac97 drivers, latest update. Somehow the game forces that enviromental audio, turns on my sound effects manager in control panel and changes effects. I'm really confused, and don't know how to solve this anymore..
    I forgot to mention that this problem occurs only when I install HOW, the original IWD runs ok. :mad:
    Does anyone have an idea what should I do, please :)
    thx

2. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Do you have patch for HoW? You can try disable environmental audio from icewind.ini file. In your game folder open icewind.ini with notetab and under Game Option look for the line 'Environmental Audio=1' and change it to 'Environmental Audio=0', save the file and close.

3. uglijimus Gems: 6/31

it does sound like it's related to your sound card drivers but it's kind of strange that it doesn't work only with HOW. That's the only thing I can think of...sorry. have you tried doing a diagnostic on your system to see if there are any problems?

4. donzz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Anjo: Yeah, that was one of the first things I did..not much luck either. thanks anyway

I figured out that I have this problem with BGTutu & BG2 too, but not BG1, so all "newer" versions of infinty engine..
    I tried changing the drivers to Via Vinyl and the problem was solved, but I could get sound only from my integrated laptop speakers so I switched back to my old drivers.
    Seems like I'm stuck with this, thanks anyway...

5. uglijimus Gems: 6/31

sure enough, right after i posted, I went into the Trial of the Luremaster part of the game and got the same echoing effect. When I quit the game, the sound didn't follow, but I'm worried that once I return back to HOW, the sound will always be there...if you get any solutions to this problem make sure to post it. Thanks

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as I know, this is a problem with AC'97 drivers and there is no solution to it because no one with these issues has ever reported them to the people responsible for the drivers. The echoing sound issues with AC'97 have been discussed around here dozens of times in the past.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.