1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

EQ withdrawls..

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sintek, Nov 6, 2000.

1. Sintek Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Does anyone know of a game reminiscent of EQ? I, like countless others, became very addicted to it and spent all my free time playing it until I one day I realized I had done everything there is to do, and a sense of boredom came over me, so I just gave up and quit.

But 6 months later I'm really starting to miss it. I've thought about starting a new account many times, but as much as I love it, the bad memories outweigh the good (campers, no parties, the inability to solo, etc.) nor do I want to spend all that time building another character.

So the question once again: Does anyone know of a CRPG like EQ, with a first person perspective, a huge world and numerous quests? I've played through Mask of Eternity, Might and Magic V-VIII, Wizardy Gold, Wizards and Warriors and even Stonekeep (still an awesome game after all these years,) yet still feel the longing for good ol' Evercrack. Graphics aren't important as they are not what makes a game.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well there are a few like that online (MMOCRPGS), but since you played Everquest you probably know which ones they are (or?).

If you mean single player offline games, than Ultima: Ascension would be closest to what you describe.
    But I can't really say I recommend it. It's an amazing power hog and it's numerous bugs had me stop playing it after less than 5 hours. Maybe with the latest patches it isn't that bad, but I generally never touch games that are so buggy that they make me stop playing. (Even the first two patches back then made no difference).
    True, all games are buggy today, but I haven't experienced something as awful as the last Ultima... Well, never, come to think of it.
    You have no idea how dissapointed and frustrated I was since I'm a fan of the series and still regard both Underworlds as some of the best RPGs ever.

On the other hand, I hear great things about Deus Ex. It isn't your fantasy-type RPG, but everyone I know loved it.
    Same goes for Vampire...

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 06, 2000).]

3. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ultima Series were great, the early ones that is.

They knew it was the last Ultima too, so I don't know why they didn't appeal to their fans when everyone was saying "Isometric". They could have released a kick ass Ultima using a redefined Ultima 7 engine, better graphics and threw it on the 2 CDs it took for the engine they used for U9. Just think of how big the world could have been, how many more NPCs and quests there could have been on 2 CDs using the Ultima 7 style engine.

They flopped and they know it. Ultima died with the birth of Ultima 8.

Syl...

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh! Yep! I agree completely about Ultima... Loved 4 through 7 (all 4 of the 7's ;) ) Despised 8 and didn't even try 9 when I heard it was real buggy. Hard to say which is my favorite... I really liked the engine of the 7's, but 5 was a LOT of fun...

5. An experience similar to Everquest? Don't know why you'd want that but here goes...

Start off in the smallest most remote town you can find. Don't bring a map. Don't bring any supplies except a cb radio. Bring a small piece of wood and the clothes on you back. Beat yourself over the head with the piece of wood. Repeat many times. Now wander around and try to find something to do. Watch everyone else laugh at you in their fancy clothes that they bought on ebay. Look for people who take 1 swing at something while thier friends kill it, then boast that they "leveled" by killing it. Just for fun, when you are low on food, run through the wilderness for days trying to figure out where you are, then discover that you are so far away from where you wanted to go that it will take you a week to get there.

Listen to idiots screaming for "tells" or "binds" or using the CB to auction crap when they know they shouldn't. Make sure you only go to the coolest places, which are so crowded that you don't have a prayer of getting in.
    Find and make friends with pathetic losers who shout "Ding!" everytime something good happens to them, even though no one cares.
    Or you could just kill yourself now...

Can you tell that I just love Everquest :D

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited November 21, 2000).]

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmmm... Never tried an online RPG before, but now that I see what a blast Everquest is, I'll have to run out and buy it immediately! I never thought running around with hundreds of other idiots would be much fun; thanks to Balduran for showing me the error of my ways! :rolleyes:

7. Sintek Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Bal, EQ is a different experience in the higher levels and you're in a big guild (Dragons, Planes, guild dungeon crawls, those were the best part), though I know exactly how you feel man.

I'd probably still be playing it if Verant cared in any way about their customers. We shout(ed) "All classes should be able to solo," they say "that would cause an imbalance."

When the next generation of MMORPGS hits the market, like Horizons, Big World and Anarchy Online, EQ will fade away.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.