1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Evil about:blank homepage...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, whenever I open Internet Explorer, the home page it always goes to is about:blank...which is some stupid search page. I have ZoneAlarm running constantly, and use Ad-Aware to remove spyware. Ad-Aware identifies two registry values as "possible browser hijack atempt". So I remove them and any other piece of spyware, ect. from my PC and I reset my homepage back to MSN.

Saddly it still comes up as about:blank the next time I open IE. Is this a virus? How do I prevent my homepage from always being changed? :rolling:

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh no, I hate it when stuff like that happens. The standard answer you will get from people on these Boards is:

"Microsoft is so evil. You fool, you should be using Linux or Mozilla or some such thing."

3. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ad-aware, as good as it is, is not perfect and industrious people can fool it with a bit of effort.
    I suggest you try going to your registry (Start - Run - Regedit) and look at the startup key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion - Run). A chance is, you'll see a bunch of programs there which do not look safe. That especially includes nonsensical keys (akdgafg-like) and keys that look like system names (eplorer.exe, msdli32 kind of names). If you see any of those - record the paths for the programs, wipe the keys, and then wipe the programs by the paths. You may need to close them through the task manager first.

The best advice all in all - do not use Internet Explorer at all. Opera or even Firefox are both better choices.

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Look for CWSshredder.exe. That was the only program that managed to revert all my home page settings back to default. If you want it, I can email it to you, it's quite a small program. Run it with all browser windows closed.

5. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Block svchost.exe in your firewall. You can't remove it, but you can prevent it from all connecting to and from anything.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Kitrax, have you updated Ad-aware to the latest version before you used it? Because it's never failed to get rid of any hijacks for me. But I always run the update before I use it.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Tal, I update it about twice a week.

Chev, I thought that svchost.exe was required to connect to the internet. :rolling:

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I found that it was not svchost that was the problem, it was the trickily named scvhost (note the transposition of the c and the v). That program is insidious and will cause all sorts of problems. If you see it in your Task Manager, kill it immediately and, as Chev says, never let it connect to the Internet. It is removable, but it requires some deft editing of your Registry.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sometimes svchost can't be killed. I mean, it can, but in kills your Windows in turn (45 seconds to be ejected forcibly). An easier way is to let it live but castrate it. A freeware firewall program will suffice for gelding knife.

Scvchost is a different story. Kill on sight, as well as any "eplorers" and the like. For the sake of principles, you can report the culprit (if identifiable) to appropriate authorities in his country or his server's country. Or even some agency. I don't know. I don't care. I typically write the companies a personal thank-you e-mail ending with "best wishes of prompt bankruptcy" and my full name below.

Perhaps your starting page isn't set to about:blank, but to some host which is hated by your system? Search for the "hosts" file and look for the name of your starting page. If it's listed there with 127.0.0.1 (local host) as the address, there you have it. Delete and save.

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

?????????

To this day, I still type in "about:blank" on any browser start page. I'm using Mozilla 1.6 under Fedora Core2, and guess what my start page is? about:blank. I've got that on Konquerer and Epiphany, as well. :)

With windows, it's an internal shortcut to some .html pages in c:/windows/web. The first thing I do when I load a windows machine is delete that entire folder. So about:blank is exactly that; a white page.

If your homepage is always changing on you, then you can just have a bug in some .dll somewhere. A scandisk is in order, along with the antivirus and anti-spyware routes. And checking through your run-at-startup registry stuff. If you can't seem to cure the problem, crash it. Use autopatcher 4.6, and it will load a startup monitor for you.

[edit: oh. whooops. c:bad:windows\web.]

12. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

What I did was:

Emty my Temporary internet files and Web maps in the Windows directory.

Set the internet explorer to your fav. page and then run spybot search and destroy and ad aware.

It helped for me.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Also, when using adaware, make sure you run a deep scan. If you don't know how to do it, you can navigate their faq to find out. Emptying cookies, temp folder and temporary internet folder seems to help as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.