1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Evil Rangers in 3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Crazy J, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Crazy J Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

How do you folks think about the fact that Rangers can be evil in 3rd Edition? I really like 3E, but I had mixed feelings when I heard that Rangers can be evil. I always thought of them as guardians and protectors, of nature and people. It also had a special meaning for Drizzt, coming from such an evil upbringing and heritage, then becoming the closest thing an elf could be to a Paladin in 2E, and keeping his integrety despite all the persecution he suffered. If Salvatore had first written Drizzt with 3E, would he be a Paladin instead? Just my thoughts.

2. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well, now that any idiot can be a ranger, it sort of takes away the novelty.

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't know. I've always just thought of rangers as expert woodsmen and outdoorsmen. Fighters who are at home in the wilderness. I've never really seen them quite as noble as Palidans, and have been perplexed as to their inability to be evil. But then, please note, I know nothing of the classes other that what I've experienced in CRPG, so feel free to disount my 2 cents worth :)

4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

My impression of rangers is that they are the cowboys of Faerun, riding around and upholding good in the wilderness.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm not too keen on the Evil Ranger thing.

Unless they were only hanging out in evil forests...Like Mirkwood or some such. Technically, I would feel better about true neutral Rangers mostly because they are associated with woods, and in general woodlands are neither good nor bad.

But I do get the impression that Rangers are like Cowboys of the woods running around helping people.

6. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well if you think of them as they where something like Shadow druids the idea is not that bad...

7. Crazy J Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This is true, they can even work in concert with Shadow Druids.

8. hooligan_inc Guest

Or like partisans or guerrilla fighters, that kind of thing.

9. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think it's fine, just as it's fine that Druids can now be evil, too. Because nature is full of good things (rainbows, flowers, and kittens) and a darker things (wolves, snakes, and decay), so it makes sense for some Rangers or Druids to be more philosophically aligned with the more predatory, ruthless, and bloody aspects of nature while still serving and respecting it.

10. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

i think it's great! i've always wanted an evil ranger!

11. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Good idea! My next characther is going to be
    "Andorian the politically correct" who loves flowers and bunnies. I'd like to see my friends face if I try that kind of characther...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.