1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Expanding my C-drive?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Orkrist the Cleaver, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] So, now that I', adding RAM to my PC, how can I expand on C drive memory in an affordable way? I want a lot more. I think I have like 1500 mb avaiable after installing my operating software and so on, but no games. Its not ebven enough room for the full install of BG2! I don't know if I can have BG2 and TOB on my PC! Whats up with that? I know there are "plug-in" expanders, but what else is out there in terms of "chips" and what not? What is it called?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Your C: drive is a hard disc drive. If you want only a C: drive for storing programs etc. (you already have a D: drive that is a CDROM or something) then you'll have to replace the one you have with a bigger one.

If you just add and not replace a new hard disc drive, it will occupy the D: slot and if you already had a D: drive and higher, they will all shift up by one letter. This can cause some problems.

Most (maybe all) hard disc drives come with a utility (or it can be downloaded from the company's website) to install it and copy all the data from your old drive onto the new one...

Essentially it's a box-shaped device (about the size of your 3.5" floppy drive) that you hook up to the power supply and an interface cable.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 27, 2001).]

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

The standard motherboard supports 4 drives(2 slots with IDE cable that supports 2 drives) and a floppy (perhaps 2, can't remember).

so if you have a cd-rom and harddisc you still have 2 left, you just put another harddisc in it (perhaps you need a cable if you dont have any).
    Then you could have a whole drive for games or anything else for that matter.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 07, 2001).]

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

As stated above you will have to replace your C drive to get more memory. Do you have a D drive? Did you hard drive come partitions? You can check out hardward pricing on this site. www.pricewatch.com Price Watch has lists and price for all kinds of hardware. You wnat to look at IDE hard drives.

Let me know if you have any questions.

5. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Orkist, what sort of system do you have? You must keep in mind older bios limitations that only allow certain sized hard drives. Not really a problem, just need to either update your bios or partition your drive into smaller useable sections.

6. Seric Exz Guest

If the BIOS has an 8GB (or whatever) size limit on hard disks, partitioning the rest of the disk into smaller drives won't help (AFAIK). You'll only be able to access those 8GB. You can usually download "workaround programs" from the websites of disk manufacturers, though.

If you have a desktop, make sure you have enough power outlets and physical space to add another disk.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Right, I would say all hard disc drives these days come with utilities (or you can download them if you get a bare drive only and not a kit) that circumvnet the BIOS limitations. Essentially they put their own BIOS at the start of the drive that comes up every time you boot.

I think you put a hex on me with this post Orkrist; my drive is now beginning to fail so I had to replace it last night, but the old drive was bad enough that it wouldn't make the image copy, so I have to reinstall everything! What a PITA! And I didn't get very far last night either... :mad:

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I would recommend replacing the old HD with the new one for increased speed in OS loading and most other operations. The old drive can be used as an extra (d: or whatever).

9. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Maybe you should consider doing a seriour system overhall if you need to consider all these upgrades. Gut the case and replace all its innards.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.