1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

F/M/T quick weapon slot problem

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Silverstar, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] I only have IWD, no expansions installed. I also have EoU mod.

I recently created a half-elf F/M/T, and noticed that he only has one quick weapon slot! This is tedious as he goes between melee and ranged often(swords and bows) but each time I want to do so, I have to enter inventory screen, de-equip the current weapon and equip another, which is boring and tiring. And I have to switch weapons frequently sometimes for best efficiency.

What should I do? Is there a way I can alter this? How? Does HoW or other expansions, mods change this? Can you help me?

2. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ah, same hapens with thief/mage iirc.

Nothing to do, i have hOW installed and same issue. So i ended with keeping thief/mage in background (as if she had anything to do in front ranks anyway)

This is unfortunatelly a hardcoded limitation.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've always thought this was kind of lame. There doesn't seem to be any good reason why if a single-class mage can quickly switch between staff and sling, a more combat-savvy mage/thief can't do the same.

This hasn't bothered me too much because I always play with a party and my mage/thief shooting a bow 99% of the time. However, in your case, I can see how it would totally ruin your game.

Here's something that might work (longshot), create a fighter/thief/cleric or fighter/thief (anything with at least 2 quick-weapon slots), then use Dalekeeper t change the class post-creation. Might work, might not - but it may be worth trying.

Question: is it the same way in BG2? I've never played a triple-class in BG2, but I don't remember hearing about the same problem there.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

No in BG2 they have 2 quick-weapon slots. Thanks for the idea, I may just try it. But then, one icon should be absent in the interface. Which one? :confused:

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

BG1 and IWD's icons are taken up by Guard, Talk, the three thieving skills, Cast Spell, Use Item (that you're wearing), the three Quick Items, and Special Abilities, leaving only one slot left for weapons. BG2 solves this somewhat by subbing out either Guard or Talk for a second weapon slot.

6. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I remember I once read that weaponslots are hard coded, so there is nothing you can do about it. That's a lame though.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Actually, and I may be wrong :) , triple classes with 2 weapon slots in BG2 work because the resolution is higher (800x600 iirc) instead of 600x480.

8. Felinoid

Nope. Regardless of resolution, you only get twelve icons. Look for the Guard and Talk icons next time and you'll notice one of them is missing.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Weird, as I have both. Oh well, the one weapon slot is the reason I don't take triple classes in IWD. Even with pause, it's still a pain. Personally, I can make due with 2 quick item slots in exchange for 2 weapon slots on a triple class.

10. Felinoid

:shake: I was talking about if you had two weapon slots with a triple class (i.e. BG2); I guess I should have made that clearer. Naturally you'll still have both Guard and Talk in IWD, because they don't sacrifice one of them for the second weapon slot like BG2 does.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@Fel - BG2, yes, that's what I meant. I have guard and talk icons.

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Actually I play BG2 with 600x480 resulotion as I think it looks cuter and with more chaarcter details. I don'T like it when characters get tinier and tinier with bigger resulotions, and I am quite used to 640x480 from IWD.

But in BG2, F/M/T has 2 quick weapon slots, even in 640x480, but he has NO guard button. In BG2 only some pure fighter classes have the guard button. So other classes can not use not so much known guarding action. Weird, lame. Whatever you may call, but it is better than having only one weapon slot, I mean, it is not a QUICK weapon slot at all, just a slot. :(

13. Felinoid

@kuemper:
    Well, the F/M/C could have both since they only have the Turn Undead button to worry about instead of three thieving skill buttons, but an F/M/T or M/T should be missing something somewhere. Tell ya what, count your icons and if you come up with thirteen...tell me what mods you're using. :hmm:

14. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

How many people actually use the Guard button anyway? I never have.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I figured it out. Took half a day. :heh: I don't play triple classes at all, so I didn't realize (specifically) F/T/M and F/C/M have one button less. I thought, since M/T also had the one weapon slot monkey business, it would be the same with all multiclasses that had it. My M/T has all the buttons. He he, sorry for the trouble. :doh:

16. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I have used Guard function a good bit in BG1. Usually to make the main combatant to guard a mage or something similar. they will group up aound the mage and fight outward, quite handy at times. also works as "follow" in multi.

You could always map "guard" to a button in cases where you dont have the buton (bg2), should work.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.