1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

factions: can you join them all? *slight spoiler*

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by coineineagh, Aug 26, 2008.

1. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :DI just found out there's a way to join the independent faction, after doing some sabotage work for Bedai-Lihn in the Godsmen foundry. Your first task is to kill Qui-Sai in the festhall. I won't do this until after I've met Vhailor, because he gives great bonuses if you're lawful. I like the indeps, because bringing down corrupt powerhouses is more beneficial in the long run than anything any faction believes in.

But this brings up a question in my head: Can all the factions be joined? The walkthroughs I've perused only list 4 or 5 factions you can join, but there are more. I believe the Mercykillers and the Harmonium can be joined too somehow, and there are probably more factions previously thought unjoinable too.

I'd like to make this thread a place where you can share info, if you have some.

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You can't join the independent faction - the one you are thinking of is the Anarchists. :)

You can only join the Dustmen, Godsmen, Sensates, Anarchists and Xaositechts.

If you join the Anarchists, you can then join other factions as a spy for the Anarchists. This is the only way to multi-faction.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  3. coineineagh

Media:
    i haven't played it to its full ending, but the mission seemed pretty much like those 3 missions you get from the dustmen and the godsmen if you want to join.
    I told Bedai-Lihn in the foundy that I thought I got an empty title, and she gives you missions to destroy the godsman project, kill Sandoz, and smuggle her out, as described in Dan Simpson's walkthrough. But I questioned her extensively, and when talking about the indeps/independent faction, she was very detailed. Before I had smuggled her out, she already told me that I needed to go to the print shop and tell the shopkeeper "The city must burn". The shopkeeper tells me I need to perform some missions first, and my first mission is killing Qui-Sai in the festhall, because he's a threat. I didn't save at that point, because I intend to do the missions after Vhailor. But it seems like another one of those 3-quest-tests.
    Check it out for yourself. You can't even speak to Bedai-Lihn about sabotage and membership before you've become part of the godsmen, so maybe that's why it's been overlooked by many walkthrough-writers. BTW I can't become a member of the chaosmen/xaositects, probably because I'm already lawful good, and they won't accept me.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That's because to join the Chaosmen you have to be a compatible alignment ;)

The print shop owner is an anarchist. One of the people you speak to for recruitment.

The Revolutionary Legue isn't the Indeps, which is what she refers to her faction by, it's another name for the Anarchists.

On SP there is a faction page in the PS:T section.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    If you consider "join them all" as in joining all the "joinable" factions in the same game, it's possible, though it may have to be done in a certain order. Barking Wilder will not give you the option to join the Xaositects after a certain point in the game, for example. Also note that you can be a member of both the Xaositects and the Anarchists at the same time. You can also be a member of a third faction on top of these two, but the other factions are mutually exclusive, so you can only be a member of one of three: Dustmen, Sensates and Godsmen. This is also the order I'd do them, as being a Godsman lets you use some pretty nifty items.

6. coineineagh

Media:
    [​IMG] So let me get this straight:

Independents/Indeps, lawful neutral?
    Revolutionary League/Anarchists, true neutral?
    Xaositects/Chaosmen, chaotic neutral?
    All seek freedom from the established order, in their own way.They all seem to have a chaotic element to them, no wonder I'm confused. The chaosmen are a bit of a nonsense faction (howls like a dog:banana:) IMHO.

I thought joining the Sensates last would be best, because of the Sensory touch, but that wasn't too powerful, and only once a day. The Godsmen items are nice, but I expect to find better items later, until then my +1 axe works fine.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The Indeps are a faction that is pretty much comparible to some Indies in normal society ;) They're a faction in the sense they don't want to belong to any other faction. They just want to live their own lives without being bothered constantly by other factions: Not so much they don't WANT the other factions to exist. They just don't feel the need to be involved with them. Even Annah profits from the Dustmen and she's an Indep ;)

The Revolutionary League believe they should tear down all order within the City of Doors and build it all up again in their own idealised image - problem is each one has a different image of course. They want to know what all the factions are doing, what all their plans are - they put spies in strategic locations to discover the best ways of intercepting plans and expansion for the faction they're plotting against this weekend. THEY want to destroy the established order and rebuild it without the interruption of other factions and possibly the Lady - though she let them continue to exist.

The Xaositects believe the whole world is created from chaos, they believe order is their bane, but you can't even find a consitant opinion on that! Their unifyijng factor is there should never be a unifying factor, chaos rules supreme and most would be perfectly at home in Limbo babbling away to themselves... in fact most end up there when they croak anyway :lol: Many are clinically insane though some are... reasonable people. In so much they decided chaos is supreme through their own sane judgment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.