1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Faerun's Deities and new domains

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Master of Nuhn, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    FRCS has some nice domains for its pantheon, as an addition to the regular domains in the PHB.

Lathander (still my favorite) for example, has the Good, Protection, Strength and Sun Domains we already saw in the PHB. In addition, there are his Nobility and Renewal Domains in the FRCS.

Now there are some more books, covering more new domains. There are 20 new domains in Complete Divine. There is the Creation domain for Garl Glittergold, Moradin and Yondalla. Celerity for Ehlonna, Fharlanghn and Olidammara. Many more.

If you'd be a DM, would you like to swap a few things from one book to an other, giving clerics extra domains to choose from?
    Would you assign domains from the FRCS to the regular D&D deities, like (i.e) granting Pelor the Renewal Domain, just like Lathander has?

And what domains would you add to Faerun's Deities?
    I'm especially interested in Lathander's domains. These are the domains I like to add:

Community Domain: "Encourage Social, cultural and political progress. Strive always to aid foster new hope, new ideas and new prosperity to humankind and..."
    Competition Domain: The church of Lathander sponsors athletic and artistic competitions to showcase the talents of the community.
    Glory Domain: Lathander's hatred for the undead and his connection to royalty, light and life makes this domain a good possibility.

What domains would you like to see added to some of your favorite deities?

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Actually, I would be hard pressed to change any of that. Only if it makes really good sense and is in a way vital to the character. Clerics are overpowered as they are already. Giving them more flexibility in picking domains is icing on a cake that's too damned big already :)

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I don't have the Complete Divine, but I'm actually not too fond of the new domains from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. I tend to stick with the spells and domains from the PHB, like I do with a lot of other things like feats. It is not that I don't allow my players to choose from the accessories or other things that are not listed in the core books, but I do like them to consult with me first, so I can review it carefully.

However, I would probably allow it if one of my players wants to play a cleric with the domains from the Complete Divine, because then they could finally take care of their own healing, and not depend on me to pick them out of the grave when their kick in the door strategy takes its toll.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Faragon: You got a point (so does Mesmero btw ;) ). Divine characters are somewhat overpowered and the clerics are not an exception.
    But the purpose for this flexibility is (or should be) not power, but roleplay. You could as well ignore new feats for characters, like Vow of Poverty for monks. It's making them powerful, but it's a roleplaying matter nontheless.

This time, my Priest of Lathander is less interested in beaming undead to clouds of ozon. He's more interested in the skills of the community and selfperfection. To give his personality a sharper edge, I'm interested in the Community and Renewal Domains. Perhaps the Competition Domain is having a chance too.
    If it was for power improvement, I'd have picked Strength and Sun domains. But that's not the thing now.

My question is: Would it make sense?

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the purpose of your initial post.

For the priest you described Community and Renewal seem like a good combination of domains. However, I'm having doubts why you would want to add the Competition domain to a priest of Lathander.

I assume the Competition domain is from the Complete Divine, so I'm not really (read: 'really not') familiar with this domain. I'm also assuming that the Complete Divine doesn't list Competition as one of Lathander's domains. My interpretation of Lathander's description in the FRCS and Faiths and Pantheons, is that he encourages sports only for team-building and to stay healthy and arts as a part of creating new things. Both also come with looking at things from a new perspective and trying new things for a certain problem. With a Competition domain, my thought directly go to some sort of joy for competition, like you would have with gods like Tempus of Kord.

But that's just my interpretation and I hope it answers your question.

6. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    That's not strange. I was quite vague. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the importance, function and 'character' of a new domain for a cleric. My goal was to check if the mentioned domains make sense.

I was having doubts too. I'll match my opinion with others and decide if it's doable.

Complete Divine doesn't list any domain as one of a Faerunian deity. That's actually why I started this thread.. ;)

Kord is the only one mentioned under the Competition Domain. You get a +1 bonus on opposed skill checks, an extraordinairy ability. Spells are Remove Fear, Zeal (new), Prayer, Divine Power, Righteous Might, Zealot Pact (new), and more spells that have more to do with combat. I don't think Competition would be a suitable one.

With Community Domain, you can use Calm Emotions as a spell-like ability once per day and you gain +2 on diplomacy checks. Spells are Bless, Status, Prayer, Tongues, Rary's Telepathic Bond, Heroes' Feast, Refuge, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion and Mass Heal.
    Core Deities mentioned are Corellon Larethian, Garl Glittergold, Pelor and Yondalla.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.