1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Farseer Trilogy

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Melhisedek, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Dear LORD where have I been and what stupid things I've been reading with such a jewel right in front of my nose :( Feel like such an idiot now.

Anyway I'm at the first book and blown away, just want to know if the quality will remain the same or? Also what could I possibly read after this "feast for my soul" :)

I would like to thank you guys for mentioning this wonderful book so many times that even thickheaded fool like me had to pick it up :)

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It will continue on its excellent run and the other two trilogies in the same world are basically of the same quality.

If you love Hobb I would recommend George RR Martin's A song of ice and fire and Steven Erikson's A tale of Malazan book of the fallen. Those three are by far the best fantasy writers at this time. Like the tenth time I make these recommendations. ;)

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    The quality will remain the same, one of my favorites as well :D . The Tawny Man continues the story and The Liveship Traders Trilogy links to the story too.

4. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

This is both a curse and a blessing :) Blessing to be able to experience something this wonderful and a curse because everything I read afterwards will "taste worse than it should have" :)

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Listen to Joacquin. There is somebody who knows how to recommend books.

Hobb is great, but Erikson is ever better, so life is all good.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hobb is awesome.

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

HB, a contraversial comment to make. I'd rate Hobb over Erikson. Wanna fight about it? :D

I personally read Liveship Traders after the Fitz books, and was eminently pleased with myself when I figured everything out. I can't understand why people read them between Assassin and Tawny Man.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Because that's the order they go in. Personally, I don't know why there such heated debate about what order you read the books. Read them whatever way you want, but I prefer to read them in chronological order because that makes more sense and also because Tawny Man provides massive spoilers about what happens in Liveship Traders (because it happens afterwards).

And I rate Erikson higher simply because the scope of his work so much wider and richer. But they're both great.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    HB has it right: Erikson over Hobb. Just try to make through Shaman's Crossing without some No Doze.... :sleep:

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Martin thrashes both, actually, methinks. The problem I have with Erikson is that I think he almost, ALMOST, over-reaches with the scale of what's going on. Martin uses a smaller scale than Erikson, so his work is easy to digest.

When reading Erikson, I always feel the need to hunt through dramatis personae and glossaries to try and remeber who the hell is who, a problem I never have with Martin.

Dammit, I need that Dance of Dragons now!

11. Harbourboy

I have to do that with both Erikson and Martin. I can never remember who Ser So and So is related to.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Martin does not even approach Hobb or Erikson in regards to chararcter rendering or world building; both are superior.

With Martin, I really don't care. But this is far off topic - let me suggest a different thread for such a subject regarding which writer is better...

[ September 01, 2006, 06:39: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

13. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Dang it was a suffering to read these last 4-5 posts :) I expected some spoiler to come in but hats of you you lads not one did sneak in :)

I'm in trouble as I think of the books the whole day long but sadly my time is very, very limited so I have to settle with 30-60 min a day tops :( But boy Hobb sure got me :p I can't think of anything else ;)

Just one question... does the story ends with the books? I mean do I have to wait a few years for a next book as I do reading "Wheel of time" or is story complete right now? Feel free to recommend a few writers and books (I'm all over this "Recommend a fantasy book" thread)

... back to thinking about my book ...

14. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Each trilogy is an independent story in themselves. There's no cliffhanger ending which would take from the first trilogy to the second like the Wheel of Time has IIRC, been a while since I read Jordan.

So it's pretty safe reading until you get to Hobb's latest trilogy which is still currently under work.

15. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    It appears you have good taste- Hobb is a very good author. Give yourself a cookie.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@joac

only the 10th time? :p

it's definitely good stuff. some of the best reading recommendations i've gotten are from this board.

17. Harbourboy

Yes. If you read all 9 books, you will have one self contained cycle. Not like Martin, where you have to wait two years after each cliffhanger.

18. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Lord I just had to make a post now, am at Book 3 "Assassins Quest".

Just read a a few lines that made me shiver with emotion. I am not kidding, this has happened to me just a few, few times before.

It is incredible, this is "just a book" we are talking about but I feel like I know all the characters, love them, hate them, am mystified and so on.

Right now I don't want it to end :) Just wish I had more time for reading :(

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's exactly how I felt when I read them mate. No other book has got me feeling so involved with the characters. Terrific stuff.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yep. As I've said before: Fitz is the most unfortunate protagonist I've ever read. He gets is worse than the Starks in ASoIaF

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.