1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite 1st person shooter

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Shralp, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

The "Favourite Game" thread was too broad for me, and the responses too long for me to read through. Plus, it had the fatal flaw of misspelling "favorite."

I want to know what your two favorite 1st person shooter games for the PC are and why.

My favorite is Thief. I love perching and shooting, creeping about in the shadows, and being weaker than the guards who attack you. Real sense of strategy in the game. I didn't like the demonic element that entered into later levels, but it's still the best thing out there. Love the Dark Engine.

Second is Heretic/Hexen. All kinds of cool powers, plus you could fly. It was straight shooting except for having to find door keys here and there, but the graphics were good and the enemies weren't complete morons.

2. PowerPuff Guest

My favorites are Unreal and Quake 2. (Well, I haven't really played any 1st person shooters since Unreal was released, so I sort of feel like I've been living under a rock here...:o)

Unreal is nice because of the look-and-feel, and the 'story' in the game. I just love being ambushed by a bunch of Skaarj... Besides, I kinda feel like I'm out adventuring when running through the wilderness with a flak cannon :D

Quake 2: Multiplayer rocks, and it's just old enough that it runs smoothly on the computers currently available to me. Go rocket jumping on a rainy day... (I hated Quake 3; felt like I was running around in Legoland or something with the spinning health packs and all that)

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith!!! All the way!

Shooters + the Force = ultimate FPS

I have yet to play Jedi Outcast but I'm sure it carries on the tradition.

There is nothing like speeding down a street in a spaceport, force jumping two stories, turning around, swiveling a concussion rifle or rail gun down, and shooting at those poor souls who were chasing after you.

I've been on low health and running through a narrow passage, counting my seconds, and whipped out my lightsaber, turned around, and sliced my startled pursuer in half. He thought he was going to get a cheap kill, little did he realize how unpredictable I am :p.

My four favorite powers are speed, jump, grip, and absorb. Sight is nice but after awhile, you don't need it, you can sense invisible enemies...

Favorite weapons are lightsaber and rail gun

Most hated weapon is any enhanced with rifle scope! I'm just jealous because I can't use the scope good. But those who can... oh man!

It's the only FPS I've put up with. All others I find too bland.

(Just to make it clear I am raving about the MP part. The SP is good, but the MP is what shines.)

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited April 22, 2002).]

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmm... I'd say Operation Flashpoint - i just find the whole traversing an entire island a kewl thing!

And er ... Counter-strike? That is one bad ass game!

5. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Might and Magic VI and VII ;)

Other than that I've played Counterstrike a lot. Got some fairly good Quake III skills, but I usually don't like FPSes that much.

6. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Jedi Outcast is the best FPS out there!

It starts out a little rocky with endless storm troopers and jumping puzzles, but quickly evolves into a fabulous force wielder game.

EVERY body movement leads to a different lightsaber swing, and there are different lightsaber fighting styles. For instance, move backward and "swing", and you'll pull a Darth Maul when he's fighting Qui Gon. Good stuff!

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I don't know about you Sapiryl, but I like a lot of stormtroopers :).

I remember my glee back in the day when I was playing Dark Forces (the grandfather of Jedi Outcast ;)) and on the 4th mission I crept on a ledge only to find a unit of unsuspecting stormtroopers in formation below me. It immediately became apparent what I was to do. A clink clink clink and a BOOM later, and my thermal detanator took them all out. :evil:

Hmmm I think though that this new game called Bounty Hunter that will be coming out is going to be as good as Jedi Outcast if not better. Thank you Lucas for Jango and Boba Fett. Send in the clones baby!

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited April 22, 2002).]

8. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Timesplitters, and the original Unreal. Roll on Timesplitters 2...

*EDIT* Crap; sorry, missed the PC bit. I guess I liked Duke Nukem 3D when it came out. Then again, I was about 13...

[This message has been edited by Will (edited April 23, 2002).]

9. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

I just finished Allied Assult: Medal of Honor.....GREAT GAME!

10. total Guest

I dont like FPS very much but last FPS i got hooked and finished it was Serious Sam and the second place (but first in multiplayer) goes to Counterstrike (well yes it doesnt have single plkayer, but playing with the BOTs is near).

I must also mention FPS that i finished several times a long time ago: Doom 1 (any nostalgic guys (girls) out there?)

And the best FPS Demo Award goes to: darn, cant remember the title, it was first Star Wars FPS, Dark Forces? I played that first level at least 100 times, but never liked the whole game, finished it though.

11. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I just hate them all. Running around and waving your mouse at targets that'll shoot you to pieces in seconds unless you're a good player (at least in multiplayer). Rocketjumps *groan*. Medikits that'll boost you to full health just by running over them in a firefight. People that take two or three rockets in their chests without even slowing down. Jumping all the time so you're harder to hit. *mutters on and off about everything in the silly games, even about the features*

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Ultima Underworld.

13. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Counterstrike in a network gaming cafe. 16 on 16 in de_dust 2. :grin:

I'm consistently beaten by 11 year olds, but its more fun than playing against bots. :borg:

14. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] How can we forget the king? HALF-LIFE redefined the ENTIRE FPS GENRE. Still a great game years later. 2nd place: DEUS EX! How can you talk about FPS without mentioning it? Unless you count it as an RPG, that is. I suggest the purchasing of this game to EACH and every person on these boards. It is a fabulous game with shooter, RPG, and action elements, and an incredibly deep, (kinda) non-linear story. And it doesn't require a mega-PC to run it well! The weapons are great and can be modified, as well as the player's skills as the game progresses. Any questions? Just post them or contact me, I want to convince as many people as possible to try it. C'mon Extremist, BTA, Tal, there has to be a hidden shooter inside you!

[This message has been edited by SlimShogun (edited April 25, 2002).]

15. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] My favourite single player is Unreal Tournament for it's shere number of options and mutators. It is also the only FPS that i ever bothered to finish. I haven't played much multi-player of it but that which i did play was great [ok i got my ass kicked, splaated and shot but it was still good]

My second favourite is Quake 2 for the multi-player fun i had with my friend over a serial cable for about a year. He was amazingly skillfull and for the first 20 games i never even hit him. But when i did it was the greatest thing ever. The best game of it i ever played was against my mate [the one i already mentioned above] He had the better computer and i had the old one with no speakers. This meant that i could tell how close i was to him by how loud my shots were heard on his speakers. It was quite possibly the most tactical battle i ever had. I also love Quoole [the Quake 2 editor] for it's verstility and being able to make exploding people.

16. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Tribes TAC (Team Aerial Combat)

There's nothing like it:

Your apc just crashed, your flag is not the base and your jet pack is running on fumes. Hit the suicide key and go play nintendo. This game is too much for ya.

17. Deus Ex rules!! Has anyone played it?!

18. Trias Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Soldier of Fortune,since i'm rather sadistic:evil::evil::evil:

19. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Jedi Outcast :) - The single player is great - A bit short, but a great plot, and amazing gameplay. And the multiplayer aspect of it is great fun.

Unreal Tournament - Purely for the sheer number of hours that I have wasted in front of this game - which must be more than any other game I've played. Generally, I play the Unreal Fortress mod for it, but occasionally play the normal game.

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited April 26, 2002).]

20. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Dreadmaster: I've tried to play Deus Ex and thought it was great except for some reason when i try to play it on my computer it just crashes too often for me to get into it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.