1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite Hero / Villian from books you've read?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Bassil Warbone, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I am just regaining the ability to read again after a car wreck and some of the books I have read are crap (Keep on the Borderlands, caves of chaos, Heirs of Prophisy, all WTC products. I just don't connect with the characters like in the books I read in the past like Winds of Change series, The Magician series By Ramond Fiest?, some of the TSR stuff. It got me thinking about characters from books that I read that I liked even if I didn't like the book. anyway my Favourites are Boromir from LotR and Artimus Entrei? From Dritz Books. What are yours.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Artemis Entreri :)

whoa, there're so many :o

but I'll keep it down to a fantasy setting and members of a series. Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister from aSoIaF, FitzChivalry Farseer from the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies and Jaraxle Baenre from Salvatore's stuff. Entreri is cool but has caught Drizzt's habit of soul-searching too much. Also, Sam Vimes, Rincewind and Lord Vetinari from the Discworld. Those're what come to mind right now, I'll add some more later.

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Same:Enteri, Jarlaxe,Fitz

But also:
    Hero:Belgarion from David Edding's Belgariad, Haplo from Margaret Weis's & Tracy Hickman's Death Gate

Villain:Grand Admiral Thrawn from Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, umm... no one else comes to my mind right now.

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Villain: Artemis Entreri for sure, Jarlaxle (if you can call him a villain)(not under the influence of Crenshinibon)

Hero: Bruenor, Gimli, Drizzt (to some extent)

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hero: Arya Stark (Song of Ice and Fire), Malta Vestrit (Liveship Traders), Gandalf (Lord of the Rings), Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars), Fiddler (Tales from the Malazan Book of the Fallen)

Villain: Emperor Palpatine (Star Wars).

I find that most villains are too unbalanced (super-powerful enough to destroy the world, but slip up stupidly or have a glaring Achilles heel that can be exploited by a nobody).

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Marc Remillard from the Galactic Milieu Trilogy. Doesn't get any better than him for villains, especially as you can see his point of view.

7. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Heroes: Waylander, Jon Shannow ( although they're both anti-heroes I suppose :p ), Jon Snow, Bilbo Baggins. There are plenty more but I can't think of them just now.

Villians: Three Swords from Hero In The Shadows - I just love how he juggles his swords as he kills innocent folk :p

I'll post again when I think of some more.

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Heroes : Boromir from lotr, Cara from SoT, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Aayla Secura from SW. Conan from various Conan books.

Bad guys : Asaij Ventress from SW, Gollum from lotr, Nicci from SoT

Can`t think of anyone else. Most heroes and badguys are very stereotyphical. The are ok to some extent, then they become lame on me.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Heroes: Death and Vimes by Pratchett, Fitz by Hobb, Sparrowhawk by LeGuin, Samwell Tarly and Jamie Lannister by Martin, Elric by Moorcock (the latter two qualify as 'anti-heros').

Villains: Vetinari, Saruman, Cersei Lannister

Witches: Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg ;)

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Hero/ine(s): Herald-Mage Elspeth and Darkwind from Mercedes Lackey, John Carter from Edgar Rice Burroughs

Villian/ess: Tom Riddle aka Voldemort from Harry Potter series

Other: Greebo the cat from Maskerade by Terry Pratchett

11. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@ kuemper, I liked Mercedes Lackey's early stuff but lost track of her. And you are the only other person I know who has heard of John Carter.

12. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Hero/ine: Jon Shannow and Waylander (David Gemmell), Corwin (Roger Zelazny), Kirth Gersen (Jack Vance), Vanyel, Elspeth, Alberich (Mercedes Lackey), John Carter (Edgar Rice Burroughs), Conan (Robert E Howard), Rincewind, Granny Weatherewax, King Carrot (Pratchett), Silk, Belgarion, Sparhawk (David Eddings)

Villain/ess Saruman, Nazgul, Sauron (Tolkien), Kal Torak, Zandramas (David Eddings) Tom Malvolio Riddle, Severus Snape, Lucius Malfoy (JK Rowling), Dara (Roger Zelazny)

And in a class of his own Death (Pratchett)

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You have got to be kidding. I guess nobody reads the classics anymore.

I personally like Tars Tarkas more than John Carter.

Heroes: James Bond Stockdale (yeah, non-fiction, sue me), The Champion Eternal, Ged, Muad'Dib, George Smiley

Villains: Randall Flagg, General Woundwort, Jame Gumb, Injun Joe, Professor Moriarty

14. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Heroes: Drizzt, Belgareth, Talen, tenahka Khan(sp?David Gemmel character),Fitz, Arya Stark

Villains: Artemis Entreri, Jarlaxle, Tyrion Lannister, Phaerun, Ryld.

15. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hero: Dirk Pitt, Al Giordino from any of the Dirk Pitt series, Phaerun (only drow with a sense of humour)

Villians: Paul and Robert Capsterre from Treasure (Dirk Pitt Series)

Yo, LoS_DrIzZt4, whats your reasoning for Phaerun being a villian? I mean I know he's evil and all but he is one of the protagonists of the series.

16. The mad haggis Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Commander Vimes, Waylander, Druss, Pug and Tomas.

Saruman, Severus Snape

17. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Heroes:
    Dritz, Calis & Tomas & Pug & Tinuva & Jimmy the Hand & Dash & Jimmy & Nicholas & William & GORATH! (various Feist books), Elrond (LOTR), Obi-Wan & Yoda (SW), Thorn (Bitterbyne Trilogy)

Villans:
    Gollum & Saruman (LOTR), Vader (SW)

Can't think of anymore at the moment...Do characters from manga count? :D

Edit:
    Forgot to add Nakor to my hero list

[ August 28, 2006, 12:48: Message edited by: shadow lurker ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.