1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite Role-Playing System

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Register, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The ultimate question returns, which one is YOURS favourite RP-ing system, including D&DXE?

I know that Aikanaro will say Pathwanderer, but how about you other, normal, mortals? :D

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I have only played DnD 3e and 3.5, so that's going to be my vote.

However, I seriously loathe the way combat and skillchecks work. I can strike once in 6 six seconds? Hell, I'm no lvl20 fighter, but I can easily do an arnis 6 count (which is six attacks while dualwielding two say light weapons) within 3 seconds EASILY.

Also, last night's session, I spent the entire combat trying to climb up a hill with a steepness of 45 (dunno how else to say it :doh: ) with a DC of 5. Each time I'd get the first climbing round correct, and then I'd roll a 1 on the second round. Several times. Failures like that shouldn't come up that often. Maybe it's just the Dicebot that hates me though. :bang:

So I'll vote DnD, but simply because I've not played any other system.

3. Register Gems: 29/31

Yeah, such things sucks. That is why I almost never plays 3E anymore, I've started to play Neo-Tech 2 instead.

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Heh, its pretty much the same with me.
    I havent played anything else than 3ed. So i really cant vote if i dont know anything else ;)
    It is completely unrealistic, i totaly agree with this. But it is very detailed, with many possibilities and in use for such a long time that it's pretty well balanced(except for the nefarious wizards later on ;) ).

btw, for PCs attacking only once per 6 seconds. Yes, it is possible to attack much more often that that, but its dangerous. If you just charge in at the enemy recklessly and start swinging then you're going to be more often than not just impaled on whatever he has (excluding a spear which is ridiculosly easy to swat aside). So i imagine this once/6 seconds attack includes all kinds of feints of an attack and searching for any openings.
    Though this explanation isnt that good either, since there exist barbarians and charge attacks and feint feats. :rolleyes:

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What about D&D 1st edition rules? They should never have messed around with those original rules. I believe the only classes available in 1st edition Basic rules were Fighter, Magic-user, Cleric, and Thief. And I think the only races were Human, Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling. How much easier does that sound?

6. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As a level 1 fighter, you don't just attack once every 6 seconds, you attack whenever you have the chance. The 1 attack a round is just an arbitrary number used to represent how a character advances in skill. Come on, use you imagination people. That is half of the fun about dnd.

7. Register Gems: 29/31

Some people in here are getting off-topic... :rolleyes: :D

That is why I wrote D&DXE, not 3e or AD&D or 3.5E or...

Also, that is why I didn't make a poll of this as it is nearly as much systems as players nowadays.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My favorite is still 2nd edition, although I must admit that 2nd edition came out when I was a teenager, which is when I played the most, so I am biased. But that's just in the D&D world. I also used to play a middle earth roleplaying game, that was considerably more complex than D&D, although I sadly don't remember much about it. From what I do remember, everything was roled on percentage dice i.e., 2 ten-sided dice. As such there were many more permutations for attack rolls beyond a hit or miss. If you rolled exceptionally high (like in the 90's) you scored a critical hit, which could do any variety of different things, as there were even classes of critical hits (A through D I believe). Depending on what class of critical hit you got, you would again roll the percetage dice to determine the result of the critical hit. (You'd have to look up the result on a table.) Similarly, low rolls resulted in fumbles (roughly the equivalent of a critical miss) which also were subgrouped A though D. Overall, while the system did give more realism to the game, the system was so detailed that it was rather cumbersome, especially to new players.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

I like 3E, but I'm very psyched about playing 3.5E, since I absolutely love the (improved) changes that the designers have made. It's also easy to justify the whole "unrealistic" aspect of the game, since much of it (esp. combat) is abstract (ex. you're not swinging your sword every six seconds, it's more like you're busy parrying or finding a weak spot X times (depending on attack bonus) every round).

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.