1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

FG question. Helm during the Time of Troubles *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Abomination, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

[​IMG] I understand that Ao cast all the gods bar Helm out of the home of the gods. During this time magic was unstable and priests could not cast spells unless near their god. What of the clerics and paladins of Helm? Helm was still a god. Did his followers retain their clerical powers? Or were they too stripped away since Helm had to focus on protecting the celestial stairways?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think all magic was pretty much unreliable because Mystra was cast down as well. It was her job to make magic work properly all over the Realms. I presume this includes the priestly kind...

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think cleric's of helm were able to cast spells normally but the chance for those spells to go awray remained even in their case, but I assume Helm answered to prayers and gave spells as before.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I don't see how magic would go awry with Clerics of Helm casting spells. As far as I know Mystra has her clerics and she controls The Weave. The Weave and clerical magics are two different things (at least in R.A. Salvatore's Night Masks - Cadderly argues that they are similar yet soon proves to himself that they are not linked). Clerical magics wouldn't even work unless a priest was near their god and when they were then it wouldn't go awry (e.g. Clerics of Tymora would heal people without fear of the magic miscasting and possibly doing the opposite effect [i.e. harming the recipriant]).

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It is possible, though in the avatar trilogy the magic of the cleric's of Bane can not be exactly fully functional as the healing process of Bane after he has been defeated by Mystra in Castle Kilgrave is described as long and painful which it couldn't possibly be if the magic would work normally near Bane (and I'm quite sure that back then there were several high leveled clerics of bane in Zhentil Keep), and I tend to value the avatar trilogy a bit more in this matter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.