1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fight Club

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by herf, Aug 8, 2001.

1. herf Guest

OK its been discussed on the forum so now it's time to do it.
    Whoever wants to join Fight Club post here.
    If we get enough members quickly I'll set up a time for us all to be in the chatroom.

Until then, make up a 3rd edition character, 25pt buy. 200gp. 1st level.

When we get enough members I'll write up a chart and round one will begin. If your character dies, wait until the next championship begins, then start at round one again.
    You can use your warrior from the last championship in a new championship.
    Experience will be awarded and gold will be awarded for every fight won.

Anyone sees any faults in this then post here.
    When you roll your character send it in .cg3 form to imherf@hotmail.com with the subject heading "Fight Club"
    And dont forget to tell me who you are on the boards and what your name is on the chatroom. If your interested but still want to know more then join irc #sorcerers_nwn using the irc client on the site. My name in there is Herf and I'm usually on from 10pm-06am GMT
    If you dont have the Wizards Of The Coast Character Generator then type up your character with notepad or Word2000 including-
    all stats+mods
    feats
    spells
    skills
    name, race etc
    ac, init
    fort will ref saving throws
    etc etc

All stats must be at a minumum of 10, even fighters! This is to stop powergamers!

[This message has been edited by herf (edited August 08, 2001).]

2. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] What a discrimination!
    We, arrogant wizards, have no chance against you sweaty brutes fighters!
    Heh... Well, you see what I mean.
    Just fight head-to-head starting 5 feet apart is purely not interesting. All stats more than 10? why not just make it 19 pt. buy then? Same effect on physicals :(.

Would be good to run a dungeon campaign, with a lot of monsters on your way, but usage of skills too. This way the whole character will be important, not just his strenght score, improved initiative feat and whatever weapon he's focused on ;)

3. herf Guest

well wizards will have a chance, one spell and most level 1 fighters will be down. if you dont wanna join then dont. if you do follow the rules.

the whole point of this is to set up a type of fight club! not a "lets go fight monsters" club. the aim of this is to teach people 3rd edition and for people to have fun.

4. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Okay Herf, I want to join and have sent you my character.

Herf and I were discussing this in the chatroom and he decided that the winner of one championship will be allowed to roll a new character only with an extra 200gp and the runner up will get an extra 100gp in the next championship.

[This message has been edited by Avarahtar (edited August 08, 2001).]

5. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

If the winner, and only survivor, gets experience and extra gold to buy better armor/weapons, then how is anyone but the winner of the first "season" ever going to win?

Everyone re-creates new characters from scratch with the same restrictions on gold etc. and the winner from last season has leveled up or something. He'll kill everyone.

Just a thought.

6. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I brought up that same arguement with Herf early :) What he decided is that probably the winner of one championship has to roll up a new level one character only because he is the champion he gets to have an extra 200gp to outfit his new character with.
    We thought that this would get around the winner being to strong while still giving him a bonus for being the champion.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough on that in my previous post.

PS. I'm posting all this because Herf had to leave.

[This message has been edited by Avarahtar (edited August 08, 2001).]

7. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It would be better if you started in an arena, say about 50 ft apart. The arena should have barriers located inside to allow concealment and cover, both partial and full.

8. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Another thought... this is powergaming, its strictly combat, there won't be any role-playing invloved, so the point buy system with all scores having a minimum of 10 is rather pointless (pardon the pun, heh).

so the only reason you'd want to have a decent wisdom is to defend against certain spells as far as I can see, which at level 1 won't be much of a threat.

Why not just create your chars with STR, DEX and CON? you won't be using the intelligence, wisdom or charisma checks. (I'm sure you'll regret trying that diplomacy check to convince the half-orc barbarian from cleaving you with his ax!)

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited August 08, 2001).]

9. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Part of the problem with level 1 arena is that half orc barbarian is the natural choice. If you move up to level 5 (say) then any class is playable.

10. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Erran, I cannot disagree, that's what I actually meant in my complaint :)

Herf, you see, a first level character has 4-15 hitpoints in average. If you have a fight arena, you'll have fighters, barbarians - 10-15 hitpoints. Nobody's going to try and poke an enraged 1/2orc barbarian with a shortsword, and usage of ranged weapons is kind of limited too. So, weall go for greatsword. 2d6's just enough to kill any lvl1 character on a lucky hit (any fighter character) , and if consider modifiers.

Alright, my next offer to you is - make it Team Deathmatch, where 3-4 people go up against same number of other people. In this case, archers make sense, clerics are life-savers and wizards might whoops some arse too.

[This message has been edited by Skedaddle (edited August 08, 2001).]

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I vote for the team deathmatch idea, and keep away from the lower levels. And again if I may say so, if we keep with a 25 pt buy, how will muticlass lovers such as myself ever create a multi character? What, I can have a fighter/cleric with 12 strength and 12 wisdom? I need more points to create anything other than a half orc barabrian or fighter.

Anyway, even if you don't like that idead, here's something else to consider. If this thing goes the way you discussed it, if award the winner with 200 gp and have them reroll a level 1 character, how is that not a huge advantage? They get the masterwork sword or the full plate armor while the rest of the players are still stuck with the basic stuff. An extra 200 gp at first level is a big advantage. And if they win 2 in a row? There's no competetition from then on.

12. herf Guest

Lets just see how it goes, if any major flaws apear then we will remedy them, until then we shall leave it as it is.
    If the first championship goes well then we will have leagues for 5th level characters etc.
    And yes if we get enough characters i will definitely implement the team deathmatch idea.
    but as yet we only have 3 members.
    Me, Avarahtar, and Swanic, a newbie.

All of you saying oh this isnt gonna work, you wont know unless you try. And the guy who wanted team deathmatch, join up so we can make it a reality!

Join up everyone!

13. The Word Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Im a novice to D&D. I have played through the starter set. I have dled the generator. may I still play?

14. herf Guest

like i said, roll a 3rd generation character.
    25pt buy with at least 10 in all stats with 200gp.
    if you cant send it in cg3 file format then typ it up including feats etc and send me the file.
    imherf@hotmail.com

ok we have four members and two promised plus the Word if he decides to join.
    Seven if all goes right, not bad.
    Once we reach ten then the first round will join.
    If we get fifteen members then team deathmatch will begin.
    Also if we get fifteen members i will open a seperate thread for Fight Club level 5.
    OK by everyone?

[This message has been edited by herf (edited August 09, 2001).]

15. The Word Gems: 3/31

what does 25 pts. mean?

16. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The 25 pt buy method is a way of creating a 3rd edition D&D character. It has been outlines in the Dungeon Masters Guide. All stats begin at 8. you then can increase them using 25 points. At first when you spend one point a stat goes up one. When the stat reaches 14, the cost increases to 2 for 1, when the stat reaches 16 the cost is 3 for 1. The racial bonuses are applied after the stats are done.

17. The Word Gems: 3/31

Thanks.

uh-oh, now I need to re-send my char. ::grins sheepishly::

18. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I have joined, though my life expectancy is short indeed.

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

OK, Herf, I'm game just for fun. I'll send you a charcter in the morning. I'll send the cg3 file and a hand written write up via email. You can copy it and save to Word2000 since I don't have that program. The hand written version I think you will find more useful. I'd offer to DM, but since I'm playing, that wouldn't be very fair.

Incidently, since we are all at first level with pretty basic stats, I'd suggest creating a wizard that can fight. Just a thought as the attack bonuses won't be too different, just choose those feats wisely.

20. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

I'm gonna join, but all matches I'm in will have to take place early in the day, like at this time. I'm sending you my char now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.