1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighting golems

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by elvenmage, Apr 17, 2005.

1. elvenmage Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm in the winspear hills dungeon. And I encountered a hallway with different golems. There was an iron one and I think some clay ones. Maybe stone ones. I think all those golems are magic resistant, and my understanding is blunt weapons work against them. Does that include quarter staffs? Would Mauler's arm +2 mace that sets strength to 18 (which I have equipped on Viconia)be a good weapon to fight those golemns?
    And how do you take out the iron golem. I have Viconia, Korgan, Edwin, Jaheira, Yoshimo, and the assassin I created.
    Korgan has the battle axe +3 stone fire.
    Would fireball spells and Agannazars scorcher work on them?
    By the way are there any portraits for Edwin as a female?

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

No, spells do not work on them. The exception is this: Melfs minute missles. These little babies do 2-3 damage per hit. It may not sound like much, but if your having a hard time with iron golems, its best (perhaps cheesy, most likely tactical) to run past a small door. The golem will try to follow but it will be unable to reach your party. From there, blast it with MMM and perhaps arrows?(dont know for certain about arrows, i stick to MMM). At early levels its suicide to fight toe to toe with these things.

Im not sure if the ax will work... that is the physical damage will be resisted, but the fire damage may go through... someone will have to confirm this.

Yes, if you can get a fighter buffed up enough to last long enough against an IG, quarter staffs and any other blunt weapons should work. The staff of striking would be nice for this purpose.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The big guy is probably stuck in the doorway blocking the other smaller golems from getting to you. So take them out with a ranged weapon. If you want to use spells against them, use Pierce Magic first to reduce their magic resistance. Slow will reduce their attacks per round.
    iirc any +3 weapon should work against golems. just make sure it is a two-handed one so you are not really close to it. It is possible that the golem wont be able to reach you.

C S
    H P
    E O
    E I
    S L
    E E
    Y R

You can use the white strength spell to reduce the golems strength. This will decrease its THAC0 and damage.

4. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Only blunt weapons work on Clay golems,+2 on Stone golems and +3 on Iron golems.
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    Cast stoneskin on Edwin,go with him to hallway,step back and while Iron golem is attacking him,hack'n slash with all your party.Celestial Fury is very useful against Iron ones

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tactical insights usually don't count as spoilers. Giving away plot twists do. :)

6. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

And to address the sole remaining question, Ease of Use has a component that changes Edwin's portrait to a female one when he gets transformed.

7. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I recommend Flail of Ages +3

8. Newfie Banned

Make sure you get out of that hallway and into the bottom room so the iron golem cannot reach you. Then whack away from in there using Lilarcor and Flail of Ages. Once the iron golem falls, get ready, the other two will rush in. Make sure you have haste, bless, prayer and other buffs casted.

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If you have a cloudkill wand with lots of charges, this can be used to kill golems! Very cheesy tactic, have the bigger badder irongolem block the path, other stonies and clays will not be able to reach you! Cast cloudkills from the WAND 4-5 times and watch them die! They will take 5-50 damage each round and will die fast. But if iron golem dies before the others, the others may rush to you after the way is opened. Though they will still be heavily damaged.
    A very CHEESY tactic but it's the best! :D

10. Jechor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The weapons that I can think of that could take the golems out, specifically the iron one:
    1) Flail of the ages (if completed and done d'arnise)
    2) Warhammer +1, +3(or +4?) vs Giantkin
    3) Battleaxe +3 (also d'arnise)

Mind you, boost one or two fighters up, wielding any of those 3 weapons, with spells, armor, etc, as much as you can, and then send them in, and have a cleric just out of reach of the spells the iron golem casts, so if someone gets poisoned, dart in, cure poison, dart out.

Also, probably the best weapon in all, to take out an iron golem, unless you've got the Holy Avenger already and a paladin in your party, is if you have the collector's edition stores installed. There's an awfully nice +5 sling which doesn't require bullets.

Also, before I forget, there is also, another useful missile type weapon that can take them out from a distance, the short bow from trademeet, which again doesn't require ammunition, so as long as you don't have arrows left in your quiver, I'm pretty sure even though piercing weapons won't hurt the iron golem, the magical damage of the "phantom" arrows, most certainly will.

So, all in all, even without collector's edition, there's 4 weapons earlyish on, you can use to take out golems. Of course if you come across the adamitite, than only those two missile weapons, and the Holy Avenger will work, really. Well the FoA will, but well you don't want to get into melee with one of them :p

11. lasgalen Gems: 3/31

There is also a magic bow that you can buy in Trademeet (after completing the djinn quest), which doesn't have a string, but fires unlimited arrows. That takes down iron (adamantine?) golems. I always do that quest before the de arnise hold and windspear hills.

12. Sticker Gems: 9/31

Adamantine/iron golems are too big to for doorways and such. A cheesy way of dealing with them is to take out the smaller golems (if there are any) with ranged weapons and usinq staffs on the big ones. Since you will be out of their range they won't be able to hit you.

13. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Not sure of any ranged weapons that will kill Clay golems, but yeah, take out the Stones first (Arrows and Bullets +2 will do fine). If you relly want to use spells, you'll find that Lower Resistance will get you a better effect then Pierce Magic (I think it lowers by *casterLevel* + 10%, Pierce Magic just lowers by *casterLevel* %) If you get caught somewhere without doors, summons can soak up the damage while you pelt them with ranged attacks (Only place i can remember at the moment is in Chapter 7). One last thought, while the Flail of Ages is a good choice for any Golem, it is very good vs. Clays, as its slow effect will counteract their Haste. Oh, yes, there is are two insti-kill capable weapons for use on Golems, one is a Hammer, the other a Rod.

14. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

Crom Freyr( I spelt wrong) but I don't know about rod

15. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The rod can be bought in Ust Natha. IMO, it's a crappy one. I've tried to kill golems with it, and it was the same as killing elementals with Staff of Air or Staff of Fire - it almost never worked.

So, I switched to good old Melf's Minute Meteors.

16. elvenmage Gems: 3/31

Thanks for the advice everyone. I found the Club +3 Blackblood which I bought from Trademeet to be very helpful. it does 1D6 +3 +3 acid damage.Would the flail of ages be better even though Jaheira doesn't have prof in flail? She has sword and shield style one prof. I used the Tasheron's bow +3 for the iron golem. I think when you get within melee range of the iron golem even on other side of door it can still do damage. By the way Korgan's axe wasn't very effective. Maybe i should try the boomerang axe. What would the electrical warhammer do to the golems? Can i backstab golems succesfully with a blunt weapon such as a mace,one handed staff, or 2 handed staff?

17. Jechor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You can backstab with any weapon.

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

If you cast the 5th level cleric spell Magic Resistance on an Iron/Ademite Golem you can lower the magic resistance significantly - This is because the spell sets the MR, instead of raising it. Also MR does not prevent the casting of it and there is no save.

19. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ Jechor:

It's only possible to backstab with weapons a thief can use.

20. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Golems have no vulnerable or critical parts which a thief can identify and hit for enhanced damage. Thus they cant be backstabbed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.