1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fingerprint Technology for your Computer

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Elios, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

2. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

LOL. Yes, seems cool doesn't it? Shame that it isn't anything like secure (which MS acknowledges) and is in the end a $200 A novelty keyboard and mouse kit.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Card-reader would be much more useful since it would have some ACTUAL use. :square:

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I bet it's cracked within a month..
    Thinking security stops at the hardware, tsk..

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah, the neverending quest for security. The point of biometric technology is to ENHANCE security (by combining something that you ARE (fingerprint) with something that you KNOW (password), and even something that you HAVE (card)), not just as a way for lazy people to get around typing in their password.

I do like the tilt wheel on the mouse though.

6. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I agree with Yirimyah that this is just a novelty gadget, not really much different than having all those shortcut buttons on your keyboard. MS is just trying to make things a little easier, not more secure. Take Windows for example...

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My old MS Networking teacher used to have a little box that read his thumb print, which logged him in to Windows once the computer was up and running. I think it's a waste of money just to do what typing in a password does. It doesn't improve security at all...since it uses your thumb print AS a password, people can still get around it. :grr:

Now, at my work, they have thumb print readers to get into the "Top Secret" conference room. The company I work for apparently makes the best type of specialty dental products, and their design is kept under wraps...if you know what I mean. :eek: In that case, security is necessary, in which case, thumb print readers are a perfect option. I used it the other day just to hear the computerized voice say "Access Denied!" :shake: :rolling:

8. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Oooh, very Bond.

Shame really. I don't like to see people get jaded by premature releases of a promising technology

In re Shalladeth's comment about the shortcut buttons, it's a bit over the top isn't it? I mean, it would take me less time to get to, for example, My Documents by navigating (let alone Start Menu) than to go looking along the second-functions and shortcuts to find out how else to do it.. MS just gets carried away sometimes.

9. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

@Yirimyah - I'm sure there are folks who just love those shortcut buttons and use them...just as there are folks who use their mouse to do things that could be done much faster with a few keyboard shortcuts. :)

10. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ha! If this idea takes off, we will be hearing on the news how criminals are cutting off peoples thumbs instead of stealing their keys and passwords!

11. Ox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

yup, just like in that Arnold Schwarzzeneger movie

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Hmm, ever heard of a keylistener? why not enhance that? exactly, a fingerprintscanner-listener...

13. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

This is just another plan from the CIA to get all our fingerprints in a big database :evil:

I'll wait until they design an iris scan gadget.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.