1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fixed initial sum total preferred over rolling in 3ed?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by chevalier, Jan 30, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Or is that only Bioware's idea? I noticed people play that way sometimes, but mostly give more points to spend. 75 is ridiculous. Average rolls give more (some 80-85) and when people do ad&d tests they turn out to have about that same amount (my own is 73+STR unknown, many people have higher scores). So is this only for 'balance'?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is the standard in 3E - the standard point buy. IIRC the standard is every stat starts at 8 and you have 25 points to spend.

The difference in 3E vs. 2E is that the lower stats are better in 3E, and you gain a stat point every 4 levels in 3E, while they were unchanged in 2E.

3. chevalier

Media:
    :( I'm afraid I won't like 3ed... It's impossible to make a normal paladin with 73/75 points to spare and maybe 80 finally. It spoils the fun too. Seems all d&d games will be like that from now on... Eh, good I still have my BG2.

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

well rolling exist in 3e too. It just seems to be standard to use pt buy for upcoming crpg.

Your problem is with the games, not the system.

[ January 31, 2003, 04:39: Message edited by: Lokken ]

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't understand. Why must you have exceptional values for all stats in order to play a "normal" paladin, or even to have fun? Can you not have fun playing a role where the paladin is not almighty and unbeatable in all respects?

STR 14
    DEX 10
    INT 14
    WIS 11
    CON 10
    CHR 14

Makes a decent enough Paladin for melee in heavy armor, and if you add your first few additional points to WIS, you'll be able to cast the proper level spells by the time you're of the proper level to be eligible.

[ January 31, 2003, 05:21: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

6. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

My friend wrote a computer program which determines average stats for 4d6 drop 1, which equates to 12.5 +-.2 [bad memory] or somewhere in that region. either way that makes about 75 points for 4d6 drop 1. 48 + 25 is 73, which is pretty dang close. The only bad thing I see about point buy is that normally you aren't allowed to "sell" points, or at least DMs are hesitant because this creates min-max'ing. Where are the Dwarves with 1 charisma, or orcs with 1 intelligence?

7. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Many min-maxers don't understand the consequences of dropping stats so low. 1 intelligence is animal intelligence, you cannot speak. And an orc with one charisma would be the most repulsive, spineless creature most partys would encounter, and would find it hard to put up with him. A good DM will exploit a min-maxer to make them see what they are doing.

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Indeed. However, in CRPG's, having an INT of 1 doesn't hurt you. (Well, not alot until you come across MindFlayers anyway ;) ) That's where a lot of people come from. And yes any DM that would allow point buy will (ab)use such min/maxing to teach the person that wise lesson.

Unless you like roleplaying a stone ;)

9. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31

Actually, I have a dwarf in my campaign right now with 1 charisma. As far as looks go, he is the most hideous beast to ever ride atop stumpy legs. But he wears a suit reminiscent of Gorm Gulthyn [double weight full plate], coats himself dayly in sweet perfumes conjured by the party druid, and is Silenced before any diplomatic encounters by the party sorcerer. But when he ISN'T silent, I hold him to [and he enjoys] roleplaying the rudest, filthiest-talking, rambunctious terd known to exist. He insults everyone from commoners to little girls to priests of Helm, and gets the party often into a lot of trouble. They don't complain toooo much, because come to crunch time, he's got 22 STR and 26 CON. Tank.

10. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Ah, but now we're talking dwarves. It's in their blood to be like that. ;) I mean, a diplomatic dwarf, somehow seems a bit off. :p

"Negotiating? That'll go much better with mah axe in ye bellay!" :grin:

[ February 01, 2003, 13:44: Message edited by: Faragon ]

11. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31

I remember one scene in particular...

A cleric of Ilmater approaches the party in the inn after they have completed a quest for him, and now needs another favor.

Dwarf: "Oh, ya want ta talk, do ya? Ya nancy-fairyin' gutrag. I feel sorry for whatever mother had ta' pop ye out 'er arse. Always stumblin' about bleedin' and cryin' like a wee baby, why don't ya turn yer backside around this-a-way and I'll plunge my boot-"

Interrupted by the group paladin-

"What our foul-mouthed friend here is trying to say, I believe, is that we've done great services for the Temple of Ilmater already, and would gladly do service once more, but we are currently fatigued and need rest."

Dwarf, chiming back in, "Don't presume to speak for me, ya shiny priss. I don't need no rest, I need an ale and a wench. Bring me those things, priest, or I'll bring you closer to your god."

ME: at this time, the innkeepers daughter, a little girl around 5 years old, approaches you kindly with her father's ale cup at his direction, offering you some. She lingers, holding out her hands for a coin or two perhaps, for gratuity.

Dwarf: "I spit in her palm and give her a boot to the rump, 'Get outta here kid, yer botherin' me.'"

...praise be to W.C. Fields

[ February 02, 2003, 01:22: Message edited by: Amon-Ra ]

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Wow :)

But back to the topic: Point buy has it's advantages and disadvantages. It prevents crappy rolls, as well as very good ones.

13. chevalier

Media:
    There are some better or worse tests to determine player's own stats. Not a bad idea to allow this since one of the 'schools' prefers PCs mirroring players. I won't my pally dex 13, con 11, int 15, wis 17, cha 18. Something for strength as well when I finally have checked it. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.