1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Flashback to Age 8....

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Belisarius, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Star Wars was on TV tonight, and as usual, I got sucked into it! I love watching it - it reminds me of being a kid again! I'd go to bed every night wishing I could fly an X-Wing! Greatest thing ever!

But didja ever notice how much Luke whines in the movie? It's embarrassing!

Now, with Episode I out, and Episode II coming up...When I watch Star Wars, I see Ben Kenobi in a whole new light...He's the MAN!

Oh well, enough ramblings from me...Have a good week all!

2. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I used to think Star Wars was cool, but it got pretty boring after a while. . .

Then EP1 came along and I hoped it would restore my faith, but alas it stank . . .

EP2 better be good, RA Salvatore is writing it. I wanna see three things in EP2;

1. Jar Jar MUST Die!
    2. Jedi get slaughered by the barrel full :p
    3. Cool lightsber duels :)

3. I thought Jar Jar was pretty funny because he has the same walk and style as a guy I was in the army with. Could not stop laughing when I figured out who he reminded me about. :) :)

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Even though I'm mostly in Sir Bel's camp about Star Wars, I do agree Jar Jar MUST die. He was the worst thing about ESP I. R2D2 & CP3O were funny Jar Jar was stupid.

My mine gripe is that Star Wars is not out on DVD. That way I could watch it when ever I wanted. It not quite the same on TV.

Only about a year to ESP II, damn Lucas!

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I don't know what I love more about Star Wars. The movies or the memories. Honestly, I get a bit embarrassed when I watch them now. I'm imagining my daughter (now 5 1/2 months) watching them when she's 10 and laughing her butt off at how lame they were. To me, at age 6-12, this was better than life!

I remember when The Empire Strikes Back came out. I was fascinated by Boba Fett. I even tried to make my own Halloween costume fashioned after him (I used a 5 gallon ice-cream tub from Baskin Robins as the helmet!)

When I had my appendix taken out, my "get well" gifts included the Creature Cantina and the 12' Bobba Fett.

EPI probably did suck, and if I had watched it as a 29 year old, I may have been more critical. Fortunately, I was watching as the 10 year old who really wanted more action figures! That kind of makes it more fun!

6. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yep, Luke was pretty whiney. I guess we didn't notice it when we were kids 'cause we were the same way.

OWEN: Luke, take these two over to
    the garage, will you? I want
    you to have both of them cleaned
    up before dinner.

LUKE: But I was going into Toshi Station
    to pick up some power converters...

OWEN: You can waste time with your
    friends when your chores are
    done. Now, come on, get to it!

LUKE: Uncle Owen...

OWEN: Yeah?

LUKE: This R2 unit has a bad motivator.
    Look!

Heh, gotta hate when you have to do chores, and those motivators can be a real pain in the a$$. ;)

I thought the movies were just plain awesome. What kid wouldn't love the battle between good and evil? It seems that back then producers and directors had too work pretty hard for their shots, but now if a set or scene is too difficult, just generate it with a computer.

7. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Maybe it's just me, I thought Starship Troopers (dog that it was) had better CGI than phantom menace.

Generally, phantom menace looked like muppets in space to me. Everything bad about Jedi times ten.

8. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Mathetais, dont' worry too much about your daughter. I watch it with my (almost) 9 yr old daughter every once in a while, and she loves it nearly as much as I did. :D Must run in the family. (Although Black Beauty and National Velvet are still her current favorites, but hey, I like horse flicks too! :D Thunderhead was the best!)

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Darien - have you introduced her to "The Man from Snowy River"?!? If she's a horse fan, she'll love that one.

The down-hill run still gives me chills!

(Yuck - I just became an Ettercap Ripper. After all my time in the gym to maintatin my wolf-ish figure, posting turns me purple and gives me a pot belly!)

[This message has been edited by Mathetais (edited June 04, 2001).]

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31

Jester, I do have to agree with your "Jedi times ten" comment. I was not a big Ewok fan but compared to Jar Jar they look great. Lucas needs to be less of a sell out. Make more movies like Empire. Less cute fuzzy animals and more bad ass bounty hunters.

But Starship Troopers? Maybe I hated to so much because I like the book, and can't bare to see what they did to it. :(

11. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

i liked star wars, but the episode 1 i fell asleep during it.
    There was tooo much plot not enough action.

12. stargazer Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] The very first Star Wars movies were great. I love every minute of them. But 'Episode I' and the rest of the new trilogy are just there for the profit. I loved the idea of a prequel trilogy but when I realised it was a big commercial trick I was utterly diasppointed :(. OK I wasn't that crashed but I was hoping for sth more from George.

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31

Star Wars is one of my all-time favorites. I actually like how Luke is whiny in the beginning. Just think, common rebellious immature teenager becames hero of the universe. The character development of Luke through the three movies is impressive.

TPM was really a movie for die-hard fans only though. You have to really be into the story to appreciate the backgrounding that Lucas set up in the movie. That said though, I didn't care for the way he moved the idea of the Force from the fantasy realm to the sci fi realm (mitochondria and all that... whatever).

Incidentally, has anyone seen the Duality e-movie by the Crew of Two? It's pretty impressive... I've always wanted to see dual lightsabers in action. Check it out at theForce.net if you haven't seen it.

[This message has been edited by Capstone (edited June 05, 2001).]

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Star Wars is awesome. The space fights. The music. The light sabre duels. The Jedi counsil. The pod race. All the funny aliens.

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] The first time I saw Episode I...I was a little disappointed. The midiclorian thing and Jar Jar makes me cringe even now!

But, after viewing it a few times...It's grown on me. Especially, Anakin. I mean, he's all cute and cuddly in the movie, and it makes thinking about who he becomes that much more ominous.

So just remember: "Once you start down the Dark path, forever will it dominate your Destiny!"

16. jester1137 Gems: 5/31

hehe anakin isn't cute and cuddly....he's a muppet. even the CGI was more realistic.

Well, as far as starship troopers, the special effects where the only reason I went to see it. As soon as I heard the director of robo-cop was doing it....there was NO connection between the book and the movie what so ever.

17. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

EP1 isn't even a Star Wars film, its a fan movie, to get stupid outsiders attracted to the film, Jar Jar did work at attracting kids, hopefuly, he will die in the next film, or not be in it at least.

18. Capstone Gems: 16/31

Doh, midichlorian not mitochondria. Thank you Sir Bel. I have trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality these days. Too much gaming.

19. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The star wars series wasn't bad. Episode I sucked ass though. Those stupid fish dudes that sounded like they were imitating japanese accents and stupid Jar Jar. Euuugh.

(upon watching episode I again i've come across the conclusion that E.T. is a jedi. There was an alien that looked like him at the council, and in the E.T. movie he did that healing and moving stuff :))

20. Voltric Gems: 19/31

Septic Yogurt, alas they have already stated that Jar Jar will be in the next movie. I agree with you, having vador cut Jar Jar's head off with a lightsabor would be the greatest moment in the new movies. We can still pray.

And the comments about EPI being for hardcore fans only, well I am a hardcore fan and I think EPI was nothing compared to Emipre or a New Hope.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.