1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

For the Aussies out there

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by TrueBlueAussie, Jun 26, 2006.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I was wondering what the general opinion was from any australians here on the fiasco that is East Timor. I am a true blue Aussie and I support the East Timor government for becoming independent (something that we seriously need to do) but should we be sticking around to try and sort out a problem that should have been resolved by the government a couple of years ago? Our peacekeepers are hardly a military force that should be frontlines if things get seriously out of hand (which I sincerely hope they do not). This is mainly targeted at Aussies but if you are not an Aussie but still know what is going on in this part of the world with respects to East Timor, then be my guest to comment.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't actually have a problem with peace-keepers being in East Timor - so long as they're not supporting one faction over another. They should simply keep the peace, not support the current regime (or the rebels or anyone else for that matter).

As far as I know, this is what has happened so far (though there probably has been a bit of pro-current-government bias, as I guess they'd rather act with someone who has a claim to legitimacy). It doesn't sound like the place is going to errupt too badly anymore.

Maybe if I knew more about it I'd have more of a problem with it (I haven't followed it all that much) - but with my current level of knowledge, it doesn't seem to be a ****-up.

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It's good that Alkatiri has now resigned. He didn't have the kind of respect that Gusmao does (what with having been there all the way through the struggle for independence), and was not popular even before he sacked a large group of military personnel. And that's leaving aside the allegations that he formed and armed death squads to target his political enemies.

I have no problem at all with Aussie troops being in East Timor. I agree almost entirely with Aik - they aren't there to take sides, only to maintain order, make sure that as few people as possible are rioting, looting, burning or dying. They certainly aren't there as an occupying force as such, or as an army to back either the government or the rebels.

Without meaning to sound pessimistic, I'm not sure Timor can hold itself together or become a viable independent nation. I hope I'm wrong, but I just think that without an external enemy to combine against, tribalism and internecine feuding will splinter the nation - particularly when individuals like Gusmao (who everyone admires) leave office or pass away.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.