1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Former Lobbyist Leaves White House Post

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Former Lobbyist Leaves White House Post

In the wake of a political scandal prompted by a release of documents by GAP, a White House official has resigned. Philip A. Cooney, chief of staff for the White House Council on Environmental Quality and former lobbyist for the American Petroleum Institute, resigned yesterday, June 10, after documents illustrated that he routinely edited government climate change reports. Cooney has no scientific training.
    Before going to the White House in 2001, he was the "climate team leader" and a lobbyist at the American Petroleum Institute.

One might think scientific content in such reports should be reviewed by scientists. However, Mr. Cooney and the Whitehouse didn't mind, and somewhat unsurprising his changes tended to emphasize the uncertainty of evidence that greenhouse-gas emissions are causing global temperatures to rise ...
    :spin: :spin: :spin:

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Hmm, Petroleum lobbyist doctoring environmental documents to make the Petroleum industry look not so bad? Would would have thought that? And how does a guy with a background in the Petroleum lobby get into an Environmental Position anyway? Wouldn't you want a Scientist with environmental expertise on that position?

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Indeed. Quite frankly I would rather take a petroleum lobbyist into an important enviormental position than a greenpeace hippie. Of course if the guy goes and changes enviormental reports in order to fit his intrests then the guy is a corrupt bastard and needs to go.

4. Gnarfflinger

I wasn't suggesting some Treehugger, but someone with Environmental knowledge and no conflict of interests...

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well I was not really implying that you wanted a treehugger in the position, I was just saying that petroluem instutions and companies usually have people with enviormental knowledge, since that is pretty much required from them today when you actually can't just go and bulldoze anything that has not been build by humans. I however know nothing about the case and about the knowledge of this guy but I just don't think that the fact that the guy has a background with a petroleum lobby group is enough to mark him as incompetent. However as I said if the guy has edited the enviormental reports then that's more than enough proof to throw him out.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Considering his background, wasn't it pretty clear that he would do such a thing right from the start?

The American Petroleum Institute never made a big fuss about their open resistance against any form of environmental laws.

Now that he leaves he has pretty much accomplished his mission - to at least delay inconvenient legistlation for 6 or so years.

7. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There are two options, really; rejoice because someone who is obviously in a position of power only to fulfill the desires of his bosses (in this case, the petroleum industry) is now gone.... or weep because he's just one of an untold number, doing untold damage. I suppose I'd be beating a kind of dead horse if I were to point out that our president is more or less exactly the same thing.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    Yeah, Cooney is just another pro-industry technocrat who became pro-industry technocrat because that's where all the money is. When you're good at what you do, there isn't much prestige and money to earn being an environmetalist.

That is, probably Cooney is replaced by another one of his ilk, who has the advantage of being less known.

What always strikes me though, is the chuzpah with which the Bush crew mans their positions, and implements their policies - and worse, that no one on Bush's side is lifting even an eyebrow, pointing out something might not be all that right here.

Latest in a row of weird incidents: The tobacco industry, one of Bush's largest campaign donors got their sweetheart gift - when the Justice Department reduced its request for damages in a racketeering trial that the government had already won from $130 billion to $10 billion to finance a national anti-smoking campaign over the next 25 years. That's a likely savings of $120 billion. Billion, not million.

Top Justice Department politicos even asked that its own witnesses soft-peddle their testimony so as not to move the judge to impose the larger fine anyway.

:banana: :banana: It's great doing business when you own the place, you go and write your own laws ... :banana: :banana:

9. Gnarfflinger

Well, maybe there should be rules on what industries are simply not allowed to contribute to campaigns. Not that it will ever happen as long as politicians need money to campaign, mind you. Maybe that's where the Judges need to step in...

10. Ragusa

Media:
    maybe, eh?

11. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That whole call for 'campaign finance reform' that we need that no politician will ever touch with a dead salmon... "You mean you want us to support a bill that 'restricts' how we use money? Ooooooh... we'll get back to you on that." Very similiar to the 'universal health care system' that would mean that sick people would get treated when they needed to... and that would make insurance companies obsolete. "Ooooohh...."

12. Gnarfflinger

That's the problem. Politicians don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. Judges are under no such constraint that I'm aware of. They need to determine what's considered fair and what's out of line. And not let Petroleum/Tobacco/Insurance companies don't get the chance to buy political support...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.