1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

France Avoids Fate

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shralp, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

2. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Shralp, are you sure they are not just saying thankyou to the USA for saving mainland Europe. Let's face it, Britain couldn't have liberated Europe on her own but with the USA backing it we drove those evil Nazi fu**s back to Berlin. Why not pay tribute, the USA deserves it. I don't think the French WW2 veterans care about politics. But the French are still gits becasue they won't buy British beef. There's been a program on over here about America preparing and fighting in WW2. It's amazing how they pulled themsleves out of that awful Deppression to frm the strongest army in the world. The troops were rubbish at first but after some first hand combat in Africa they were ready for the big one. Though the persecution of the Japanese-Americans was horrid. :yot:

[ August 12, 2002, 14:37: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

3. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

I doubt you know the first thing about the conditions of Japanese-Americans during WW2.

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Wow shralp, i'm not trying to start anything. I'm not going to moan about it as the Americans did to many great things during the war period to worry about it. I only know what i saw on TV. People were distrusting of them because of the war with Japan and so were made to live in camps for a brief while. Conditions in the camps were good and there was medical care and they were fed good food. I just don't like it how they were made to move out of their homes like that, i guess it was for national security, maybe even for their own safety. The only bad thing was that they never had heating. Persecution was not really the rigt word i guess.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Z-Layrex, what you just said about the internment camps in the USA is not entirely true. Yes, people mistrusted them, as they mistrust the Arabs now. Our government moved them into camps with armed guards so that riots would not kill them. The government was simply protecting it's people from their own prejudice.

It's nice to see somebody finally give credit to the United States.

6. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm very glad Germany lost WW2. But i don't understand the whole case. About english peoples resentments against french people? About which country was "best" in WW2? :confused:
    For my sake french veterans can make meetings with american veterans as often as they like. Maybe it's fun to talk about the old days.

[ August 12, 2002, 17:07: Message edited by: Oblate ]

7. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

We just don't like it how they surrender as soon as it looks like they're going to be defeated. But i suppose with an massive evil nazi war machine tromping through your country you don't really stand much of a chance. Damn Facists.

8. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You're right, they tried their best. And some were collaborateurs but there was also the resistance. And my "elders" try to take their land. So that explains why the french could have resentments against germans. But that's not the case.
    Z your not the only britain that don't likes the french. But i really don't know why.

9. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Rastor, I try to stay away from this phrase, but I must use it now: YOU ARE WRONG.

The US government ripped the Japanese-Americans out of their homes, neighborhoods, and without their permission, placed them in lockdown facilites known as internment camps. The Japanese-Americans were not treated cruelly while imprisoned, and while part of this might have been for their own protection, unfortunately, much of the government and US population began to distrust Japanese-Americans. Some even went as far as to say they were giving coordinates to help the Japanese for their next strike on American soil.

By the way, those families of internment prisoners were later awarded $10,000 tax-free from the US government. I think you now know why...

10. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Oblate, Britishh people are actually more rough around the edges with Germans than French for obvious reasons. I'm not and whenever someone i know says something bad about the current German people i try to make them see that it was before their time and Germany is no longer evil.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Z Z Z I know that it is a common view that France surrenders as soon as they see a german army at their doorsteps and it annoys me very much. Firstly if you look through history its pretty much a tie between France and Germany when war is considered. Secondly one thing I have just found out is that France built a very strong defence line to be able to withstand a german assault (I think it was called the Malignotn line or something) but when they asked Belgium to fortify their borders they refused due to now wanting to offend Germany, France hadnt the time to fortify their border to Belgium as well and therefore Germnay could just wander through Belgium into France...

And if someone deserves recognition for WW2 and hasnt gotten it is the russians, in my opinion their effort in WW2 is sadly neglected by the west and atleast as descisive as Normandy.

12. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I'd just like to remind all those who enjoy bashing France as an everlasting militarily weak nation to look at its history circa 1800-1815... Greater France at the high of its power was about as Greater Germany circa 1942.

The French (technically Normans at the time) so far have been the only people to ever conquer Britain in it's entirety.

They were also rather effective during the many wars of religion during the late middle ages and renaissance, not to mention were a decisive factor in the outcome of the American Revolutionary War.

I'd recommend, before bashing poor France, to do some research first, or at least specify that you're only referring to its military history within the last century, in which case you're about right. :D

[ August 13, 2002, 05:58: Message edited by: Sir Beverage, formerly Alex ]

13. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

I'm kinda curious as to what set up the poor feelings between US and France to begin with. France loved the US during revolutionary times, they saw it as a beacon of hope after their own disastrous attempts at a fair government. Hence the whole Statue of Liberty gift, and whatever it was the US gave back...I wanna say it's in or on some river in France. What happened?

14. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

France started selling high-tech weapons to rogue states, sheltering terrorists and other criminals by refusing to extradite them to countries where they were wanted, and eating snails.

15. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Getting an extridition from them is easy so long as we promise not execute them.

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    France sheltering terrorists ... you must either refer to the 15 million north african arabs in France ... or to Carlos? Yeah, they are sheltering him in a high security prison and kidnapped him from Sudan to protect him from the firece law enforcement there ... :rolleyes:

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Deviant Mage,
    True, France did like the US at one point. I believe they helped us (during the revolution) to piss off England.

18. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Heh.

No, Ragusa. I'm talking about al Queda suspects. They were initially refusing to hand over Zacaraias Moussai as well.

19. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

France did provide assistance and money to the American colonies during the revolution. Ben Franklin was quite the hit on the continent at the time. But if I remember my US history correctly, during the Civil War France took sides with the Confederates against the Union. I don't remember what the reasoning was at the time though.

Just a little side reference though for Joacqin. This article appeared in the Telegraph several months ago. The Russian contribution isn't the only one that often gets neglected :) Although Canadian vets, like the US vets mentioned above, often receive a heroes welcome in France and other places for their efforts in WWI and WWII.

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

SlimShogun, how is that different than what I said? Okay, I left out the part that they were taken from their homes? The reason I gave for the camps and the reason you gave were the same. I simply gave a much more concise reason than you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.