1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Freedom impending!!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shura, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] WOOHOO!

Only slightly more than 7 months to go before I'm discharged from the army!

Then I can spam on these boards like I used to.

:evil:

Poor Arkados Blackmire: he still has more than 2 years of slavery left...

:evil:

2. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] Congratulations Shura :thumb:

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sweet dude, and I thought that my 10 months of military duty sucked. I hope you arent terminally injured by the enforced slavery. :)

4. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Congrats. I aren't so lucky. I have 6 YEARS before freedom. Blah.

Ezellohar takes out Crom and whacks Britney and Arwen, who are constantly nagging in her mind

Arwen must die. Painfully.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Congratulations Shura and anyone else too :thumb:

6. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Heh heh. We lucky/lazy Britts don't have to do forced service. ;) :p

7. MrGrouch Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't know what country you are from, but is duty in the Armed Forces mandatory or voluntary?

If it is voluntary, then why did you join if you feel it is slavery?

If it is mandatory, congratulations!

8. Pix Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

7 months? damn.

i can sit my ass in a chair and spam all day long.

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

[Not on this board you can't. So you'd better stop while you're ahead.] -Tal

[ December 30, 2002, 10:18: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

7 months ... me and the other paladins had better get our act straight. The last thing we need is another massacre like we had last year! :eek: ;)

Anyone got a cloak of protection from Shura? Some little enchantment making me impervious to his blades, and maybe turning any damage he would have done to me back onto himself ;)

Looking forward to having you back S!

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Wow. Seven months seems like an eternity to me - especially if I were in the army. Two years is even worse. Well, I'm sure everyone anticipates your eventual return to SP. But don't you dare desert - those Inevitables* will hunt you down. ;) :p

(* Find out about Inevitables and support SP )

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Congrats to all leaving the armed forces!

12. Shura Gems: 25/31

I've already bought the Players Handbook, the DM guide, the Monster Manual, the Epic Handbook, Oriental Adventures and a couple of those supplements like Sword and Fist, etc...
    Don't worry C'Jakob!

Eze...I would feel less disturbed if you weren't so young saying such things...but each to their own, eh? Heh heh heh. Shouldn't the paladins have on these boards been all over you by now?

Singapore enforces compulsory military service, so it's slavery to me. I've seen combat exercises in Taiwan, Thailand and Australia, not to mention the gazzillion mock battles my battalion has underwent in the swampy hell of the Singaporean vegetation.

Seven months, and counting down!

Arkados will become a sergeant within a few months time, thereby outranking me, but I'll be a civilian by then!

AHahaha...can't help the jublilation.
    I'll post another topic like this when I'm finally free.

Thanks, guys.

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Ho, ho I guess i'm the lucky one :D

From what i've heard i wont be joining the army at all :cool: Unless i want to ofcourse :confused:

14. Jorgon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Jeez. Compulsory military service. It can be a good idea, but for a little country like Singapore it makes very little sense. Israel and Swtizerland have compulsory service as well. Good luck. Hope World War 3 waits until you're out. :D :eek:

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Most Americans I know could use a little discipline and physical training in their lives ... not such a bad idea if you ask me!

16. Shura Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] Let me tell you, Mat, that the only thing the Singapore Army offers is a crash course in supreme stupidity, hypocrisy, selfishness, bootlicking and inefficiency.

Once, a trooper died from my battalion died from meningitis. When the Commanding Officer ( the CO) addressed the rest of us about it, his entire speech was underlaid with 'it's his own fault' tones. It was especially sickening when you hear how many times he said what a 'good, disciplined and obedient' soldier he was. In times of operations and exercises, my duties comprise of keeping the b@stard in contact with the rest of his soldiers via signal equipment. Hence, I know exactly what an unbelievable b@stard he is. Hypocrisy, check.

The Signal Warrant Officer of my battalion, one of my direct superiors, is an army regular. That is, the moron chose to sign on with the army out of his own free will. That relegates him to the same category as a rapist of sheep in my eyes. As a regular, his career is at stake when it concerns his performance. The b@stard never hesitates to utilise his subordinates(that includes me) as expendable resources in the way of scapegoats, filling in of duties outside our job scope as signalers or random punishment just to show his superiors what a tough commander he is. Hypocrisy, selfishness, bootlicking and stupidity, check.

When there is work to be done, a gajillion regulations that make utterly no sense come crashing down onto the heads of the workers. To move a single wooden crate ten metres, we must first observe the guidelines 6, 9 and 1. They say that we must temporarily suspend our brains and act like fools. Inefficiency, check.

The Singapore Armed Forces are nothing more than a pathetic bunch of clowns that want desperately to believe they are deadly badasses. They have the combat capacity of a wet sponge for all I see.

Singapore Commandos, yes, they're tough. Any Middle East terrorist could beat the hell out of one battalion of them with his hands tied behind his back and one foot nailed to the floor. Even if the Commandos were fully armed and the terrorist was not.

Air Force, yes, the planes are modern and well kept. But it's gonna be outnumbered 999999999999999 to 1 against any enemy at all. Dogfight 500 missiles against one plane, flyboy.

Navy? Yes...nice ships...nice subs...nice torpedos and guns...notice how they have the same flaw as the Air Force? You're outnumbered 9999999999999999 to 1, sailor boy. Kiss your ass goodbye as you sink.

Infantry? Big joke. Tanks and armored vehicles? What a laugh. Artillery? Wimps that try to compensate for their little pricks with huge long metallic ones that discharge buggerall and rust.
    Missile silos and nuclear weapons? Whoops. What missiles? This is Singapore, the land of the unknowing morons. No missiles here, no siree. We'll just hope that the invaders come at us one thousandth of their total force at a time and fight us weapon to weapon with their better trained, more professional soldiers against our civilian wanna-bes.

My country really deserves international terrorism on a grand scale. Wiping out half the population might be good. It won't wake them up or make them smaller, but it'll raise the world average intelligence levels and lower the world hypocrisy. By the way, don't ever think that the smiling, charming Singaporean you meet is sincere. 9 out of 10 times, he/she is scheming how best you can be scammed/exploited. I know: I'm one of them. And they can get so self righteous and loud in proclaiming their perch above the moral high ground.
    Osama has more compassion and sincerity than the average Singaporean.

My stand: Singaporeans=95% scum that you'll be better off leaving to die by a road side if you come across them half dead in a ditch somewhere. Soliders=pieces of sh1t. ( I'm a conscript. A soldier is one who signs on voluntarily.)

I'm fond of saying this to piss my officers off: Before National Service, I was indifferent to the sovereignity and security of my country. After National Service, the indifference has become enmity and hatred.

Singapore must fall! Or at least undergo genetic cleansing. Please, terrorists, get your act together and succeed at least once in your attacks. Kill the cattle!

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Shura, are you PMSing?

18. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

AMaster:Shura is a guy. :)

Eze laughs quietly about her disturbed mind

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Shura; you forgot to mention the military police . You know: those backstabbing ba*****s that should enforce the military disclipine. Oh, sorry; it must be the only talented section of the army. As to the rest, well; several countries could use some bio-terrorism :eek: , if only to regulate the birth-rate (where politics have failed thus far)...

Perhaps I should just specialize to bio-genetics... J/K! :p

[ December 31, 2002, 11:46: Message edited by: Virne ]

20. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Haha! Shura, I so feel compassion for you, I really do.

The problem of being against professionals and outnumbered is exactly the problem we have here in Finland as well. And the hypocricy and incredibly child-like propaganda as well. Finnish army freely admits (without officially giving names of course) that our only potential enemy is Russia. And Russia has soldiers over five times the amount of people we have in our country. Not to mention just our mere military.

We have a couple of hornets, about to get some transportation helicopters, a few tanks (by some and few I mean like from 10 to 50 in all, those 50yrs-old things included) and a pitiful excuse of a short-range artillery. Every one of our soldiers have actual military combat training about 6 months which includes the lame survival techniques (which I never saw during my 9 months or anti-armor / militarypolice service), and then added to that some leadership training for those more or less volounteered for the job.

But it's not the fact that we can't even make the Russians notice us with our defences that annoys me. For that much is obvious that some form of defence there has to be. What gets to me is the style in which this training is applied to us. To treat highly educated people like they were idiots, giving us such a lame excuse of a propaganda that anyone can see through it. Giving us tactical lessons with no reasons applied to tell us why to do so (when you KNOW there is a better way). And always making sure we know to be hated, that we are to be fighting for a country that treats us like crud. Everything from basic sosiological treatment and behaviour to supporting injured comrades and those simply too weak to go on, or having difficulties in civilian life is handled with great care. Meaning, whenever it is possible to undermine someone, to beat him down mentally, to embarrass him publically and NOT get caught of doing something illegal or against the regulations, it is done. Numerous high-grade military officials were clearly unable of normal human social behaviour. Teamwork was encouraged, just that they gave you no team. Team equaled: "everyone for your own ass, and if you screw up, we'll make damn sure the rest will pay so they'll save our job and make you suffer all the more". Of course our army was nothing compared to the worst sort. Only one soldier got killed due to brain infection of somekind (Meningokok-B bacteria in Finnish, dunno what it is in English). And even though my roommate had to get serious treatment due to lungfever and 2 of my cabinmates (sp?) had to go around for months with hairbonefractures due to inadequate rest, it was still obvious that even being like going to less than middle-ages in the standard of living, it could have been a LOT worse. Besides I know that my company had an extraordinarily difficult time, compared to every other of my RL friends, save the one who went for the harderst training attainable... and at least in his case they did remember to bring out the importance of TEAM and FRIENDSHIP in it all. So I don't assume that it's like this everywhere in Finland. And of course there were some fun times there as well, better remembered now afterwards. Still, I can pretty much guarantee I'm gonna slaughter a good number of my countrymen were I being taken to war. For even the numerous investigations we had proved well the fact that our "training of dicipline" went over board far too often.

The thing I remember best: During my 7 months of being a militarypolice, we had several times where we had to do punishment rounds on patrol duty, had to sleep outside in a tent even though we had our guardhouse, had to wake up every night of the week to do emergency trainings, had to do guard-duty / shooting excercices with live bullets when not given the minimum 6h of sleep for half a week.. and much more. Right in the end, during the last month or 2, the chief of the security told us that security officials had NO right by law to offer punishment to us, only report our flaws further. And doing emergency alerts for "training" purposes more than once a week was strictly forbidden. During this time one of our security officials got kicked out due to investigations that proved he had "playfully" threatened one of our sergeants with a loaded gun. Another, the one who was responsible for most of those extra guard rounds, night wake-ups, and other forms of unique and special little punishments was rewarded for our numerous multiple-witness reports when he applied to the police-school and got in a year after I left the army.

This is what I base my vast hate on. Or not hate, rather pity and disappointment. The hate I will save for when I need to act against this organization.

[ December 31, 2002, 13:20: Message edited by: Forashi ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.