1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Freeing up space

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Cúchulainn, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have a few queries/questons:

1. My 'disk cleanup' will not complete - any suggestions. It just gets to 3% and does nothing for hours

2. My defrag completes but mentions that no files have been defraged. Is this normal, I would have thought at least some would be moved etc.

3. Getting rid of (stored) images from webpages - is there a quick way to do this as I have to 'right click on Start Button and explore all users etc and manually remove them'. 'Delete cookies', 'Delete files' from internet options does not completely clear everything.

Edit

I am using XP SP2 and the latest version of IE.

2. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

1.) you may try it in safe mode (press F8 at boot- up). also remember never to use the 'compress old files' option

2.) what does defrag say when you check if the drive needs defragmentation ?

3.) remember to check the "also delete offline-files" box in the 'delete files' menu - then everthing should be fine

3. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

If you need space hard, reinstall your operating system. Save important data before and format the drive. Somehow - magically - there always seems to be excessive space thereafter (well, that's true in my case at least).

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, there are loads of shareware utilities out there that can help you clear up all that crap that clutters up your hard drive but I can't think of any off-hand. Try www.tudogs.com and look in the "Windows" section.

5. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

In response to part 1... i had the same problem, Win XP SP 2, it jamming in the begginning of cleanup everytime (think it was on 'compressed files' or somesuch thing. I've tried leaving it there for days, but it wont do anything but bog down the computer. Anyway, its not a storybook outcome. I tried everything i could for nearly half a day, and when it still kept it up i decided it was time for the annual format. It hasnt happened again since then, and i still have XP SP 2, so i assume its one of those, 'rare but quasi-fatal' bugs. 'Course seeing as how its not a critical program its no big deal, but these little things just irritate the hell outta me so i jumped to the crush-kill-destroy solution.

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I use this: http://www.ccleaner.com/

It's pretty good, and it will be a solution to all 3 of your problems, hopefully. It's free, too. :)

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Thanks everybody, its greatly apreciated. In regards to Nightwood I get the 'Defrag complete message'

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.