1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Funding Terrorism/Double Standards in Terrorism

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Cúchulainn, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So freezing assets has been common place in the US from Islamic charities to direct funding to the Talaban but I wondered about N.O.R.A.I.D, a quick search on the BBC archives came up with the following:

Taken long enough didn't it? Its also good to know that a person that commits petty theft cannot enter the US as they are a 'bad guy' but the head of Sinn Fein can!

I guess he did not hear of the Omagh bombing or the bombing of Enniskillen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1563119.stm

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1562217.stm

Exactly as this is where most of the funding comes from. I wonder if the Americans would be as forgiving of us if we had funded al-Qaeda? Probably not.

If you want to see how N.O.R.A.I.D funds are used then click on the link below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/871510.stm

2 of the victims were Spanish exchange students and 2 unborn twins.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk_politics/2001/conferences_2001/conservatives/1591204.stm

and finally

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4242607.stm

This is not an anti-American post, American citizens still flock to Ireland for holidays each year and are still very welcome. There are no bitter feelings whatsoever. After 11th September my towns local firestation had raised funds for the NewYork firefighters, but I felt the need to bring this to peoples attention.

http://www.nireland.com/lisburnfirestation/new_york_tribute.htm

[ February 08, 2005, 12:30: Message edited by: Cesard ]

2. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Oh it's very simple.

Irish= White, English-speaking, developed country, Christian.

Iraqi= Not.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Plus, I suppose there are more Irish than Iraqi in the US. Just an idea though

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

What gets me angry is how N.Ireland has supported America through its troubles (from the cival war right up to Iraq) but an organisation such as NORAID is allowed to keep funding terrorist organisations without question?

Relatives of 11th September are planning on sueing the Saudi Government but the victims of terrorists here cannot sue the US based organisations?

The N.Irish are not stupid and one day we will not be here to help/give sympathy.

5. Ox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@Cesard,
    don't get angry, get even. NORAID should be sued and everyone who supports it. NI ought to bring suit in an apropriate court.

And the warmonger known as Rummesfield is delaying a trip to Germany, because there is now a small question, as to if Rummesfield could be arrested for war crimes. Seems someone has put a complaint against this guy in the international court; and Germany in known to enforce international court arrest warrents. I got that off of MSNBC but I couldn't find that link again...

Anyway, it will be up to the world at large to help keep America honest. I hope someone in NI does sue NORAID because they have done/are doing now what is illeagel for many others. Also America is known for its passion of only enforcing its laws on selected persons, groups, or bussiness's (countries too)

Go get 'um tiger

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I read that on the BBC Ox about Rummie. It would be very interesting if he went to Germany!

Thanks for your comments also, its good to know that people care.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Cesard
    A quick glance over all the links you provided doesn't tell me what NORAID is, nor does it tell me (aside from one sentence from a politician) that NORAID supports terrorist activities. I am not disputing your portrayal of the organization--I have no information, so I can't comment.

I'd like to have more information, is all. And I'm too lazy to google for it. ;)

@Yirm, Shaman...
    Do you truly believe that? You made me laugh, but...

America is known for? So it's purely an American trait, or at the very least is more pronounced in America than elsewhere in the world, then?

Convince me.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Ok I will provide more information when I get home from work. I would get in trouble for having political websites in my work computer.

Other dangerous groups that support terrorism over there include but are not limited to 'Friend of Armagh' and 'Friends of Sinn Fein'.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    People will always support their friends and family (even extended family overseas).

Isn't Sinn Fein rumored to still be the political arm of the IRA? Sinn Fein has done a good job of showing the world they are no longer directly associated with terrorism. Still, I was quite surprised when Sinn Fein was pulled from THE LIST when the IRA is still on it -- those type of ties are very difficult to break.

Unfortunately, most American's are also somewhat ignorant of the issue (and donate without knowing it).

Important Drinking-in-an-Irish-Pub Note: When you put money in the bowl on the bar labeled "give a buck for the boys in the band" you're not supporting the poor saps on stage. That money's going straight to the IRA.

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Yes Sinn Fein is the political wing of the IRA. I do believe that the majority of Americans are not aware of what harm their charity can bring to these shores
    (though groups like NORAID and Friends of Armagh know damn well where its going to). I just blame the Bush administration for failing to tackle this problem - "We're concentrating on the middle eastern terrorism at the moment"

AMaster - I cannot find an official website for the moment but I will check through my books and provide references.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can't really blame Bush for this (or even his father) -- support of the IRA has been an issue since the 60's, perhaps even longer. It's very difficult to stop something that has been occuring "under the table" for that long (maybe generations...).

Edit: But I agree that it's wrong and should be addressed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.