1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gah! Found a bug really quick

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Acragas, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Acragas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well, after excitedly getting Icewind Dale 2 on its first day out, I install it, spend a lot of time creating a party, then when i try to start a game, it crashes to desktop. This has now happened twice! I can start a game with one of the pre-made parties, but not with the party I actually want to play with.

I should know better than to buy a game on its first day, but dangit, I really wanted this game. Instead I just pay more for it and I get to find all the bugs.

Sorry, ranting over. Guess I'll just sit back and wait for the patch. :mad:

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Is there no patch out yet? :confused:
    I mean NWN got it's first patch (of many) on the very day it was released. :p

3. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

Check the IWD2 trouble shooting forum at blackisle, I think this has happened to a few people.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Don't wait for the patch but instead post specs of your PC (OS, gfx card, sound card).

[EDIT]
    Please post what was suggested to you by BloodLust to overcome that bug.

[ August 29, 2002, 22:10: Message edited by: Extremist ]

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I agree - tell us more about your comp. Your comp crashing when running IWD-2 does not necessarily mean that the game is faulty or buggy. There are plenty of other possible reasons.

And anyway, how about a re-install? Just takes some 30 min and usually cures the worst mistakes made by messing up a program (no pun intended, but that can happen). Reinstall rocks :cool: I love it :cool:

[ August 29, 2002, 22:12: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

6. Acragas Gems: 1/31

7. deBhaal Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Only problem I had with mine when I got it, yes I got it the night it came to the store here. Was it crashed to the desktop when I didnt let it complete the little movie thing. What can I say, I was impatient :D

And, when I actually started playing, I found my computer is a little too slow to play it, so I installed it on my moms computer, and only thing I have wrong now, is a little lag when I tell them to move somewhere.

The game is as good as it was hyped, for the most part, it takes abit to get used to how they do the Feats, and how they work, and all that, but you can assimilate quickly.

8. Acragas Gems: 1/31

Darren Monahan just tacked up this little nugget on the Black Isle board:

"We may release a beta patch real soon to see if that helps you. Please stay tuned - we're testing now."

Good news indeed :)

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

My god.

You'd think they would have caught this on beta testing, as obvious as it is. Just another good reason to not have standardized equipment when you're coding a game.

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Look, I've seen those posts and these are things you're ought to do if IWD2 is "malfunctioning":
    • reinstallation may help
    • update drivers for both graphics and sound card
    • if your graphic card is ATI, try with lower resolution or downgrade drivers - yes, you read it correctly: DOWNGRADE! (edit: for example Win2K/ATI Radeon8500 with driver version 6071 seems to work perfectly, but on the other hand 6118 Catalyst locks up the game! On Win98SE you should try with old 9016s driver)
    • if you're using Voodoo2 (or later) perhaps you should try with installing demo of 3rd party GL driver downloadable here: http://www.wicked3d.com/products/wickedgl/default.htm
    • try with disabling EAX
    • run dxdiag (start->run) and in Sound Tab lower the Hardware Sound Acceleration
    • if you get flickering on the screen, or your game crashes on creation screen or by starting the game and you're using powerVR based card (for example Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64MB, VideoLogic Vivid!XS or PowerVR Series 3), BIS already made a beta patch for that:
      http://icewind2.blackisle.com/patchv2_01.html
      (edit: this thread starter has a similar problem, but he uses Leadtek GeForce 3 TI 200 and in his case the beta patch works too! However some other people with exactly the same card experienced disappearing of NPCs within the game in multiplayer mode - if you sleep?!?! One thing more, the beta patch doesn't solve crashing with Msi Geforce4 Ti 4600!)
    • if you have anti-virus software running in background, try with disabling it before starting the game
    • assign the IP adress by yourself (find it in the Network Properties) if you get "cannot connect to the game session" on IPX and TCP/IP while trying to establish a multiplayer game
    • characters "stutter" should be fixed by setting the Path Search Nodes to 32 000, unless it's caused by a sound card in case which you should try with this (confirmed that works with lag after applying HoW patch and that in BG2 such stutter can be fixed by setting both audio and voice performance settings to basic acceleration on Windows ME/Soundblaster Live Value):
      1. In control panel open "sound and multimedia properties"
      2. In Audio/Advanced/Performance move the slider left to standard acceleration
      3. Click on voice and change your prefered device to "game compatible device". After that click on advanced, then performance tabs. Move slider to the left to standard acceleration. The acceleration level on the "game compatible device" will revert to full acceleration each time you restart your computer.
    • if that with sound doesn't help, perhaps you only need to increase the "frame rate", in fact AI updates per second (for example from 30 to 35)
    • your map freezes? try with running IWD2 setup and lower the specs (for example: from default 600 lower it to 400 Mhz)
    • nothing helped, your right-click on an item crashes the game... try with lowering color depth on 16
    • "old but gold" Infinity Engine cure - perhaps you should empty the contents in IWD2 subfolders:
      temp
      tempsave
      cache
    • Your installation was broken and now you can't reinstall or uninstall IWD2:
      -Click on the Windows Start button, select Run...
      -Click on Browse and navigate the folders till you get to the Icewind Dale II CD (e.g. D:bad:).
      -Select the setup.exe program and click on Open. This should bring you back to the Run window with the setup.exe program shown in the Open: entry. At the end of this, type in -CleanRegistry.
      e.g.
      D:bad:Setup.exe -CleanRegistry
      Click on OK. This will run the IWD2 installer to clean up the registry entries for IWD2.
    That's it for now. If you want I may rewrite this with all links and stuff as a new thread.

[ September 02, 2002, 19:44: Message edited by: Extremist ]

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Great stuff Ex, I'm sure the people having trouble with it will be grateful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.