1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Galloway has gone too far this time

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Barmy Army, May 29, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I really think he should be locked up for his latest outburst. How can an MP say something like this. They have responsibilities. If some Muslim cleric in a Mosque somewhere in England had said this they would have definately been arrested. It's even worse when you consider who his constituents are. I dont care how he tries & spins it, there is no justification for his mouthing off.

Link to the story on the BBC here... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5020222.stm

[ May 29, 2006, 13:18: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh well, he's been playing with fire long enough, he's had to get burned eventually. When I heard what he's said my first thought was that for a politician to say something like that, they must have truly taken leave of their senses.

Sure, technically he can spin it around so as to not make it a direct call for assassination, but he's crossed the line by merely suggesting it in any shape or form.

On the other hand, quotes like "No politician, ever, by act, word, or deed should give any support to the notion that violence might be justified." found in the article are so hypocritical and untrue to life that it makes me wonder if the people who've made them live in Peter Pan's land. Especially given the context of the Iraq war.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If he's just saying that he can see the other side of the issue (which is what is sounds like with the saying how he could see suicide bombings being morally justified to those doing them) - well, there's not much problem with that, and this article (not to mention his political opponents that it mentions...) seems to be distorting things a bit.

But meh - whatever...

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I see nothing wrong with his position. It's a perfectly logically correct position, even if it might be the equilevant of a political suicide.

Of course, never should one let what's morally justified to get in the way of doing what's right.

5. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

He was asked questions, and he answered them, so whats the problem?

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with Aik - it probably isn't criminal if he was simply saying that he can see both sides of the issue. However, it was incredibly stupid of him to say such a thing. Though I wish at times it were, to my knowledge incredible stupidity is not a chargable offense.

[ May 30, 2006, 18:47: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, if a couple of weeks later someone knifes Blair to death and claims in his defence that he was only acting on what Galloway has said, it'd be quite a bit of a problem.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, if all he's saying is that he can see both sides of the issue - why is this stupid? It sounds like a pretty smart thing to me - it's just that people aren't listening to what he's actually saying, but deciding what it is he said for themselves.

So if someone knifes Blair to death, it's not his fault (it *will* be his problem, but it shouldn't be), but rather the fault of the people who slanted what he said to support their political position (or just misinterpreted, but seeing where the citicism is coming from...)

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Aik - you answered your own question. It is stupid because 1.) it is considered inflammatory speech, 2.) his opponents will slant this message to thier political advantage, and 3.) it will be be his problem if someone gives Blair a dirt nap. While I agree with you that he wasn't actually encouraging someone to kill Blair, ignoring the realities at play here is naive.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.