1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game crashes when I exit the Mortuary

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Miraz, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Miraz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Whenever I try to exit the Mortuary by any means (either the front door or the blue portal in the top section of the map) the game freezes completely, and I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del my way out. I don't even get a load screen, it just immediately freezes.

I have the 4 disc version and I have all the patches, and I'm running Windows XP (with SP2 installed) if that helps.

I've read that there's a solution to this problem, by switching your CD-ROM drive into "No Read Ahead" mode, but there's no option to do that in Windows XP. Anyone have any way of preventing this error in Windows XP?

[ July 10, 2006, 18:40: Message edited by: Miraz ]

2. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No idea about that, but try to just walk out the front door ?

3. Miraz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I forgot to edit the post ... I tried walking out the front door too (after I figured out you could do that). The same thing happens, a complete lock up. It appears that I can't exit the Mortuary at all.

I saw on the Interplay website (or what's left of it) about the "no read ahead" solution (Q: I am getting a runtime error or the game is just crashing when loading a new area). But I can't do it in Windows XP.

Anyone encountered any similar problem in XP and know how to fix it?

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Have you tried to do a full install? This may solve the problem if you're having trouble reading from the CD drive.

You need to copy the contents of CDs 2, 3 and 4 to a folder on your harddisk (for example, C:bad:Torment\CDs. Some of the files are the same, so you will be asked if you want to overwrite the files. You can say Yes or No, it doesn't matter.

Then edit the [Alias] section in the file Torment.ini in the Torment program directory to read:

CD1:=D:bad:CD1\
    CD2:=C:bad:torment\CDs
    CD3:=C:bad:torment\CDs
    CD4:=C:bad:torment\CDs
    CD5:=D:bad:CD5\

(You'll still need to have CD 2 in the CD directory when playing, this is to prevent piracy. But the program will be looking for new areas on the harddisk, so there'll be much less reading from the CD.)

EDIT: Sorcerer's also has instructions on how to do a full install:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/planescape_probsolve.php

5. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Well, I also have the 4 CD version and for me, the trouble started after installing the patches...it was all cursor/mouse related, though, so it's probably something different with you. You could always try uninstalling and installing again, I guess. ;)

6. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Sometimes DX and/or hardware acceleration also cause problems. I can't recall specifically, but is there a movie that triggers when you leave the mortuary for the first time? Maybe you have a corrupt movie file? If so, you could try using NE to switch yourself to the proper area.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.