1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game Crashing Problem

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Barmy Army, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've just bought HL2: EP1. I have seen plenty of people with an issue where the game freezes or crashes on load-up, but this is different. I can get into the game and play it, and it might last for 20 minutes or 20 seconds before the game just closes to desktop with no error messages at all.

Now, when I first installed Episode 1, it complained that my graphics card drivers were out of date and this may cause problems, so I upgraded to the very latest nVidia drivers but the problem remains. I switched back a few months worth to driver version 81.98 but I still get the same problem.

It is worth noting that I have not yet noticed similar problems with HL2 of CS:Source.

My system spec is:
    2800 sempron
    1gb ddr ram
    geForce 6 6600 graphics card
    asrock mobo with on board sound
    200gb HD

I've reinstalled the latest DirectX and that didn't fix it. I even went back to the shop and exchanged the game for a different copy, uninstalled then reinstalled using the new copy. That didn't fix it.
    I checked the CPU temperature and it's running at 59 degrees, which should be fine, surely?

Something must be causing this, I just can't seem to figure out what. Anybody got any suggestions?

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    EP1 is just one of those small extensions to the story line right?
    I find it odd then that it mentions your graphic card, I mean, basically it's the same game, with perhaps new textures, right?

If it installed over the original HL2, it could be that EP1 introduced a bug into the same graphic engine that is used by the original HL2.
    Can you still play the original HL2? Maybe you should check if the bug has appeared there as well.

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thanks for replying mate.
    If that is the case, how do I fix it?

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The problem of course resides in the extension you installed, you can do very little but wait for the patch or search the HL2 forums for people who have the same problem as you.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    CS:Source seems to work fine, I haven't yet tried the original HL2, but this might rule out a problem with the engine... :(
    doing my head in this.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.