1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gaming cd question

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by kuemper, Aug 24, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I have 2 games fully installed on my computer - NWN and Dungeon Siege II that have this...probelm. I don't have alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools or a virtual drive.

When I want to play either game, it asks for a specific cd. I put it in and play the game. Now, my husband also plays these games and we multiplay across a LAN in them. I start the game first, then open my D: drive and hand him the cd to use.

What is making it okay to play without the cd? I know there's a code or something so you have to have the cd in to start the game, but it's okay to take it out? :confused:

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The CD is only needed for verification that you have a legal copy.

3. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

What Morgoth said.

However, I thought that NWN didn't require a verification CD if you had the 1.67 patch installed... Are your games patched, kuemper?

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I don't need to use the cd for NWN, [content removed, we don't condone warez and/or cracks of any type, no matter the justification] -dmc

[ August 24, 2006, 19:19: Message edited by: dmc ]

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

NWN is patched but not DS II. Stupid connection won't stay up long enough to get DS II patch.

I just find it strange that I can remove the cd in these 2 games, but not with, say, BG and KotOR.

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Probably because you didn't do a full install with BG, some of the data the game needs is then still stored on the cds and not on the computer itself.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

All my games are fully installed, though. Weird.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Then I can only assume the games in question do not actively check for the CD being present in the CD drive...or maybe they just check that its in the drive when you start up...but then don't bother once your actually playing the game.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Games usually use pre-made tools such as Securom, Safedisc, Laserlock, and the infamous StarForce to validate the CD/DVD. When the program is started, the drive is checked for a disc and that the disc is the correct one. More info on Wikipedia. Also try searching for Blue-Ray and HD-DVD, since they have some interesting info about new copy-protections that you should consider -if you are going to upgrade.

But it's up to you do you really want to bugger with the discs. I don't. Ironically, I had to download a game from the net just a few weeks ago simply because the copy-protection did not accept the real, purchased CD I had. :nolike:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.