1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gay marriage in New York

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by dmc, Jun 27, 2011.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't think I saw this mentioned anywhere, which is somewhat surprising considered how much we like to carry on about this.

New York legalized gay marriage, which will take effect July 24.

It's by far the largest and most politically relevant state to do this.

My thought is that this will get the ball rolling to making it legal in the majority of the country, although I imagine several states will dig their heels in for decades.

Thoughts?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the rate at which public opinion has shifted on gay marriage in the last 20 years is nothing short of astonishing. And considering the population of New York state, this vote effectively doubled the number of gays legally eligible to marry in the country.

Very happy for them. Next up, California.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

DR is right, we've come a long way recently, but the real hurdle is the Conservative States. Do you think a Texas will ever be on board with this?

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    How sensible to eventually enact a legal instrument to solve the (messy) everyday legal and status problems arising for cohabiting gay couples (before such laws there are little instruments available to them beyond contract, and contracts don't address the inevitable status issues). Simply denying them the status primarily because the religious folks detest homosexuality doesn't contribute anything in that regard. It is dogmatic, not constructive. This law will probably will be reduce workload for the courts, and save the taxpayer money. Congrats, if one is to be congratulated for displaying some good sense.

On the other hand, New York is doomed now. Beware, of hurricanes as expressions of God's wrath.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Blades,

Honestly? Probably not for a long, long time. As progressive as Houston, Dallas and Austin are (major cities tend to be more forward-thinking), Texas as a whole is a giant sea of redneckery. Other states are worse, but if I had to guess I'd say we'll be one of the last states to turn.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think Utah would be last, but yeah, Texas is on the short list.

Don't forget however about the Prop 8 fight still unresolved in California. That's the flood gate. Synopsis - Prop 8 ruled unconstitutional in US District Court. Ruling appealed to the Circuit Court. Circuit Court punts, and hands the case to the California Supreme Court - arguments will be held in September of this year.

EDIT: There is even some question of whether or not the group in favor of upholding the ban - "Protect Marriage" have legal standing in the case. The Circuit Court punted because they stated that since the original defnedant in the case - then-governor Ahh-nold chose not to appeal, that the decision in the District Court stands.[/edit]

Anyway, the key here is that other states that have allowed gay marriage have done so by going after the State Constitutions, which legalizes gay marriage in that state, but has little impact elsewhere. The Prop 8 fight in California, OTOH, goes to the US Constitution. If Prop 8 is overturned, it would effectively become illegal for any state to enact a law banning same-sex marriage - unless the US Supreme Court takes up the case and overturns the CA SC's ruling.

To take it one step further, I'll say the future of gay marriage hinges on this decision. If Prop 8 is upheld, then it logically follows that any state can write into their Constitution a law banning same-sex marriage, and we'll have the decades-long fight DR speaks about. If Prop 8 is overturned, it's going to happen much, much quicker.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Allowing Gay Marriage is a big deal, as it crashes into the religion factor for most people. It makes me wonder what a Texas would do if it became illegal to ban Gay Marriage. They have talked about ceding before. I'm not saying that Texas is going anywhere, just saying this is such a big deal to alot of Christians that its impact could be huge and its ripples could affect generations.Looking to the future of our nation, it worries me that we are tackling issues that could cause rifts in our nation, as I want my kids to live and grow-up in a peaceful, war-less place where they don't ahve to worry about such matters(I know, probably wishful thinking!). These issues need tackling, but I hope when they are tackled that cooler heads prevail.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    He-he, DR. Our mayor could get married. That would really piss off the rest of "the giant sea of redneckery." :cool:

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  10. Blades of Vanatar

Pat Robertson... what a quack. I like his attempt to say no nation has turned to complete homosexuality and survived. No crap genius! Since no nation has turned completely that way in history, that one is a no-brainer.

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Funny how mr Robertson states that homosexuality was "the thing" the people of Sodom practised. They did a lot more than that.
    And if countries will be punished for gay marriage, Holland will be first. :p

Anyway, it's a good thing that gay marriage is legal in NY now. As a christian, I'm not particularly encouraging it, but I'm truly glad gay people can choose to marry if they wish. And it's about time. America is not a theocracy. Religious people shouldn't decide what others can do.
    (nor should non-religious people dictate others. Let's not forget that, as well.)

12. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's about time!

The only thing that bugs me is the amount of gay people who get annoyed with Christian churches that won't marry them. It's a bit like two muslims going into a Synagogue and demanding to to get married...(and I'm a half gay Christian!)

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Those idiots claimed that the Christchurch earthquake was sent by God because of all the evil homosexuals in New Zealand. Why do you give these sorts of religious extremists such airtime in the USA?

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. Allowing gay marriage ruins the divine institution of marriage, thereby lessening the sanctity of my own marriage. The government continues to erode the basic principle of freedom of religion.

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Splungfflinger.

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe last time it was Splarff. :D

17. Blades of Vanatar

Half-gay?

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    She's bi, I'd imagine

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The left side of her body.

20. Blades of Vanatar

Duh! For some reason, that went right over my head. I must be half-blonde...:D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.