1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gemification of the Mundane Avatars

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, you've probably noticed it by now. The mundane avatars are no more. It has all been replaced with a ranking system based on gems.

I have updated the FAQ ( http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html ) with info about it, so check that for details. If you have any questions or comments, post here!

(This won't take effect on all forums immediately, so you might still notice regular avatars in some places for a while.)

2. Silverblade Guest

They look a bit strange now, everybody with three gems instead of an avatar, well I guess it takes some time to get used to them.

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Again i'm with ya all the way tal. The gems look quite nice.

4. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

All hail the mighty Tal!

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Look at me! Look at me! I'm ... I'm ... quite valuable :D :D

6. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No better way of getting a headache than finding a topic where everyone have gems, then scrolling down quickly, while looking at the gems. In other words - I don't really like them.

7. DinoTiggy1 Guest

[​IMG] Awwwwww, I liked the old ones, want them back... NOW:almostmad::aww::aww:

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] LOL!!! I am soooooooooo glad I have a custom avatar!!! I do miss the eyeballs though! I couldn't handle life as a gem.

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Please promise me we don't get custom (glassfibre) gems!

10. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If you don't like the gems, there's a one-word solution: DONATE.

11. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hmmm---donate---been meaning to do that for awhile.

12. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Gems.....I...I like it Tal!!
    Nice one! Still original and still very good.
    So are we able to choose over to portraits now..i guess that would take a while to implement now.

Still..Im more special than you! na na na na na naa!

:D great work Tal!

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've just received a good suggestion, I think. Limit the gems to only one at a time, the latest one. It would definitely cut down the eye strain and distraction of staring at those gems. What do you think?

14. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

good idea in my opinion, though I'm a not a gem so.. :)

15. LMAO. Great idea Tal! Now all those other boards can be 'envious' of your creativity! ;)

16. Im really liking the idea Tal. Makes a lot of sense, and the three gems does hurt the eyes abit.

Do what you think is right, Im just glad your thoughtful enough to ask our opinions.

17. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Tal ... I like the gemstone idea. Talk about original! I'm honestly going to have to think hard about which gems are more valuable. I never paid that much attention in the game! ;)

I'm wondering ... when people are acting up on the boards and need their post count reduced ... do they get a big vancant space ... as if they were pick-pocketed? :lol:

18. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Interesting way of doing it Tal. I will have to see how this works,you may get me to work for a custom avatar.

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] neat idea, I like the gems. They are all smaller than my avatar. Cool :):roll::spin::square:

20. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] My first reaction was one of a minor shock. It's like those who haven't paid money to SP are now clearly branded. I like the system we had.
    If you've decided on using gems it might as well just be one rather than three, I agree on that.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited May 28, 2002).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.